Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Two things the hawks have in Mitchell are a coach that young players will gravitate to, he's a part of every department at the club, drafting, direction, 1 on 1 coaching.
Secondly someone who actively wants to play differently to the league.
No copy cat gameplan, they look at the trends of where the game is going and aim for that, hilarious seeing the comments from 12 months ago bagging them, this was always coming.

Now let's look at our coach, old school who makes the kids sit in the twos, plays the tallest team in the league and acts as a man manager that sits at the top and delegates down.
Plays players out of position for learning and flexibility instead of a preferred position that they can play on instinct.
People use youth as a reason for why we struggle, youth and instinct is the reason other teams succeed.

You don't have to be a genius to see which is going to work better with younger generations. Businesses all of the world are coming to the same conclusions around younger work forces. You need to be forward thinking, around org structure, working arrangements, they want to feel seen, empowered. Essendon just keep their old school insular we are Essendon so we will be good thinking.
We are ****ing Kodak.

Last edited:
Two things the hawks have in Mitchell are a coach that young players will gravitate to, he's a part of every department at the club, drafting, direction, 1 on 1 coaching.
No copy cat gameplan, they look at the trends of where the game is going and aim for that, hilarious seeing the comments from 12 months ago bagging them, this was always coming.

Now let's look at our coach, old school who makes the kids sit in the twos, plays the tallest team in the league and acts as a man manager that sits at the top and delegates down.
Plays players out of position for learning and flexibility instead of a preferred position that they can play on instinct.
People use youth as a reason for why we struggle, youth and instinct is the reason other teams succeed.

You don't have to be a genius to see which is going to work better with younger generations. Businesses all of the world are coming to the same conclusions around younger work forces. You need to be forward thinking, around org structure, working arrangements, they want to feel seen, empowered. Essendon just keep their old school insular we are Essendon so we will be good thinking.
We are ****ing Kodak.
But our guys didn’t want the young coach. They wanted an old school guy.
There are a few ways to win. Chris Scott has a record of playing old guys and leaving young guys in the VFL if he thinks they are not ready.
At the end of the day it’s more the club culture and getting the recruiting and development right.
Hawks did not go through several coaches or a supplement saga or have to jack hammer their list manager out.
We are where we are because the club has made bad decisions or not made the tough decisions.
Scott has made mistakes but he is also playing with aces and sevens.

But our guys didn’t want the young coach. They wanted an old school guy.
There are a few ways to win. Chris Scott has a record of playing old guys and leaving young guys in the VFL if he thinks they are not ready.
At the end of the day it’s more the club culture and getting the recruiting and development right.
Hawks did not go through several coaches or a supplement saga or have to jack hammer their list manager out.
We are where we are because the club has made bad decisions or not made the tough decisions.
Scott has made mistakes but he is also playing with aces and sevens.

I'm not putting it all on Scott, give him long enough this team will be competent.

I'm not saying it's the only way, but it's like we have all accepted that it's going to be slow.
I get kids sometimes need to learn in the vfl, I'd argue that would work better in good sides with established systems. When your mediocre (we aren't total rubbish) I think it's best to get rid of your 'veterans' because they are why you are where you are and you play the youth, in position, and to their strengths.

I get that we have to build standards, however at the end of the day, this is a professional sport, it does not take 3 years to get your standard to league average.

Not to devolve into the same convo we have had a few times but changes around the edges accomplishes very little. We need core changes to the list and the type of players we play and how we use them.

Hawks definitely have an energy about the way they play and licence to play with flair. Their pressure in the second quarter killed the Dogs.

Dogs held them quite well at stages and stopped their run but were poor in the middle and a non functioning forward line didn't help. Thought Dogs were getting a sniff early in the last but 2 crucial turnovers from Darcy snuffed anything out.

Port are not without a chance as Hawks been up for a while but hard to see them winning. Still in it though and teams can turn things around, no team has dominated all year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It might be the culture he walked into but I think Jones is mentally fragile compared to Dear.
I think Jones lacks a little confidence and goes missing at times but one of the positives IMO.

My 2c, we need another Dursma for the wing and have Jones&Caddy roaming the 50 arc. If they hit their straps could be very exciting.

