Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots of “Massimo a lock for all Australian” press today

Sigh

I know there were knocks on him defensively but in hindsight (or even foresight) his output surely justifies the risks of keeping him

He has been getting better and better by the week. Turning into a real weapon.

We aren’t really a club that can afford to be letting all Australians go for pick 61

Sigh

I know there were knocks on him defensively but in hindsight (or even foresight) his output surely justifies the risks of keeping him

We aren’t really a club that can afford to be letting all Australians go for pick 61
Unfortunately it looks as though this will go down as one of our big trade/free agency blunders.

Credit to him though, he saw an opportunity at the Hawks and will now likely be playing finals. Hard to be mad at him, or the Hawks, when they clearly have the professional mindset required to bottom out and rebuild within a couple of years. Wish we could do that.

Last edited:
Hawthorn are a blueprint of how we should run our recruitment and development. They've won premierships, bottomed out and overtaken us without us winning a final in that same period.

They're bloody good to watch too.
True but you have to get to the point where you are good first .
We are more in Melbourne or Richmond territory. Trying to get out of years of failures.
Can not really be where the Hawks are until you build it and win first .

Last edited:

Sigh

At the end of the day we didn't let him go for 61, we had no choice given he would have counted as a DFA. We let him go because he wanted 2 years... which is even more baffling given some of the contracts we've handed out not just historically but recently. (Cough McGrath Cough)

Sometimes it feels like we as a club just can't build around what player can do and instead worry about what they can't do. In the end it leaves us with a lot of mid tier players who aren't amazing at anything.

Even someone like Dustin Martin would have probably been ruined at Essendon.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it looks as though this will go down as one of our big trade/free agency blunders.

Credit to him though, he saw an opportunity at the Hawks and will now likely be playing finals. Hard to be mad at him, or the Hawks, when they clearly have the professional mindset required to bottom out and rebuild within a couple of years. Wish we could do that.

Taking the positive stance,
For all the criticism of us in the draft, we are absolutely nailing the talent in mid season/preseason drafts.

If we could translate that success into the first round and start getting some real difference makers in then we could be cooking with gas. Caddy appears to be a good start, we just need more.

Sigh

What a load of bollocks. Look at his overall stats for the year and his above average games are far and few between and isn't categorized as elite in any of the stats for the year. Just because the majority of the team has had a purple patch and have been able to click against the crap teams (mostly - Blues were doing it rough) doesn't mean he's AA and if that were to ever be the case then the AA system would be outed as completely broken and a farce. There wasn't a peep about Mass last week and yet when Hawks win the win as attributed to Mass by the Mass cultists. Lmao.

Sigh

To be fair to the club he was having Menzie level impact on games in his final year with us, racking up unaccountable touches off halfback. A one year deal wasn’t unreasonable (it’s not like we delisted him) and potentially quite generous if the rumours of attitude issues were true.

What a load of bollocks. Look at his overall stats for the year and his above average games are far and few between and isn't categorized as elite in any of the stats for the year. Just because the majority of the team has had a purple patch and have been able to click against the crap teams (mostly - Blues were doing it rough) doesn't mean he's AA and if that were to ever be the case then the AA system would be outed as completely broken and a farce. There wasn't a peep about Mass last week and yet when Hawks win the win as attributed to Mass by the Mass cultists. Lmao.
Yeah the press is a bit ott

But I’ve been watching most hawks games and he has been very good across the last stretch

He stands out because he has a point of difference.. elite foot skills

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But I’ve been watching most hawks games and he has been very good across the last stretch

Serviceable at times is a different story. Most role players would look good if the rest of the team is clicking for a period of time. Clicking we were not. Otherwise his defensive liability outweighs the serviceability.

He stands out because he has a point of difference.. elite foot skills

Because it's an "underdog" story. Rookie "making a new name for himself" after being "axed" (the common theme). For him anything occasionally above average would be "look at this" whereas for others, it's just "__ doing __ things". It sells articles and I'm all for having a bit of fun but gotta reel it in and keep it realistic.

I have nothing against Mass, I hope for his sake he develops, but seeing people become so reactionary over hyperbole makes you question if the Dead Internet Theory is true.

Serviceable at times is a different story. Most role players would look good if the rest of the team is clicking for a period of time. Clicking we were not. Otherwise his defensive liability outweighs the serviceability.

Because it's an "underdog" story. Rookie "making a new name for himself" after being "axed" (the common theme). For him anything occasionally above average would be "look at this" whereas for others, it's just "__ doing __ things". It sells articles and I'm all for having a bit of fun but gotta reel it in and keep it realistic.

I have nothing against Mass, I hope for his sake he develops, but seeing people become so reactionary over hyperbole makes you question if the Dead Internet Theory is true.
Ok. Let’s see how his career ends up.

Regardless of whether it’s star of the comp vs role player, EFC let go an asset (elite field kick) when we didn’t have any others of that kind bar Merrett.

While holding numerous mediocre small forwards and middling key defenders

Alex Neal-Bullen wants out of MFC…what’s going on down there??
They can’t afford to lose players like him especially after losing Brayshaw earlier this year. They need to have a mini-rebuild and attack this super draft hard before Tassie turns up. Shouldn’t be wasting picks on Dan Houston

They can’t afford to lose players like him especially after losing Brayshaw earlier this year. They need to have a mini-rebuild and attack this super draft hard before Tassie turns up. Shouldn’t be wasting picks on Dan Houston
Norf making a big play for Viney. Clarry rumoured to be gettable. And then the dissatisfaction of Petracca.

We look comparatively stable 😮

I think another part of it is wanting to get back home with family in SA.

goodwin has restarted his meth programme that won them the 2021 premiership

Sam McClure the source so not sure if serious ..Blues looking at Xavier Campbell as CEO

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back