Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 26 65.0%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I was watching AFL360 tonight and they covered Pendlebury's 400th game. They were showing a photo shoot with the other greats that played 400 games and it made me jealous that Mundy wasn't there.

Could we have got him there? He had a long career with very few long injury lay-offs. Maybe he was slowing down a bit but he was still playing well.
Probs just too far back what did he finish with 376 games.

If he was on 390 at end of 2022.

Then yeah we could have got him. He could have played the sub role 5 or 6 times and nursed him there.

But as another poster just said missing finals 12 seasons in his career compared to pendlebury who has probably had another seasons worth of games in finals

Just say we played 12 more finals across those 12 seasons like making the finals 6 times and playing two in those seasons

Would have got Mundy to 388-390 mark within reach to play him that extra year to get to 400.

West Coast are gonna get unprecedented, monumental floggings without Barrass and Waterman...

Ill Allow It GIF

And the seasons they go round and round
And the painted ponies go up and down
We're captive on the carousel of time
We can't return we can only look behind
From where we came
And go round and round and round
In the circle game

Joni Mitchell

Regardless of which club you support I am sure that almost all would appreciate that Scott Pendlebury will play his 400th AFL game on Saturday night at the MCG.
So much has been written and said about his football ability and skill, which, according to most Melbourne based commentators, comes from his back ground of playing basketball.:D:D:D.
A player who almost seems to be able to make time stand still when he has the ball.
Always tough, but fair.
A player that sets a standard for new draftees to achieve.
At 36, and signed on for another 12 months, he is still going strong.

Well played Scott Pendlebury.View attachment 2064589
yeah...hes ok...can football a bit
we could probably have fitted him in
saved Collingwoods arse

I love how basically skiving off a third party (umpires) and trying to subvert the rules is categorised as a "brilliant tactic". I'm sure they'd be taking the same view if we were doing it 🙄

Ducking Hawks

I maintain that the AFL can't call themselves serious about head knocks and concussion when they still allow the umps to reward players for instigating the head high contact. They need to stop rewarding dropping the knees and lifting the arm.

I love how basically skiving off a third party (umpires) and trying to subvert the rules is categorised as a "brilliant tactic". I'm sure they'd be taking the same view if we were doing it 🙄

Ducking Hawks
Mitchell played on the edge and has continued that as a coach.

If the rules allow it he will exploit it

I have no doubt he was a major factor in the Eagles last premiership.

If initiating or drawing head high contact is being praised as a crafty tactic, then this competition is more ****ed than I thought it was and I have watched Carlton play Fremantle.

I maintain that the AFL can't call themselves serious about head knocks and concussion when they still allow the umps to reward players for instigating the head high contact. They need to stop rewarding dropping the knees and lifting the arm.
Yep. As much as I'm reluctant to go down "blame the victim" avenue, if you get rewarded for putting your head in the lion's mouth it'll be an all too alluring shortcut for those who think it's better option than doing it all themselves. But the lion is bound to bite at some stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was watching AFL360 tonight and they covered Pendlebury's 400th game. They were showing a photo shoot with the other greats that played 400 games and it made me jealous that Mundy wasn't there.

Could we have got him there? He had a long career with very few long injury lay-offs. Maybe he was slowing down a bit but he was still playing well.
it was more of a case of Memories keeping him out of the team early in his career that cost him the games needed.

I was initially surprised it was David King bringing the Hawks ducking the head tactic up as a positive on VFL 360 - Given how vocal he has been on eliminating head knocks from the game.
By the end of the segment I sort of got the feeling he was highlighting it more so to bring it to the attention of the umpires than the surface level praise of Mitchell and the Hawks tactics he was professing to praise.
You could see the little smirk he was giving the other panel members - he probably just didn’t want to piss off his Hawks mates (Dunstal etc) who he now works with.
Either way, I hope the umpires do pick up on it a little more as the Hawks worry me a bit going into finals !

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I was initially surprised it was David King bringing the Hawks ducking the head tactic up as a positive on VFL 360 - Given how vocal he has been on eliminating head knocks from the game.
By the end of the segment I sort of got the feeling he was highlighting it more so to bring it to the attention of the umpires than the surface level praise of Mitchell and the Hawks tactics he was professing to praise.
You could see the little smirk he was giving the other panel members - he probably just didn’t want to piss off his Hawks mates (Dunstal etc) who he now works with.
Either way, I hope the umpires do pick up on it a little more as the Hawks worry me a bit going into finals !

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Not sure why the umpires stopped cracking down on it, it's a ****ing disgrace. Stamp that shit out of the game.

Yeahh...I think ours is challenging enough and we're in Flagmantle mode!
YOKAI!
hmmm

Yōkai are often referred to as Japanese spirits or East Asian ghosts, like the Hanako-san legend or the story of the "Slit-mouthed girl", both of which hail from Japanese legend. The term yōkai can also be interpreted as something strange or unusual.

Yokayi or yokai is a Noongar word. Spelling varies because Noongar is originally a spoken language and attempts to capture it using standard English orthography are necessarily arbitrary and unstable.

It is a call to action. It's the LFG of the southwest blackfella.

Yokayi or yokai is a Noongar word. Spelling varies because Noongar is originally a spoken language and attempts to capture it using standard English orthography are necessarily arbitrary and unstable.

I always thought it meant 'victory' - is there a nyoongar dictionary around anywhere that defines it?

ok as i not a Noonga i will say LETS GO FREO

Yokai is a Noongar call to action meaning 'enough is enough'.

Wasn’t good enough defensively by the end. Wouldn’t have played good footy even last year imo but I guess we’ll never really know.

Pendlebury has probably played an extra season worth of finals compared to Mundy. We really should’ve made finals more in the Connolly era and probably one or two extra times in the Ross Lyon era.
Pendles..... very limited travel in 18 years= 90 games.
Mundy..... on a plane every second weeks for 16 seasons.
Not hard to work out why Mundy didn't make 400.
If initiating or drawing head high contact is being praised as a crafty tactic, then this competition is more ****ed than I thought it was and I have watched Carlton play Fremantle.
Well it is being advocated by a clown A buffoon.

I always thought it meant 'victory' - is there a nyoongar dictionary around anywhere that defines it?
According to the second edition of the Noongar dictionary, "yokayi" translates as "Shout of victory".

When speaking about the word as used for the TV show about footy on SBS, a number of Noongar folk shared their thoughts of what the word represented:

Noongar man, Barry McGuire says the use of the word is a great way to share and teach other Australians language that celebrates spiritual and physical strength and had been used for thousands of years.

"Yokayi is an energy of spiritual strength that builds up from within and it is released once victory is reached," he explains.

"The energy is an ancient connection to all of our ancestors who have stood in it. The policies of the past have stopped the life of this word and since we have survived within our language as a community, here is one of many reasons to shout it out again, we can live in the vibrations of yokayi again!"

21-year-old, Derek Nannup Jnr says that for him, the word yokai and its relationship to footy is inevitable.

"For me, they go hand-in-hand and just like our traditional lifestyle, footy can bring mob together," Nannup Jnr says. "There’s been many events on the AFL stage that represent yokayi; one that has been making numerous headlines over the past years is Adam Goodes and the war cry. It showed resilience, strength and being victorious, all-in-all it showed the spirit of being yokayi."

Ducking Hawks
That small forward of theirs shits me to tears whatever his name is
Ginnivan spawn

Ducking cheating sh*t !

it was more of a case of Memories keeping him out of the team early in his career that cost him the games needed.
<8% BF or GTFO!

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Back