Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Of the players I've seen Ablett Senior, Buddy and possibly Goodes are the only players that get close. Peak Pavlich was pretty special, but he didn't maintain anything like his prime athletic capacity this late in his career., and Blicavs also rates a mention (but as a very different type of athlete).

Having said that peak Buddy and Danger is unlike anything else. That Danger has been the most powerful mid in the league for probably 12 years now is ridiculous. Even just comparing someone like JHF to Danger is not fair. JHF is a mortal playing the realm of the gods.
Carey & Brown (bris) were pretty good big game players physically too IMO.

Dunstall was the most powerful player I have seen but didn't have endurance. Just all fast twitch. At the age of 46 (also had two knee recos at the end of his career) he still ran sub 3 seconds for 20m when Hawthorn tested him at training. In 94 saw Dunstall live against McIntosh who was a champion runner and it was a contest not to be forgotten. Greg Williams told some crazy stories of Gaz Snr at early Geelong training including throwing the medicine ball several metres further than the next best and blitzing all the sprints but then declining to take part in any runs past 400 metres. Not sure I have mentioned this already but seeing Dangerfield one out at full forward occasionally took me back to that era.

Of the players I've seen Ablett Senior, Buddy and possibly Goodes are the only players that get close. Peak Pavlich was pretty special, but he didn't maintain anything like his prime athletic capacity this late in his career., and Blicavs also rates a mention (but as a very different type of athlete).

Having said that peak Buddy and Danger is unlike anything else. That Danger has been the most powerful mid in the league for probably 12 years now is ridiculous. Even just comparing someone like JHF to Danger is not fair. JHF is a mortal playing the realm of the gods.

West Coast version of Judd has to be in that conversation. Most explosive midfielder I've seen and had the strength to do it with blokes hanging off him.

West Coast version of Judd has to be in that conversation. Most explosive midfielder I've seen and had the strength to do it with blokes hanging off him.
Remember when he gathered the ball against Port and one of the Burgoynes (were quick) who was chasing got further behind then tried lunging and fell to the ground while grabbing fresh air.

Good shout,
He was my favourite non Essendon player while he was at eagles, those swans/eagles finals all decided by like a point were awesome. Judd vs Goodes was box office.

Plenty of those who saw him live say Coleman was like no one else they’ve ever seen, just an athletic freak who was also a very gifted footballer…and I’m talking about many non-Essendon supporting accounts too.
There is a pic of him on the lead taking a mark in the clear (no opponents back to propel him higher)
and the bottom of his feet looked like they were 1.5m off the ground.

Weird to think Hawkins, Touhy and Duncan, Stanley (both likely) are suddenly finished now. That's it for them.

I think Geelong will be around for a bit. Bruhn, Bowes, Dempsey and Neale will have learned a lot this year.

Again, I hope Brad takes a page from his brother's book and plays the kids next season.

Plenty of those who saw him live say Coleman was like no one else they’ve ever seen, just an athletic freak who was also a very gifted footballer…and I’m talking about many non-Essendon supporting accounts too.
Dad grew up in a Carlton family but as a teenager he was going to Windy Hill to watch Coleman. They used to be all up the end we were kicking too and changed every quarter. He went against his old man's wishes and became a Bomber supporter. Mums family was Collingwood...they made a deal. Kids were going to be catholic like her but Essendon supporters like him...so here we are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back