Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

I love late 1990s/early 2000s Aussie dance/electronica.

Feel like there was a strong desire to take music forward in that period and value new hybrids. Avalanches another good example.

Going back a bit further I loved Underground Lovers.

In the 2000s everyone got sick of protools complexity and went back to basics. Guitar bands followed the garage revival stuff and dance music was again more separate.

But it was a definite moment there for a bit.

I do feel like I’m about to get banned from this thread for talking off topic but then it’s Saturday night and now I have kids I guess this is how I really get crazy

The people offended by everything and the people that want to laugh at everything are both annoying.

The first group because they're way too much effort to be around.
The second group because they want to take the world back to the supposed "good ole days" of minstrel shows where "everyone could take a joke".

Feel like there was a strong desire to take music forward in that period and value new hybrids. Avalanches another good example.

Going back a bit further I loved Underground Lovers.

In the 2000s everyone got sick of protools complexity and went back to basics. Guitar bands followed the garage revival stuff and dance music was again more separate.

But it was a definite moment there for a bit.

I do feel like I’m about to get banned from this thread for talking off topic but then it’s Saturday night and now I have kids I guess this is how I really get crazy
I am still stuck in the late 1990s/early 2000s when it comes to music (hence my username as a homage to Custard). I was a kid/teenager then, so makes sense.

I am still stuck in the late 1990s/early 2000s when it comes to music (hence my username as a homage to Custard). I was a kid/teenager then, so makes sense.
I went and saw Custard last year. It was pretty funny watching Dave McCormack heading up the band these days. I reckon the last time I saw him pop up was on Jon Safran's show on a sitar (apart from Bluey of course).

Indecent exposure
Something tells me teams will be using their own bar staff (and/or making them sign NDAs) from now on. I think the players would have been in the mindset of 'private function' but clearly it is not being treated as such given there was bar staff present.

Something tells me teams will be using their own bar staff (and/or making them sign NDAs) from now on. I think the players would have been in the mindset of 'private function' but clearly it is not being treated as such given there was bar staff present.
Ok, good for them.

But that's why being naked makes it worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does being naked make it 'worse'? Some pretty strong morality policing going on here by the AFL.
That screenshot is from an article in The Age, but the reason I would think is that they're trying to clean up the culture of their organisation and yet they have employees who think it's perfectly reasonable to strip off and do a skit about rape at the end-of-year staff party.

It's not someone's bucks night, and even if it was I don't know that too many ordinary pubs would be okay with that in their function rooms either tbh. Isn't that what Airbnb is for?

That screenshot is from an article in The Age, but the reason I would think is that they're trying to clean up the culture of their organisation and yet they have employees who think it's perfectly reasonable to strip off and do a skit about rape at the end-of-year staff party.

It's not someone's bucks night, and even if it was I don't know that too many ordinary pubs would be okay with that in their function rooms either tbh. Isn't that what Airbnb is for?
"A person shall not, in or within view from a public place or a school, wilfully and obscenely expose his or her person."

NSW indecent exposure laws. Seems pretty black and white to me.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but the entire issue isn't being framed around the presence of bar staff. All statements from the AFL and journalists etc are very much passing moral judgement on the actions in and of themselves - to me that's what makes these very murky waters.

It appears to me (obviously an assumption but based on all statements I've read) that even if the event took place at a private house of a player with no outsiders present, if the details came to light the response/reaction would be the same.

It really raises interesting questions about the reach of the AFL/employer and morality judgements on players/employees. I mean the line exists somewhere, but it's an interesting question as to where that line is and who gets to decide what's 'appropriate' and what isn't.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but the entire issue isn't being framed around the presence of bar staff. All statements from the AFL and journalists etc are very much passing moral judgement on the actions in and of themselves - to me that's what makes these very murky waters.

It appears to me (obviously an assumption but based on all statements I've read) that even if the event took place at a private house of a player with no outsiders present, if the details came to light the response/reaction would be the same.

It really raises interesting questions about the reach of the AFL/employer and morality judgements on players/employees. I mean the line exists somewhere, but it's an interesting question as to where that line is and who gets to decide what's 'appropriate' and what isn't.
You're at a staff party, organised and paid for by your employer. It's a pretty standard expectation that employees adhere to a code of conduct and dress themselves accordingly.

"A person shall not, in or within view from a public place or a school, wilfully and obscenely expose his or her person."

You'd certainly hope so. (I was also leaving room for the circumstance that someone might book a work party at an establishment with rather lax dress codes... because you never know what kind of response you're going to get otherwise 😅)

A bar is not a public place, it's a private establishment. At the very least you'd be asked to leave/banned and the police called on you + trespassed or arrested if you refuse, at the very worst you'd be taken to court. Neither of the individuals had the police called on them. So it's not a law issue.

You're at a staff party, organised and paid for by your employer. It's a pretty standard expectation that employees adhere to a code of conduct and dress themselves accordingly.
Yeah I wasn't specifically talking about nudity, but that did jump out as another morality judgement issue - notwithstanding the legal issue boncer34 raised - that raises more questions than it answers for me.

A bar is not a public place, it's a private establishment. At the very least you'd be asked to leave/banned and the police called on you + trespassed or arrested if you refuse, at the very worst you'd be taken to court. Neither of the individuals had the police called on them. So it's not a law issue.
I'm not a lawyer but I'd say a place where any punter can wander in off the streets would be considered a 'public place'. I doubt you can walk into a pub and start flashing unsuspecting patron's then use the defence that a pub is private property. Maybe less clear in this instance though given it's a function room where entrance is restricted.

Yeah I wasn't specifically talking about nudity, but that did jump out as another morality judgement issue - notwithstanding the legal issue boncer34 raised - that raises more questions than it answers for me.
Pretty simple. Anyone does that at a private company party even with their own bar staff …you would face serious rebuke and most likely being sacked. We have heaps of courses on correct behaviour just as footballers do. This went over the line and against what is involved in those training courses

Pretty simple. Anyone does that at a private company party even with their own bar staff …you would face serious rebuke and most likely being sacked. We have heaps of courses on correct behaviour just as footballers do. This went over the line and against what is involved in those training courses
That's pretty much the most simplistic take on things but sums it up nicely.

Not disagreeing with your point. But I wonder if GWS players (or any AFL players for that matter), realise they’re being held to a standard expected in a corporate environment.

I think that’s where the disconnect lies. Maybe the players were properly educated on what is/isn’t appropriate at an off venue private function and it fell on deaf ears? Or maybe they’ve been completely blindsided.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back