Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there a replay of a really good grand final that we should attempt to watch for fairness sake? The 2023 grand final notwithstanding, there are usually better H&A games than grand final anyway, surely?
I remember a classic H/A match maybe last year or the year or the year before, Rabbitohs v Roosters, there were 7 send offs, but it was an absolute ripper game to watch.

Is there a replay of a really good grand final that we should attempt to watch for fairness sake? The 2023 grand final notwithstanding, there are usually better H&A games than grand final anyway, surely?
Cowboys v Broncs 2015. One of the most insane sporting events I’ve ever watched.

I cant get over the fact every member of the Monday Footy Classified's panel has been head hunted by 7 except Lloydy :grimacing:

He's like Chief Wiggum in the Be Sharps. can imagine Hutchy driving him out to the middle of nowhere and kicking him out of the car.
Not surprised myself. I think he can be a guy that is big at outlining the problems but very short as far as solutions go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not surprised myself. I think he can be a guy that is big at outlining the problems but very short as far as solutions go.
I've never understood this criticism of Lloydy. Since when is a media pundit responsible for advising football clubs on how to resolve their problems?

I feel like the Essendon fan dislike of Lloyd as a media pundit is that he is harsh on the Bombers - for me that's exactly what I like about him. He loves the club and wants it to be successful and is therefore hard on them (I also think he is actively avoiding looking biased by being soft on his former club).

If we stop expecting a former player and media commentator to tell us what our club needs to do to fix all our problems then the dislike will ease.

I've never understood this criticism of Lloydy. Since when is a media pundit responsible for advising football clubs on how to resolve their problems?

I feel like the Essendon fan dislike of Lloyd as a media pundit is that he is harsh on the Bombers - for me that's exactly what I like about him. He loves the club and wants it to be successful and is therefore hard on them (I also think he is actively avoiding looking biased by being soft on his former club).

If we stop expecting a former player and media commentator to tell us what our club needs to do to fix all our problems then the dislike will ease.
No. I just like my media performers to be able to offer a solution every now and then. I do not disagree with a lot that Lloyd has said about the club and even if I do not totally agree we have deserved the whacks we get.
It is easy to be the bloke who just throws the rocks all the time.

I would like it if he outlined the issues and then offered a solution when he discusses Essendon. I do care that he has given us a flogging at times. We have deserved it. Has nothing to do with how I rate him.
What makes it worse is there is a football brain in there but it doesn’t always come out.

Last edited:
No. I just like my media performers to be able to offer a solution every now and then. I do not disagree with a lot that Lloyd has said about the club and even if I do not totally agree we have deserved the whacks we get.
Fair enough, we differ on this. I respect him for calling out the club, and I agree with 99% of what he says. I actually think he's a better analyst than most, and doesn't make the shock jock attention-grabbing calls or bullshit rumour mill trash that dominates the footy media landscape. I don't expect him to come up with solutions for us, that's the football dept's job IMO.

I would like it if he outlined the issues and then offered a solution when he discusses Essendon. I do care that he has given us a flogging at times. We have deserved it. Has nothing to do with how I rate him.
What makes it worse is there is a football brain in there but it doesn’t always come out.

Agreed. Though he's pretty milquetoast as a football analysist. Doesn't really move the needle with his takes, they are neither insightful nor scathing. Seems to be a fence sitter more than anything.

Fair enough, we differ on this. I respect him for calling out the club, and I agree with 99% of what he says. I actually think he's a better analyst than most, and doesn't make the shock jock attention-grabbing calls or bullshit rumour mill trash that dominates the footy media landscape. I don't expect him to come up with solutions for us, that's the football dept's job IMO.
No that is the job of a good media operator as well. If you want to highlight what you think is wrong then stand up and offer what you think can fix it. I know it is not his job as far as actually doing anything.
He also avoids being a shock jock by feeding Purple and Korn with information he will not run with.
I am actually interested in what he would have suggested but he was always the one firing the cannon with the rest of them.

Agreed. Though he's pretty milquetoast as a football analysist. Doesn't really move the needle with his takes, they are neither insightful nor scathing. Seems to be a fence sitter more than anything.
He’s like a watered down whateley-lite. He should be a host, not an opinionist

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back