Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

They have clearly recruited to very specific talent needs, and a particular game style instead of just "we must have high picks". But the key is Mitchell, he clearly coaches them to be very relaxed with the ball in hand.
The reality is we dont have good leaders so the standards have to come from outside the group. This is why high picks are important for us and not others.

The thing with martin is at least he goes the aggressive option, it might not always come off but he backs himself.
Mitchell encourages his players to do that.
Scott has coached that out of guys like ridley who just go the short kick or kick down the boundary instead of backing themselves.
Nothing like seeing someone pass backward to Laverde

The thing with martin is at least he goes the aggressive option, it might not always come off but he backs himself.
Mitchell encourages his players to do that.
Scott has coached that out of guys like ridley who just go the short kick or kick down the boundary instead of backing themselves.
The stop start game is shit. Let players take the game on.

The negative footy got into the minds of our players and they look frustrated.

Knights footy was better than our second half season possession rubbish.

Just outstanding list management, it’s not even like Mass killed it in that one opportunity playing up forward for us late last year, that games gone from the old memory box
Most of the time Gresham is avoiding kicking straight drop punts instead trying to dribble or kick around corners or pass it off. When Mass was jumping all over one of those Hawks players after they kicked a goal I was genuinely stoked for him - we would have been well on the path to destroying him.

Just outstanding list management, it’s not even like Mass killed it in that one opportunity playing up forward for us late last year, that games gone from the old memory box
Which game was that?

I hope Scott and the players are watching this week.
Sir Alex Lol GIF by Manchester United

Plane Airplane GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't understand how anyone could watch tonights game and think we are anywhere close to achieving what Hawthorn have here.

I just wish I could be excited about our future
Yep, was very sobering how far we are off the pace watching tonights game.

We have too many ineffective talls and selection was mind boggling in some games (esp Dees).

I would trade Cox and Wright for a couple of mid sized bulls.

Someone had better beat those pricks. If Junk wins back-to-back premierships with two different clubs, I may just have to self-immolate in the middle of Windy Hill.

I hope Scott and the players are watching this week. The modern game relies less on dominating possession/stoppages and more on clean disposals, efficiency and punishing turnovers.

Basically a good back 6 with a player like Sicily, a good transition game, hard running and an efficient forward line is the way.

Dogs, Carlton, Port and Brisbane play an outdated gamestyle. They rely heavily on dominating stoppages, contested football and slowing the game down to win.

Collingwood last year, Sydney, GWS, Geelong and Hawthorn play the brand of football that works in this era of football. Hard running, intercepting, burning teams on transition and a fleet of small/medium forwards to crumb goal after goal. Fremantle will be on this list next year with Bolton.
Yep well put.

And to be honest it’s so hard to see us competing at this level.

i get the feeling Sam Mitchell trains the team with the skills and tricks to hold posession that he had, not to panic with the ball, and is a good tactician like his former coach..i've seen some training footage where he does just that, which makes you think, how would Hird have gone had he had a clean slate at coaching without all the psychological torture.
I know Hird’s name shall not be mentioned

But he would have been a great coach had he not been a moron

Last edited:
The stop start game is shit. Let players take the game on.

The negative footy got into the minds of our players and they look frustrated.

Knights footy was better than our second half season possession rubbish.
You need the cattle to do it. At times we did take the game on but turned the footy over. Playing non stop attack footy would have seen us giving up 80 points a week on turnover.

The Hawks have built a list based on speed, endurance and their usual standard, foot skills. Throw in the intercept ability and the ground ball winning ability and they have a combination that works.
They still play with fire defensively. They rely on intercept in the back half and speed across the ground to cover for an average zone defence and sides can move the footy against them but they are very good at intercepting across half back and they have plenty who get up and back all day which gives them attacking options.
It is not something we can replicate as we do not have the speed or endurance or the footskills across the whole side.
They basically run around you or through you all day.

So happy for Mass. He’s thriving among a group of young players who are all enjoying their afl careers, they’re skilled and fearless and each knows their job within a good system on game day.

I believe he is where he is meant to be imo. I wasn’t happy at all Ess traded him but this move is his destiny. I wish him every success.
To say Ess would have got this version of Mass was no gtee given our club culture doesn’t know how to develop and utilise raw talent and would rather keep playing the favs despite their lack of skill or output. As someone else posted he would be stuck in the 2’s. What a waste. I’m no hawk fan but their current group do remind me of our boys of 93.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back