Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
genuinely how would you want this handled differently? if complaints were only lodged with the club then i would not be surprised to see it be swept under the rug as many issues have been in the past.

I think a thorough and massive investigation should be underway. I think it should have stated aims and it should be released in due course.

In the meantime, support should be offered to both parties and no one should jump to judge someone as guilty before proven as such.

the bile that is spewed here may prove to be correct. But it does not make it correct to spew it before they are proven guilty.

So to be clear I never said what you are accusing me of saying?

And yes - I think the investigation seems to have been handled poorly.

Could it be that they don't want the truth coming out? Yes. Could it also be that there is little to no 'there' there?
As I said, I will leave you to believe what you wrote. I have my own interpretation.
As to your third point, Yes I belieive that they don't want the truth to come out.Why? Because it would damage the "BRAND".Gil and Co don't want it tarnished.
I am not sure if you have read a book by Michael Warner called "The Boys Club".If not find a copy aand read it. Take it all in and you will find out that the AFL is not all roses and violets.
The AFL, I liken to the Mafia and the Catholic church ,without the bodies.

I can't for the life of me figure out what FMD stands for. * My Duck?

* me dead
Oh no.

I always thought it meant 'Follow My Directive'. I've been ending my absent texts to my kids with it;
'Time for bed, FMD 😘'.
'Love You, Hug Your Mum For Me, FMD.👍'
'Good Morning. Remember to brush Your Teeth, FMD 🙂.'

Do you think it is fine for someones reputation to be tarnished before any due course has been run? Do you have a problem with innocent until proven guilty?

I am all for the presumption of innocence. That's got nothing to do with what I was talking about.

I said that the tarnishing of reputation is implicit in accusation and always has been. What I was talking about is that some people seem to care more about the tarnishing of reputation than they do the thing being complained of. And that, for some, some reputations - particularly powerful/influential white blokes' reputations - are of more value and therefore the damage to them is of more consequence.

Do you understand that? Is it the implications of that that you don't like or the observation itself?

I am all for the presumption of innocence. That's got nothing to do with what I was talking about.

I said that the tarnishing of reputation is implicit in accusation and always has been. What I was talking about is that some people seem to care more about the tarnishing of reputation than they do the thing being complained of. And that, for some, some reputations - particularly powerful/influential white blokes' reputations - are of more value and therefore the damage to them is of more consequence.

Do you understand that? Is it the implications of that that you don't like or the observation itself?

I care equally about both. It is a very hard path to walk and one which not many here (not saying this is you) are able to walk.

I think it has nothing to with powerful white people and more to do with we only hear about more powerful people as that is newsworthy. I do not think their reputation is of more consequence than the person who is making the accusation, I simply think we should all be careful not to judge until there are facts.

What is it you don't like about that?

As I said, I will leave you to believe what you wrote. I have my own interpretation.
As to your third point, Yes I belieive that they don't want the truth to come out.Why? Because it would damage the "BRAND".Gil and Co don't want it tarnished.
I am not sure if you have read a book by Michael Warner called "The Boys Club".If not find a copy aand read it. Take it all in and you will find out that the AFL is not all roses and violets.
The AFL, I liken to the Mafia and the Catholic church ,without the bodies.

You can see what I wrote clearly I will put it here again.

Are you unwilling to say you were wrong or that you misread what I clearly wrote or are you saying you were reading motivation into what I wrote?

This has nothing to do with me 'believing what I wrote' as we can see it. It is you 'believing' something was written that wasn't. I will wait for the apology.

Fair enough - what was it specifically?

Fair enough. I would counter that with Shaun. What was it specifically?

not me - but that is ok, what was the exact list of complaints? As I mentioned Shaun has not had a problem.

Both indigenous greats. Shaun more so. I think that should be weighed just as strongly is my point. Then investigate.
Why is one players word more relevent than another?
What you are saying is that Sean is more trustworthy than Cyril, so we should all believe that Sean is the one whose word we should all accept!!!
Gimmee a break.

SEE THE BOLDED TEXT

Then tell me - what did I write? Not what do you believe I wrote.

You can see what I wrote clearly I will put it here again.

Are you unwilling to say you were wrong or that you misread what I clearly wrote or are you saying you were reading motivation into what I wrote?

This has nothing to do with me 'believing what I wrote' as we can see it. It is you 'believing' something was written that wasn't. I will wait for the apology.

Why is one players word more relevent than another?
What you are saying is that Sean is more trustworthy than Cyril, so we should all believe that Sean is the one whose word we should all accept!!!
Gimmee a break.

