Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

all australian is a bit of a piss take this year.

west coast has more players (as of this post) than gws, port, geelong, brisbane, hawthorn and bulldogs
McGovern and Waterman are hard to argue against

it's not that i disagree with their selections, it's more so like, all these top 8 teams have had standout players that just... didn't get selected? idk, i don't really care for the team but that's me

Waterman is very easy to argue against. He was the 6th best key forward this season

I find it surprising people still care about the All Australian team and Brownlow.

People care about the sport and those are big awards in the sport.
It's hardly surprising people are going to care.
Half of sports conversation is arguments over who is better, AA is that made formal.

It doesn't really matter to fans but it does come into how players are ranked career wise. For the players themselves obviously it's a big deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just care that Zach missed out.
I get caring for him, because it probably means something to him.

But it's a popularity contest full of recency bias, groupthink and often made up of buffoons that show their lack of knowledge every time they speak.

In my experience, most diehards (on BigFooty or otherwise) have better knowledge than AA panels.

26 week suspension for the player who coward elbowed Jason Cloke, last week. Was an ugly, ugly incident.

I've listened to Pert and the president of Melbourne recently.

I see no reason not to take them at face value and they don't seem to think there is a problem. No problem with key planks of the premiership continually wanting to leave, no problem with a key figure in the team rightfully getting belted by a teammate for belittling non-premiership teammates, no problem with the state in which Oliver and Smith found themselves. Obviously no problem with Goodwin either.

This is a team that should have been in premiership contention.

Melbourne is a dumpster fire and with the president, Pert and Goodwin in 3 key positions you can rest assured that it will keep burning for long time.

What’s mind blowing is he’s in ICU with a serious injury obtained in a footy match and Roffey didnt think to call either him or his family?!! And still hasn’t!!

What’s mind blowing is he’s in ICU with a serious injury obtained in a footy match and Roffey didnt think to call either him or his family?!! And still hasn’t!!

Listening to Phil Davis speak on the topic he had a similar experience but he put it down to a bit of miscommunication on what was wanted at the time, a combination of not wanting to impose on the individual and also a want to limit the amount of people who know the information to prevent the info from being spread.

I don't think it's a black and white issue like it's presented.

Listening to Phil Davis speak on the topic he had a similar experience but he put it down to a bit of miscommunication on what was wanted at the time, a combination of not wanting to impose on the individual and also a want to limit the amount of people who know the information to prevent the info from being spread.

I don't think it's a black and white issue like it's presented.

It's more that it sounds like Melbourne is adopting the misinterpretation / miscommunication as its position.

Last week or the week before Pert was trying to brush it off along with everything else. Now its the president, is that Roffey? It was a staggeringly tone deaf interview she gave to Whatley yesterday. Exactly what I expect from people who are doubling down and not listening. It's no surprise because the dumpster has been smouldering for a long time and they've been pretending like there is no problem.

There are a few clubs who seem to me like that cannot shake the imprint of former greats which seems to be creating a problem. We know it's Ricciuto at Adelaide, whose personality and connections seem to have poisoned most things, and I am quite convinced that David King was instrumental in driving the debacle at North between 2019 and 2022. It feels like it is Lyon at Melbourne. There is this combination of maliciousness, spitefulness and arrogance that underpins the way the club presents itself publicly which is pretty consistent with my impression of Lyon. Contrary to the view that it would be Hird at Essendon, I think that person is more likely to be Watson who seems to be be the one who drives change at Essendon at least publicly, if it is a player.

Should have got life. He's the bloke that ends up king hitting a 16 year old from behind on the street and kills him and everyone says 'how could we have seen this coming?'

Or maybe if the assault is that serious it should be a police issue. Just because it happened on the field it doesn't mean it's still not an illegal act. This guy being brought up on assault charges would be more a deterrent than the suspension.

Should have got life. He's the bloke that ends up king hitting a 16 year old from behind on the street and kills him and everyone says 'how could we have seen this coming?'
Isn't 16 matches accrued in local footy a life ban which has to be overturned at a tribunal? So the player would have to appeal at the end of their suspension with reason why they should have playing status reinstated?

Isn't 16 matches accrued in local footy a life ban which has to be overturned at a tribunal? So the player would have to appeal at the end of their suspension with reason why they should have playing status reinstated?
Yep

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back