Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope we never see a fourpeat in the AFL that'd be so boring
I'd probably argue the Hawks threepeat was more boring. unlike the panthers who have lost star players due to salary cap concerns, the hawks really only lost Buddy after 2013 who didn't leave because of money anyway, but because sydney is a better city than melbourne. at least with the panthers there's intrigue about whether they could climb the mountain despite losing star after star (albeit retaining core players too). with the hawks it was fait accompli that they'd walk into the PFs

I'd probably argue the Hawks threepeat was more boring. unlike the panthers who have lost star players due to salary cap concerns, the hawks really only lost Buddy after 2013 who didn't leave because of money anyway, but because sydney is a better city than melbourne. at least with the panthers there's intrigue about whether they could climb the mountain despite losing star after star (albeit retaining core players too). with the hawks it was fait accompli that they'd walk into the PFs
The challenge for us will be next year simply because we have no home ground due to Penrtih Park being redeveloped.
Two of our home games are round 1 in Vegas and in Brisbane for magic round. We do have home games at Bathurst and Mudgee where we have played a bit. The rest are at Commbank Parramatta so no real fortress games other than Bathurst where we have not lost for ages.
Have lost a heap of stars in the last 4 years but it will be interesting to see how it goes having lost Crighton last year and now Luai who both have had real sync with Cleary. But we do have 4 or 5 really good young blokes and a couple that just missed GF selection this year that have played very well in top grade this year.

Take away free agent compo and then allow clubs to 'buy' picks from other clubs with their cap space. Maybe also lower the cap floor so you don't have to pay 95% of the salary cap in any given year.
I'm still yet to hear a persuasive argument for cap space trading. My fame of reference is the NHL where salary retention is a big deal........but in the NHL cap space is king. If you don't manage the cap well, the team is doomed and there's no easy way out of it other than time. (see: my team, the Vancouver Canucks from 2014 to 2023)

that environment just doesn't exist in the AFL. teams can easily wriggle out of cap problems, if they even face them. Beyond the insane shitty thing the AFL did to the Swans after the Buddy deal, the only team in the last 20 years to really have salary cap problems was, what, Collingwood? And even then, I don't buy it was that bad. It just doesn't become that bad in the modern AFL. Collingwood just realised they wanted to go down a different path, and so forced some players out which was a PR disaster but not particularly difficult trades to do.

the main argument seems to be around people being unhappy that the **** teams have to pay 95% of the cap, but in an environment where the AFL gives every club basically the amount of money required for the cap (and then more money depending on the club), I'm inclined to agree that no club should be paying less than 95%.

I think we need it so that the teams that make Grand Finals and Prelims burn players as a result of their success, which doesn't currently happen in the AFL. cap space trading just seems to be giving clubs yet another tool to help them easily manoeuvre around the salary cap

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back