Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Fagan had run his race. I'm not convinced that he hasn't. It's been a weird, particularly weak season. I don't think any final rose to any great height in terms of the quality albeit that there were some decent spectacles.

It's not that Fagan is not good, obviously, just that perhaps a fresh set of eyes is needed to help the Lions evolve. I think of it like Bomber leaving Geelong and being replaced by Scott. Admittedly, he is in year 8 and Brisbane could also be Hawthorn 2012, just about to start its dynasty. But I don't see Fagan at the same point in the cycle even if his players are.

If he didn't take them to the summit this year or didn't play finals I'd say you were right but he was able to dig them out of a rut and to a flag in a season, that deserves credit and the benefit of the doubt. Shit take.

Yeah I'm still not sure whether Fagan can coach a dynasty team, but my swipe at King is more in relation to how tunnel visioned and overconfident he is in his readings of stats/trends.
He just sees that X style or X type of players wins the highest % of games based on the stats provided to him by CD, and then goes too hard at any team/coach that doesn't meet this "profile".
Today he was at a loss to explain how the lions brainstrust dismantled the swans so focused his energy on individual player efforts.

I havent had time to research but I suspect that guys like King probably criticised the 2018 Eagles in a similar fashion for being the anti-richmond.
I never got the doubts on Fagan, Brisbane have gotten better with every season he's been in charge.
Unless they have a premiership hangover, I'd back them to get even better next year. Even with a hangover they won't exactly be doubting themselves if they're outside the 8 midseason...
They are getting the kid unanimously seen as the #1 draft pick through father-son, Coleman back from ACL, another preseason into Lohmann and Morris, McCluggage in the peak of his career, Rayner becoming elite.... they are going to be good for a very long time and have the sort of list profile in which there is a real opportunity for sustained success.

Compare us and them since that 2016 draft where we finished 18/17 :drunk:

I never got the doubts on Fagan, Brisbane have gotten better with every season he's been in charge.
Unless they have a premiership hangover, I'd back them to get even better next year. Even with a hangover they won't exactly be doubting themselves if they're outside the 8 midseason...
They are getting the kid unanimously seen as the #1 draft pick through father-son, Coleman back from ACL, another preseason into Lohmann and Morris, McCluggage in the peak of his career, Rayner becoming elite.... they are going to be good for a very long time and have the sort of list profile in which there is a real opportunity for sustained success.

Compare us and them since that 2016 draft where we finished 18/17 :drunk:
Looks like they will lose Joey D’s 58 goals… maybe they should make a play for Stringer?

He just coached them from fifth to a premiership. The players are highly motivated and already talking about 'running it back.' I don't reckon they think he has 'run his race' at all. You might be mistaking him for Ken.
Plus they only lost last year by a kick.

Yeah I'm still not sure whether Fagan can coach a dynasty team, but my swipe at King is more in relation to how tunnel visioned and overconfident he is in his readings of stats/trends.
He just sees that X style or X type of players wins the highest % of games based on the stats provided to him by CD, and then goes too hard at any team/coach that doesn't meet this "profile".
Today he was at a loss to explain how the lions brainstrust dismantled the swans so focused his energy on individual player efforts.

I havent had time to research but I suspect that guys like King probably criticised the 2018 Eagles in a similar fashion for being the anti-richmond.
Problem King has got is footy in the last two years has basically ripped the page out of the manual and gone full on attack mode which results in massive momentum swings and if it is on song it is hard to defend. It does not fit in any of his boxes.
Swans are a precision kicking side and an average contested side. If you can force them down the line they fall apart. They are not a really fast side. They like to move the footy fast with precision play on kicks on the angles.
He can not compute what happens now. He argued all year with Korn about the Saints being a good side.

Very strange reading people say Fagan is no good, literally can’t do anymore than win a flag, from 5th no less and with a trip to the G against Geelong. Then fly back a week later and destroy Sydney. They could easily have won it last year too. Tough crowd!

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back