SEE THE BOLDED TEXT

Then tell me - what did I write? Not what do you believe I wrote.
It is an ambiguous line you have written.
I read it one way, your wrote is an ambiguous way.
And yes I am unwilling to say I was wrong.I don't believe I was.
Your version is different to mine.
I hope you are not holding your breath.

Oh no.

I always thought it meant 'Follow My Directive'. I've been ending my absent texts to my kids with it;
'Time for bed, FMD 😘'.
'Love You, Hug Your Mum For Me, FMD.👍'
'Good Morning. Remember to brush Your Teeth, FMD 🙂.'
ok, there was coffee coming out my nose and mouth reading this, it is just so much more effective with the proper definition. I especially like the last one as it does sound exactly like my parenting style.

They would never be found guilty of anything because the AFL is gutless, but you just need to see Lance leaving and Cyril getting the * out of there at the age of 28, and there is enough smoke around it to make up your own mind
That was Kennett related though and nothing about the investigation touched on that.

I reckon Clarko and Fagan are going to get a big payday and the Hawks are in a world of s**t.
It’s curious that the whole process was initiated because of comments made by the guy who had golliwogs named after indigenous players and the outcome was people no longer at the club were to blame.

Did I say that?

Why do people get so emotional they lose an ability to read.

If people say they are guilty based on one persons accusation but another says the opposite, all I am saying is both should be equally weighted. If that is all the original finding is baased on.

Person A says this = Guilty
Person B says the opposite =

Surely the answer is not to put more weight on either but to investigate and the rest of us not to have an opinion?

Racism is so tedious…

It’s not my job to educate you on how to be a decent human being or on the basics of logic but here’s a quick guide as to why your argument shows a lack of both:

- Burgoyne didn’t say the opposite of anyone else, he simply said that he saw or experienced nothing personally

- For him to be saying the opposite, he would need to say that he was present at all of the alleged incidents and that he was certain all other allegations are false.

- He’s not saying anything like that.

I think it’s fairly obvious why you felt the need to misrepresent the context of the situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where there smoke there is fire, multiple people don't make this shit up. Even if it 10% as bad as what they claimed he was gone.

I said at the time if North it all surfaced if they had any sense they would be immediately sitting around at HC formulating a plan for him to be replaced.

Norf have let Tarryn Thomas come back so nothing would surprise me with them.

I like Eddie Betts but if his standard of "if he thought it was racist, then it's racist" in regards to booing is very dangerous if it's applied to interactions.

It's quite possible that those hurt felt that treatment they had was unique and due to their race, meanwhile the person delivering that treatment may have been treating everyone the same, it could even be unwittingly culturally insensitive.

Because the treatment is terrible doesn't make it racist. And it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt. Bringing in your own context and triggers will shape how everything is received by you.

Presuring someone to terminate their child is abhorrent regardless of the race.

If what people take from this saga is that you can't trust the AFL, especially with social causes they use to promote their image, then we move into tomorrow better equipped.

Racism is so tedious…

It’s not my job to educate you on how to be a decent human being or on the basics of logic but here’s a quick guide as to why your argument shows a lack of both:

- Burgoyne didn’t say the opposite of anyone else, he simply said that he saw or experienced nothing personally

- For him to be saying the opposite, he would need to say that he was present at all of the alleged incidents and that he was certain all other allegations are false.

- He’s not saying anything like that.

I think it’s fairly obvious why you felt the need to misrepresent the context of the situation.

Are you calling me a racist? How weak and pathetic of you. On another teams board.

There are claims of systemic racism at Hawthorn. Burgoyne said he didn't see or experience it. At the very least that means from his point of view it was not the case.

You are playing foolish word games while making accusations against someone based primarily on me wanting people to be innocent until proven guilty.

I like Eddie Betts but if his standard of "if he thought it was racist, then it's racist" in regards to booing is very dangerous if it's applied to interactions.

It's quite possible that those hurt felt that treatment they had was unique and due to their race, meanwhile the person delivering that treatment may have been treating everyone the same, it could even be unwittingly culturally insensitive.

Because the treatment is terrible doesn't make it racist. And it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt. Bringing in your own context and triggers will shape how everything is received by you.

Presuring someone to terminate their child is abhorrent regardless of the race.

If what people take from this saga is that you can't trust the AFL, especially with social causes they use to promote their image, then we move into tomorrow better equipped.

Yes, add to that the government, media and most corporations, especially the largest.

This is not a shot at Clarkson, but welcome to the world of Aboriginal people in Australia.
Vast majority of Aboriginal people get treted like this EVERY day of their lives.
And no, I am not Aboriginal.
Well to the real world of the Indigenous Australian people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back