Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

daniher, win , lose or draw, looking to retire ? Had a chance to vent on him 4-5 weeks ago. Was out at tulla to pick mum up from a trip. Was in the 5 min pick up section, and there he was approaching, I’m thinking, here we go, I can say my piece. Didn’t do it,he was carrying his daughter, wife by the side. Chickened out or showed respect ?
That surname is absolute royalty @ Essendon.
Wuss

As much as Kane Cornes gets a raw deal, he is 100% spot on with his take on the Shai Bolton trade request (to WCE)

pay up big time or we keep you. You were happy to sign a long term deal when the going was good, now its ought you wanna jump ship. Not on.

Is there a chance we can get Dan Houston or not required?

Got around to watching the GF replay on Kayo (was too busy talking shit on the day to watch most of it).
BT calling Chris Fagan 'Dennis Pagan' at 3/4 time was a highlight
He's had a shocker of finals series in regards to mixing names up. I think he kept mixing boak and another Port player up last week and at one point said "Boak kicks to Boak"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listening to David King on SEN this morning is not disappointing, still trying to dig his heels in whilst begrudgingly congratulating Fagan.

I thought Fagan had run his race. I'm not convinced that he hasn't. It's been a weird, particularly weak season. I don't think any final rose to any great height in terms of the quality albeit that there were some decent spectacles.

It's not that Fagan is not good, obviously, just that perhaps a fresh set of eyes is needed to help the Lions evolve. I think of it like Bomber leaving Geelong and being replaced by Scott. Admittedly, he is in year 8 and Brisbane could also be Hawthorn 2012, just about to start its dynasty. But I don't see Fagan at the same point in the cycle even if his players are.

I thought Fagan had run his race. I'm not convinced that he hasn't. It's been a weird, particularly weak season. I don't think any final rose to any great height in terms of the quality albeit that there were some decent spectacles.

It's not that Fagan is not good, obviously, just that perhaps a fresh set of eyes is needed to help the Lions evolve. I think of it like Bomber leaving Geelong and being replaced by Scott. Admittedly, he is in year 8 and Brisbane could also be Hawthorn 2012, just about to start its dynasty. But I don't see Fagan at the same point in the cycle even if his players are.
I think it’s just extremely difficult to pinpoint the reasons for a club’s success or lack thereof from the outside. The head coach attracts the most attention but clearly the quality of the assistant coaches and football department more generally are critical as well and it would take a skilled observer within the club’s four walls to identify where a potential deficiency lies.

It won’t stop people speculating of course but I don’t think it’s worth getting too attached to a particular assumption about anything football related

Yeah I'm still not sure whether Fagan can coach a dynasty team, but my swipe at King is more in relation to how tunnel visioned and overconfident he is in his readings of stats/trends.
He just sees that X style or X type of players wins the highest % of games based on the stats provided to him by CD, and then goes too hard at any team/coach that doesn't meet this "profile".
Today he was at a loss to explain how the lions brainstrust dismantled the swans so focused his energy on individual player efforts.

I havent had time to research but I suspect that guys like King probably criticised the 2018 Eagles in a similar fashion for being the anti-richmond.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back