Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

30/6 - 25/8 = almost 3 months?

I was counting finals. Maybe it wasn't almost 3 months still but 2.5 months and that's damning. Keep in mind they were poor before the injuries and it was Carlton fans that were claiming they wouldn't be as bad as they were at the end of the season due to the ins. They were worse.

If their run of poor form began at the Hawks game then fine, but it didn't. Logic says they lost themselves to what was a developing game-wide trend of you need 80% of your side able to drag you across or you're left waddling behind.

If we take a step back and look at it from a wider perspective they haven't been able to be consistent for 3 years. Voss's coaching is on the line in 2025.

Last edited:
I was counting finals. Maybe it wasn't almost 3 months still but 2.5 months and that's damning. Keep in mind they were poor before the injuries and it was Carlton fans that were claiming they wouldn't be as bad as they were at the end of the season due to the ins. They were worse.

If their run of poor form began at the Hawks game then fine, but it didn't. Logic says they lost themselves to what was a developing game-wide trend of you need 80% of your side able to drag you across or you're left waddling behind.

If we take a step back and look at it from a wider perspective they haven't been able to be consistent for 3 years. Voss's coaching is on the line in 2025.

It's not unreasonable that some pressure should be on Voss to get significant results, I'd say a prelim should be a minimum expectation as long as they have an average injury run. That was a large part of my point. If they're bottom 2 for games missed the way they have been this year, they'll be an average team.

There is a lot of top end talent in its prime. There are kids who address some of their weaknesses who are entering their really productive years (if not quite their prime years). Voss, unlike Hinkley and Bevo, for example, has been trying to change to address the tactical and structural issues Carlton has. Maybe he can't do it but I think there is a body of work over the last 2 seasons which amounts to the combination of inside / ball winning brutality and clearance dominance and secondary clearance / turnover game that can win a flag.

But if they get into June next year and David King is calling for the violence to return because they're sputtering along as a relatively mediocre turnover team that will be the first sign that Voss has run his race.

Didn't Andrew Russell quit? The rumour being that he got pissed off with Voss putting players out there that shouldn't be playing at-odds with advice from Russell?
That is what they say.

Didn't Andrew Russell quit? The rumour being that he got pissed off with Voss putting players out there that shouldn't be playing at-odds with advice from Russell?

They got the swans fitness guy who oversaw the tigers team during their glory days.

Did anyone highlight the difference between Jake Kelly kicking a bloke who sat on his head and Jack Buckley low key saving Heeney from horrible injury during the same act?

Did anyone highlight the difference between Jake Kelly kicking a bloke who sat on his head and Jack Buckley low key saving Heeney from horrible injury during the same act?
Not advocating letting blokes getting horrible spinal injuries but Jack Buckley no good deed goes unpunished. Incredibly quick thinking and nice that Heeney's mum recognised that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kicking someone is the lowest of low, but that's just me

I'm quite fine for him to cop a fine or suspension from it, but given he'd just copped an actual flying knee to the head - which remains a genuine oddity in the concussion rules - and he kicked him about as hard as a 3 year old, it seems a weird thing to fixate on weeks after the fact, and after the player himself has even retired.

Also nowhere near as low as say; spitting on someone or resorting to racist comments.

I'm quite fine for him to cop a fine or suspension from it, but given he'd just copped an actual flying knee to the head - which remains a genuine oddity in the concussion rules - and he kicked him about as hard as a 3 year old, it seems a weird thing to fixate on weeks after the fact, and after the player himself has even retired.

Also nowhere near as low as say; spitting on someone or resorting to racist comments.

Only drawing the parallel from 2 similar incidents, one kicks out like a kid chucking the toys out the cot, one helps his fellow colleague. I guess the world is full of different people

Only drawing the parallel from 2 similar incidents, one kicks out like a kid chucking the toys out the cot, one helps his fellow colleague. I guess the world is full of different people

Eh they're not really similar, Buckley's reaction would have been instinctive based on how quickly it happened. Trying to sum up Kelly's entire career in one single incident is a bit of a weird one for me.

i would have been quite happy with Buckley saving Henry from significant spinal cord injury and then also tapping him gently on the buttocks with his foot afterwards

In an elimination final when they were struggling to get possession, and he was playing forward for a lot of that time when he was on ground. No, that's not a Bevo issue.
He went forward because Nash was tagging him out of the game. Bont goes forward kicks a couple and turns the game and suddenly everyone is saying what a move from the coaches.

Eh they're not really similar, Buckley's reaction would have been instinctive based on how quickly it happened. Trying to sum up Kelly's entire career in one single incident is a bit of a weird one for me.
A live ball. That's Kelly's entire career summed up, he kicked a bloke on the ground instead of going for the ball.

Nobody will remember him for anything else because he probably didn't do anything else. I certainly can't think of anything. Jake Kelly - the guy who kicked a bloke on the ground instead of going for the footy.

He went forward because Nash was tagging him out of the game. Bont goes forward kicks a couple and turns the game and suddenly everyone is saying what a move from the coaches.
He spent a fifth of those quarters off the ground and went forward instead of into the middle when he was on the ground.

And going into an elimination final, the only plan to break the tag was to send him forward, when it was clear he was needed in the middle.

Nope. Neither of those decisions are on Bevo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back