Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

This year they’ve beaten Dogs, Lions, Giants and Blues ..so four wins against top 8 sides. They lost by 1 point to Port and two points against Giants

That's not what I said. They've only beaten one top 4 side (GWS) but lost to them in the other game. In the last 3 months, they have played only 3 sides that were good, GWS and Geelong twice to go 1-2.

As for Dogs/Lions, which were not in the 3 months I specified, people are quick to brush off Hawthorn's early form yet sweep aside the fact that the Dogs and Lions weren't good back then either. Picking and choosing. Fact is they've had a dream draw especially in the second half of the season and Mass has downhill skii'd off the back of that. Has he been a worthy role-player? Yes. Is he elite? Hell no.

Last edited:
That's not what I said. They've only beaten one top 4 side (GWS) but lost to them in the other game. In the last 3 months, they have played only 3 sides that were good, GWS and Geelong twice to go 1-2.

As for Dogs/Lions, which were not in the 3 months I specified, people are quick to brush off Hawthorn's early form yet sweep aside the fact that the Dogs and Lions weren't good back then either. Picking and choosing. Fact is they've had a dream draw especially in the second half of the season and Mass has downhill skii'd off the back of that. Has he been a worthy role-player? Yes. Is he elite? Hell no.
No. Mass has been superb. Terrific season by the 21 yo. You really are going over the top to prove otherwise

No. Mass has been superb. Terrific season by the 21 yo. You really are going over the top to prove otherwise

Mass has been an average role player who's done well as a 21 yr old who's occasional good games are rated over others that are similar because of how he came into the system/Hawks having a patch over shit sides. Pushing this narrative that you can't call a spade a spade just because a player left you is pathetic.

Hawks aren't a lock for finals.

"Will" give finals a massive shake. As in they'll be there and "shake" the results in it.

"Finals" is different to "the top 8". One implies the event, the other implies the team standings that qualify for it. I am right. You let it go.

The top 8 = positions
Finals = knockout event

You're hilarious.

He'll come out and be like "heh heh yeah guys, you're right, I meant the positions... heh heh 😅:$"

That's not what I said. Will give finals a shake meaning they're a top 8 chance.
Remember this CMC? Given you bump up any of the rare posts where you actually get something right to pat yourself on the back I assume you wanted this embarrassing sequence bumped as well?

This year they’ve beaten Dogs, Lions, Giants and Blues ..so four wins against top 8 sides. They lost by 1 point to Port and two points against Giants.

They beat Freo and Pies recently …if they lost to either then those sides also would have made the eight. Plus they’ve not just won a lot of games they’ve thrashed quite a few
Their draw has been rated as tough as ours and most people think ours was as hard as a limp you know what.

Essendon5966Easier by 7
Hawthorn5766Easier by 9

Doggies gonna pump em

All this talk about Mass is beyond embarrassing. He's been very good in a system that has allowed him to play to his strengths.

Is he AA squad good? Debatable but there's always debatable selections in the squad and it seems strange to get so hung up on this one.

I wonder how many people would have norf as their second team
There's literally 20k norf supporters in existence

Also it's very frustrating to see Hawthorn flying but credit to them. They might get found out in finals but that's the next steps for a youngish team who are on the rise. They might surprise also, we'll only know when we see it and understand what they learned out of the Geelong game.

Having said that, **** Hawthorn. It's not nice being jealous of a club you hate but here I sit :(

All this talk about Mass is beyond embarrassing. He's been very good in a system that has allowed him to play to his strengths.

Is he AA squad good? Debatable but there's always debatable selections in the squad and it seems strange to get so hung up on this one.
My main query with his selection is recency bias. IMO Nick Martin has been far better than him this season. He gets the ball in congestion and gets forward to kick multiple goals. His kicking is at times wayward but also at times incisive. That one comparison between players shows you how strong recency bias can be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My main query with his selection is recency bias. IMO Nick Martin has been far better than him this season. He gets the ball in congestion and gets forward to kick multiple goals. His kicking is at times wayward but also at times incisive. That one comparison between players shows you how strong recency bias can be.
I don't take issue with people debating it in the manner you have but some of the commentary has been salt laden crap presumably because he played for us and is now doing well at Hawthorn.

I'd say there's more reason to question Rayner being in the squad but that's barely rated a mention. Rayner had a good 4 or 5 weeks a couple of months back but outside of that has been average imo.

Last edited:
Hawthorns run into finals is interesting and could take them either way.

Adelaide - big win but crows without Dawson, Rankine, Thilthorpe or Walker

GWS - loss and folded when GWS ramped up the pressure.

Carlton - Carlton with nobody on the bench

Richmond - checked out.

North -checked out.

Lots of big wins but not much pressure coming. Has that built confidence or will they come up against a fire breathing dogs team and not remember how to cope with it.

Will be a good game to watch I reckon.

Remember this CMC? Given you bump up any of the rare posts where you actually get something right to pat yourself on the back I assume you wanted this embarrassing sequence bumped as well?
I prefer pragmatic Ethan to aggressive Ethan, but I approve of this post.

Mass had an excellent season in a system that highlighted his talents and didn't expose his deficiencies. We ****ed up letting him go considering we tried so many different combinations in his spot. That's on Brad Scott though, not Dodoro.

Cam Rayner on the other hand is an egregious selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back