Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 26 65.0%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS also had the benefit of even more draft picks than GC was provided with along with a much better group of players from outside the draft (17 year old selections etc.).

Also coming in a year later was a benefit as they stayed sh** and got the better picks for 2-3 years after they started.

More good picks meant more 18 year olds playing initially but more talent available on the list once everyone got a bit older.

I actually don’t think GWS was that much better run for the first five years or so. They just had more talent gifted to them by circumstances. That meant a better culture after that which has helped GWS stay better.
I think a lot had to do with the initial list build strategy.
Gold Coast got that one absolute marquee player in Ablett & then not that much in quality to start with, whereas the Giants didn't get the one big fish, rather a collection of very good players, just no "superstar"
But that could be my old memory playing tricks on me.
Now where did I leave my reading glasses?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fox Footy's so called number 1 analyst has produced some gems this year with the Gold Coast Suns

Fox Footy's so called number 1 analyst has produced some gems this year with the Gold Coast Suns
Meanwhile, we are just Bradburying our way to potential top 4.

Might be a bit of a knob but bloke could football. Can’t be bothered looking it up but he kicked a lot of goals. Some good fullbacks around then too. Silvagni, Ayres, Mick Martin etc.
kicked 6 in the 92 GF.
I was responding to a post about his looks, not his football.

What was I thinking tipping the GC?
You were thinking the Eagles played their grand final last week and that the Suns are a more dynamic and talented team, and if they were ever gonna break their away game drought and win, with finals on the line, that this game would be the one.

You were thinking the Eagles played their grand final last week and that the Suns are a more dynamic and talented team, and if they were ever gonna break their away game drought and win, with finals on the line, that this game would be the one.
Yeah exactly that. Kudos to the Eagles for getting up again. ****wits.

Eagles won that in spite of Harley.

The umps aren't in his pocket anymore and I'm starting to think he's more interested in highlight plays than playing basic winning football.
he's going to be a freak, but someone needs to tell him to keep it simple stupid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS made sense from a "grow the game" perspective because the place is an AFL wasteland.

Gold Coast on the other hand is full of Vics sick of the Melbourne winters and already had the Southport Sharks before the Suns, which had produced players like Marcus Ashcroft and Nick Riewoldt.

AFL tried to go in GC with the same grow the game strategy but stuffed up by creating a whole new team instead of using one with a strong development record and decent supporter base.

Spent much time there , Southport ‘ membership ‘ is a complete illusion the club is just run of the mill but a super wealthy supporter died and gifted them millions and off the back of that they build a huge pokie plalace more like an RSL than a footy club

They funnel a bit back to footy so they are always strong on field but they have no more real supporters than Broady and Labrador etc

Funny you should mention Riewoldt

One day I played CHB on him there just before he was drafted and the coach sent the runner out to tell me I had to stick closer to that blonde kid … I just laughed at him and that was the day I invented zone defence for Aussie rules

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Back