Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

I could be wrong but the issue with what he said is probably not so much about accusations that a player is gay, and more because he’s chosen to use sexual orientation as an insult.

This.

It doesn't matter who he said it to, the AFL doesn't want this stuff being said, at all, to anyone.

The AFL also know there's gay players, the teams know there's gay players, the players know there's gay players. Making the game a place where being gay isn't an acceptable put-down or a slur, makes it a game that gay players will play. Same as we no longer accept racial slurs because we want Aboriginal players to play and feel safe to be who they are.

Some will call this virtue signalling and wokeness, I just think it's being a decent human being. Plenty of ways to sledge someone without picking on their race or sexuality.

I could be wrong but the issue with what he said is probably not so much about accusations that a player is gay, and more because he’s chosen to use sexual orientation as an insult.
to me it's that he's presented being non-straight as a bad thing

Campbell Gray had a best on ground performance in the VFL kicking a bag and taking 5 marks. Copped an 8 week hamstring injury in the dying stages. You can take the lad out of Essendon but not the Essendon out of the lad.

I think this one is absolute bullshit. Mansell bent down to get the ball, started to come up, saw Boyd coming, and he ducked straight back down. Boyd would've been expecting to tackle a bloke who was more or less upright. It also looks like Boyd tried to pull up the moment Mansell ducked but by that point the impact was unavoidable.

That said, **** Carlton!
It'll be a really interesting hearing. I'm guessing the AFL will argue that Boyd should have tried to tackle, not bump and so he's accountable for the contact. I'm not sure there's be an appeal for forceful front-on contact for like...a decade. So who knows how the tribunal will receive that argument. It's basically been all but eliminated from the game post blake caracella's neck injury. the last time I talked about this, I tried to find some of the initial suspensions that happened in 2007-2008 when the rule change happened, and man, it's just impossible to think Ben Johnson's bump at ~1h:08m would ever happen again. the instances of forceful front-on that still happen tends to see the player massively slowing down to reduce the impact (Goldstein had one of these earlier in the season I think).

Last edited:
It'll be a really interesting hearing. I'm guessing the AFL will argue that Boyd should have tried to tackle, not bump and so he's accountable for the contact. I'm not sure there's be an appeal for forceful front-on contact for like...a decade. So who knows how the tribunal will receive that argument. It's basically been all but eliminated from the game post blake caracella's neck injury. the last time I talked about this, I tried to find some of the initial suspensions that happened in 2007-2008 when the rule change happened, and man, it's just impossible to think Ben Johnson's bump at ~1h:08m would ever happen again. the instances of forceful front-on that still happen tends to see the player massively slowing down to reduce the impact (Goldstein had one of these earlier in the season I think).

Watching again Boyd never went to tackle. I think he intended to do a sort of bump shove thing over the boundary but when Mansell ducked Boyd had nowhere to go.

You're right, it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Lmaoooooo after 3 hours the tribunal still found him guilty but stepped in to change the impact level even though the guidelines say that forceful front on contact should be medium impact due to the injury risk.

This ruling should make almost no one happy except for carlton fans. Amazing

Edit: they won't do it but the AFL should probably appeal, and I'm only partly saying that because it'd make me laugh. Like, they rejected Carlton's arguments that it was not an offence and that it was below low impact anyway, but have stepped in anyway to say it was low impact. This is hilarious

Last edited:
Nothing I post should be taken too seriously. 6 weeks for calling someone a bad word when there's no openly gay players seems unnecessarily punitive imo
My guess is the AFL wanted to send a message that this simply isn't ok. Everything they do these days is targeted towards how they want the game perceived at junior and grass roots levels every bit as much as protecting AFL players from abuse within the player ranks so by whacking this one with a sledgehammer they're trying to send that message far and wide that it's simply not acceptable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So which one of our guys did Finlayson call a ******? No players in the AFL are gay so how is that an insult?
Team Esports GIF by Rogue

Remove this Banner Ad

Back