Hawks definitely have an energy about the way they play and licence to play with flair. Their pressure in the second quarter killed the Dogs.

Dogs held them quite well at stages and stopped their run but were poor in the middle and a non functioning forward line didn't help. Thought Dogs were getting a sniff early in the last but 2 crucial turnovers from Darcy snuffed anything out.

Port are not without a chance as Hawks been up for a while but hard to see them winning. Still in it though and teams can turn things around, no team has dominated all year.
I think Port turn it around.

So happy for Mass. He’s thriving among a group of young players who are all enjoying their afl careers, they’re skilled and fearless and each knows their job within a good system on game day.

I believe he is where he is meant to be imo. I wasn’t happy at all Ess traded him but this move is his destiny. I wish him every success.
To say Ess would have got this version of Mass was no gtee given our club culture doesn’t know how to develop and utilise raw talent and would rather keep playing the favs despite their lack of skill or output. As someone else posted he would be stuck in the 2’s. What a waste. I’m no hawk fan but their current group do remind me of our boys of 93.
the talent was always there, i just don’t think the powers that be knew that it’s sometimes okay to sacrifice defensive ability in place of a punishing kick

Hoping Jones kept a close eye on how Dear goes about it. I see similarities.
Dear is a much better mark. Jones can watch all he wants but marking is simply not his one wood as far as the forward line goes. Dear has always had a marking ability.

the talent was always there, i just don’t think the powers that be knew that it’s sometimes okay to sacrifice defensive ability in place of a punishing kick
The powers to be knew his offensive ability. That is why he was never delisted. They under estimated the fact that someone else was looking very closely and the fact that they had already been selling a vision to him with a 2 year contract. We where always in a position to offer two years but we took an each way bet to hold off until the end of the year and we lost.
Great work from the Hawks team. Shoddy stuff from us and it was most likely part amunition they used to shuffle Dodoro out the door for good.

So happy for Mass. He’s thriving among a group of young players who are all enjoying their afl careers, they’re skilled and fearless and each knows their job within a good system on game day.

I believe he is where he is meant to be imo. I wasn’t happy at all Ess traded him but this move is his destiny. I wish him every success.
To say Ess would have got this version of Mass was no gtee given our club culture doesn’t know how to develop and utilise raw talent and would rather keep playing the favs despite their lack of skill or output. As someone else posted he would be stuck in the 2’s. What a waste. I’m no hawk fan but their current group do remind me of our boys of 93.
I couldn’t give a shit about Mass. He doesn’t play for Essendon and I have no investment in his career progress. I hope he has nothing but failure at Hawthorn.

We are ****ing Kodak.
Hold your horses. They haven’t won a premiership yet. Freo have won plenty of finals but nobody remembers any of them.

I was always salty on Scott dropping Mass after our round 3 loss against St. Kilda when he was one of our best on ground that night.

View attachment 2103311

Any wonder he went somewhere else in the end.
He ran around getting cheap touches when the coach wanted him to defend

Hold your horses. They haven’t won a premiership yet. Freo have won plenty of finals but nobody remembers any of them.

More commenting on the process of how they got to here being impressive, decisions made and the style they play.
They very well could be making a prelim which is my general marker for a successful season.

I was always salty on Scott dropping Mass after our round 3 loss against St. Kilda when he was one of our best on ground that night.

View attachment 2103311

Any wonder he went somewhere else in the end.

Are you serious? Literally the most glaring thing about that game was Mass constantly being shoved around/giving Saints forwards space that he was actively involved in 4 of their goals. The amount of stretching cultists are doing in order to push a narrative is unbelievable, to the point of gaslighting about what actually happened lmao.

He was a defensive wet leaf back then and still is. The rest of the Hawks team helping to gloss over it due to clicking against average teams like the Dogs hasn't changed that.

His kicking however was good, and his decision making on where to kick it (and not just how to) has improved. The rest of the Hawks team being more in tune in where to be has helped that. However there needs to be more consistent evidence of him being defensively minded and harder in a contest against elite teams before calling him elite. When he arrived at the Hawks there were crickets and when they were losing to good teams earlier in the year there were crickets. Proper analysis is based on facts and perspective not on media hype.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back