NO Third Party for Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 8, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Carlton had a third Party deal to entice Judd to Carlton , however Melbourne are unable to do the same to retain Scully with the help of a third party sponsor .

Seems slightly unfair but it seems GWS are definately in the box seat to trade in Scully . Seems carlton got lucky at the time but now the AFL has tightened the rules and third Party deals will be included in the Salary Cap , unfortunately for Melbourne who have a third Party sponsor to help keep Scully

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/118456/default.aspx

What's stopping them? I thought the Judd/Visy business was something that was done simply because Carlton could (close and strong association with a successful Vic-based company), rather than because they were specifically "allowed" to by the AFL. Half the Crows side in the mid-'90s seemed to have cushy "sales rep" jobs with big local companies (like SA Breweries) as well that were likely arranged by the club (or the positions were given to them/created for them because of who they were), so it's not a new thing or something just limited to Carlton.

Geelong were also canvassing deals to keep Ablett last year. Can't remember if the AFL stopped all deals or just deals designed to keep him.

A couple of years back, it was just that the deal should include fair value for money and the AFL would approve it. Not sure of the wording of the new rules.

The rules have been tightened up since then so any arrangement entered into with the purpose of keeping someone at a club or getting them to move a club would go into the salary cap," he said

If that is the case why does Judd still receive money from the Visy Deal & it's not included in Carlton's salary cap.

What's stopping them? I thought the Judd/Visy business was something that was done simply because Carlton could (close and strong association with a successful Vic-based company), rather than because they were specifically "allowed" to by the AFL. Half the Crows side in the mid-'90s seemed to have cushy "sales rep" jobs with big local companies (like SA Breweries) as well, so it's not a new thing or something just limited to Carlton.

No, the AFL had to allow the Visy deal. There was a criteria it had to pass.

There is still nothing stopping a third party from making Scully an offer, whether that be a job or to use him to market a product or whatever. It just can't be organised by the MFC directly and be conditional on him staying at Melbourne.

If that is the case why does Judd still receive money from the Visy Deal & it's not included in Carlton's salary cap.

1. Does he still receive payments?

2. If yes, is it not in the cap?

3. If not in the cap, do they have the power to repeal the approval they have already given?

A bloke is allowed to have two jobs. Just promise Scully a 'spokesperson' position there if he signs with Melbourne.

If all third party involvements were included in the salary cap, everytime a player appears in an add, or on the radio, it would cost the club money. Therefore players would be banned from it, killing the promotion of the game.

Missed Q&A on Monday night, what did juddy have to say about the carbon tax?

That it is unnecessary.

Juddy plans on flying really fast around the world, effectively reversing its axis, eradicating all pollutants and covering the earth in forests. He is just waiting to get free time in his calendar, what with football, business, A List functions and ultrasounds.

I tell you what though. The AFL seem to come out and make pre-emptive comments whenever a big name player wants to go to one of their new teams. They are willing to do whatever it takes to ensure these players jump ship ... or so it seems.

On the new Ruling Carlton would not have able to trade in Judd using the third party incentive , the AFL wont allow such dealings now and will investigate thoroughly any third Party involvement in trading in Players and harsh penalties applied .

So unless a club is certain they are in the right , it would be unwise to use a third Party .

Yes the AFL are changing rules to suit their new franchises , sounds like they want Scully at GWS ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If this is true, this is a massive blow to the Dees' chances.

This to me is PR talk for "we will do everything in our power to ensure Scully has no alternative but to take the offer from GWS".

On the new Ruling Carlton would not have able to trade in Judd using the third party incentive , the AFL wont allow such dealings now and will investigate thoroughly any third Party involvement in trading in Players and harsh penalties applied .

The AFL are changing rules like they are changing their socks right now. Like ODN alluded to it is almost like they want the new clubs to get a free shot at the young stars and are changing rules to suit to make this happen which stinks to high heaven.

There are a heap of current and past players that are on 3rd party deals etc that the AFL themselves allowed after giving it the o.k and then and then can the club proceed with it.

So unless a club is certain they are in the right , it would be unwise to use a third Party .

You would think so and i doubt any clubs would proceed with 3rd party payments if they are not given the Green light by the AFL like all the others that have preceded this event.

There is still nothing stopping a third party from making Scully an offer, whether that be a job or to use him to market a product or whatever. It just can't be organised by the MFC directly and be conditional on him staying at Melbourne.
Correct.

That it is unnecessary.

Juddy plans on flying really fast around the world, effectively reversing its axis, eradicating all pollutants and covering the earth in forests. He is just waiting to get free time in his calendar, what with football, business, A List functions and ultrasounds.

Haha pay that

I don't and didn't have an issue with the Visy deal with Judd, so long as it was not organised by Carlton FC directly and it wasn't a part of the trade negotiations. In the end, the AFL gave it the green light, so we'll have to go by that, regardless of rule changes since then to the way third party deals are treated.

As a whole, I am generally uncomfortable with the AFL regulating private companies making sponsorship deals with players. It should be between the player and the company only, with of course an exception if there is evidence that the club arranged it with a view to circumventing the salary cap.

I wouldn't be suprised if hundreds have players have 3rd party deal that were organised by their clubs (although I'm sure both parties will deny if ever questioned). The AFL want Scully to go to GWS, that's why getting on the front-foot in this particular case.

I wouldn't be suprised if hundreds have players have 3rd party deal that were organised by their clubs (although I'm sure both parties will deny if ever questioned). The AFL want Scully to go to GWS, that's why getting on the front-foot in this particular case.

Exactly my feeling too.

There was a rumour mongering article on the AFL website about Scully going to GWS a while back. Given the emotion involved in such a player movement, they really should not get involved in mainstream media type speculation. The AFL have inside sources at GWS and won't to know about how they are progressing. Speculating smacks of inside knowledge when they do it.

They seemed to have cleared the midseason negotiation taboo that many thought was in place.

It just seems they are hoping to do an NRL style midseason signing, get all the angst out of the way now, soften up the Dees for the inevitable compensation deal, and clear the way for other players to follow Scully now that the guilt factor has been somewhat absorbed.

Long term it is not necessarily the case, but short term, non-expansion clubs are about as important to the AFL as navel lint.

Seems Carlton got lucky at the time but now the AFL has tightened the rules

The AFL knew it had wrecked one of its top Victorian clubs with its ridiculous salary cap penalties, but couldn't lose face by going back on the punishment.

Turning a blind eye to the Judd/VISY arrangement was their way of getting one of their biggest franchises back on track, without having to admit they probably went a bit too far with the fines and draft exclusions.

Standard AFL policy - make another mistake to cover up the last one.

They use the exact same approach when it comes to changing the game's rules.

The AFL try and manipulate the system to get players to their pet projects ..been happening since the Swans were relocated..they made sure Locket was traded to the Swans, and no other club could get a look in .

They are doing the same with Scully ..i'd love to see him thumb his nose at them and stay with the Dees ...but i can't see it happening .

As for 3rd party payments ..there are over 100 players in the comp receiving these.

Maybe Scully was offered a Holiday Home in Bright or Mt Buller whichever is the best , I would imagine many Melbourne contacts would have spare realestate in the area .

Anyway it didn't work !

Often wondered why Wirra's Toyota Prado looked so brand new .

Remove this Banner Ad

NO Third Party for Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back