Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, this is shaping up as one of the most exciting/close seasons in years and we are the most stable we've been as a club in a long time, I'm more interested now to see how it plays out over the next few years than I was in the past.
Certainly the stability at the club is the best it has been in years. Even Robbo/Sheeds have been quiet.

The saga decimated the club and the focus post was rebuilding the brand and putting players in cotton wool. When the fog cleared there was glaring problems in the football operations side. Worsfold doused the media flames then Rutten tried but was unable to command the respect an experienced coach can and was not polished enough for the media. He was sorta on a hiding to nothing.

Enter Scott, like him or hate him he has an impressive resume, from senior coach, umpires boss and AFL operations, instantly having AFL/media approval. Obviously having built up media skills/resillience in those roles, maybe even professional training, esp as umpires boss. He commanded respect just on his standing in the game. Even though I love Hird, thank god we didn't go there!

Now from the playing group perspective we seem to at last have some depth and some competing for spots. Also over the "waiting for Daniher to come good" period which stalled our growth. With better depth the VFL player development will ramp up by just being competitive. We still have many holes but finally seem to be addressing them.

It will take time but at least the building blocks seem to be in place for us to be at last competing with the big boys. Apart from premierships, that is what gives the fans something week to week.

I'm onboard too, go Dons!

As the years slowly roll on, do you guys find yourself caring less and less about the game?

I swear to God I only have a cursory knowledge of opposition lists nowadays. I just can't commit to a team which is so endemically s**t
Someone asked me who my favourite player was the other day - I couldn't even name one I was looking forward to seeing perform this year.

The last decade has just torched everything except resentment and disappointment. We used to have superstars, we used to have integrity, we used to have success, character, a brand, a flavour of being, a culture.

There's nothing left. Just a bland sameness. It reminds me of eating four day old leftovers in the fridge - you're only having it because there's nothing else.

Was unsure where to ask this, can anyone tell me what the knock on Patrick Voss was while he was at the Dons?
He's a one trick pony. Very good lead/mark and accurate set shot but that was it.

Someone asked me who my favourite player was the other day - I couldn't even name one I was looking forward to seeing perform this year.

The last decade has just torched everything except resentment and disappointment. We used to have superstars, we used to have integrity, we used to have success, character, a brand, a flavour of being, a culture.

There's nothing left. Just a bland sameness. It reminds me of eating four day old leftovers in the fridge - you're only having it because there's nothing else.
My favourite players are Redman, Merrett, Ridley and Draper.

I'm always optimistic at the start of each season. I like the enthusiasm of the young kids and seeing how the trades fit with the rest of the team.

I feel that the covid seasons changed my feeling about footy. Before that I would watch all 9 games, every weekend. Not now. While I'm still interested in the results - particularly Essendon's - I'm not overly invested in the results or even the games. It feels kind of healthy, given where our team is placed. Bad for my tipping form though.

Ridley and Martin for me. they're both consistently top performers who'll give it their all regardless of the scoreboard.

He's a one trick pony. Very good lead/mark and accurate set shot but that was it.

Also work rate wasn’t good enough for an undersized KPF from reports.

Physically he’s strong for his size and seems to have good hands. If he gets his work rate up he’ll be fine, but you need serious tricks to make it work as an undersized KPF at AFL level. Jack Darling was a freak athlete, Charlie Curnow the same.

Was unsure where to ask this, can anyone tell me what the knock on Patrick Voss was while he was at the Dons?
Read the Voss thread in the past players :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it's only pre-season but Dees look hungry.,

A lot of people are thinking they could drop off this year, especially with their off field issues.

Will be an interesting year.

A lot of people are thinking they could drop off this year, especially with their off field issues.

They look good and Carlton look trash. Looked trash last week as well. Like they did in the first half of the year last year.

They must have one of the worst midfield to forwardline connection in the league.

I’d be waiting a bit longer than half time of a preseason match to judge the fortunes of a teams season. The grind of the season sorts all the teams out. We’ll know by the dog days in July how all the off field stuff has affected this group.

Suns will go backwards under dimma imo going to take him a while to instill the gameplan he wants. For one playing mac Andrew in the run is a horrible positional move, really started to come on as a defender last year.

Suns will go backwards under dimma imo going to take him a while to instill the gameplan he wants. For one playing mac Andrew in the run is a horrible positional move, really started to come on as a defender last year.
gold coast looked terrible in both pre season games

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back