Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes we can. 50/50. Especially as a former captain. Someone should be self-aware of their situation rather than undermining the playing group for selfish reasons. Hence what sets Dusty and Hawkins apart from Hepp. They've won flags, have everyone on their D and the playing group's/club's loyalty, yet still had the wherewithal to hang up the boots. Hepp knows the club is in an awkward position to keep him away as a "favourite son" and he's chosen to milk that.

Could retire with dignity like Dusty and Hawkins. Especially since Hawkins has been in way better form very recently and had people think he had another 2 years in him.

For this reason people will look back on Hawkins as an upstanding player and Hepp would've soured his legacy to the last drop.

Oh spare me.

Him playing on is entirely on the clubs head for not making a tough call.

There is nothing wrong with him or anybody else wanting to prolong their career.

Yes there is if it's clear he's past it. Which he has been. It's selfish. Should be way better than that as a past captain, as have past players that have retired on their own accord for that very reason. Spare me.
Well, he was actually pretty solid for the first half of the year. Heppell getting a run has really done a number on you hasn’t it?

What about Tommahawk pulling the pin ?
Essendon would be like
Happy Steve Martin GIF by Laff
Torched our club more than any other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Nick Gill.

Dusty is probably the best exhibit of why trying to rank players (especially across eras) is kind of dumb. Do you rank peak over longevity? AAs and similar (individual award) over finals wins (teams based)?

His peak seasons were amazing, and his ability to raise his game to new levels in the most important game(s) of the season was just incredible to watch. 3 x Norm Smith medals is a crazy achievement

I always rate on peak ability over a two-three year period.

Hepp was rated a top 50 player by champ data halfway through the season wasn't he? Meanwhile Dusty has done **** all except for the game he played against us and will probably unretire to go to Gold Coast anyway.

Yes we can. 50/50. Especially as a former captain. Someone should be self-aware of their situation rather than undermining the playing group for selfish reasons. Hence what sets Dusty and Hawkins apart from Hepp. They've won flags, have everyone on their D and the playing group's/club's loyalty, yet still had the wherewithal to hang up the boots. Hepp knows the club is in an awkward position to keep him away as a "favourite son" and he's chosen to milk that.

Could retire with dignity like Dusty and Hawkins. Especially since Hawkins has been in way better form very recently and had people think he had another 2 years in him.

For this reason people will look back on Hawkins as an upstanding player and Hepp would've soured his legacy to the last drop.
Nah. Everyone has the right to look after their own interests. It's not his responsibility to retire if the club wants him to play on and is offering him another contract (touch wood this isn't the case).

Otherwise I'm sure you also begrudge players like Cahill, Menzie, Brayden Ham, Nick Kommer, Ariel Steinberg etc. I mean they should all be self-aware enough to realise they're no good and will only bring the club's chances of success down, how selfish of them to still push to be on an AFL list instead of just stepping away from the game?

Load of tripe.

Nah. Everyone has the right to look after their own interests. It's not his responsibility to retire if the club wants him to play on and is offering him another contract (touch wood this isn't the case).

Otherwise I'm sure you also begrudge players like Cahill, Menzie, Brayden Ham, Nick Kommer, Ariel Steinberg etc. I mean they should all be self-aware enough to realise they're no good and will only bring the club's chances of success down, how selfish of them to still push to be on an AFL list instead of just stepping away from the game?

Load of tripe.

Those weren't captains who supposedly cared about the club. They were also in the infancy of their careers, of course they're going to think their scope isn't reached. That's no excuse for a Heppell.

Just now we had another retirement in Gaff, who'll reach 280 in the final two matches of the season before he calls it quits, in a team devoid of maturity and leadership.

Taken earlier in the same draft year as Hepp and actually featured in the AA twice, same age.

If these players, who were all better than Hepp that have recently retired are able to hang up the boots and have self-awareness without holding a club to ransom due to "self-interest", then there's no reason Heppell can't do the same unless it was due to pure ego and a direct contradiction to how he views the club. Continuing to play while seeing the club as a teet to milk from only tarnishes his legacy further. If you're still at the stage of self-interest at his stage then it says it all really.

He can do as he wishes, but damage to his legacy, character and morals are consequences of that. That's where we disagree. Spare me.

Last edited:
i'm fairly sure with about a minute of tickering with the best search term, I could find many West Coast fans begging Andrew Gaff to retire........last season. these just seem like insane comparisons

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back