Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 31 59.6%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I know we have only ourselves to blame for being in this position but I can't help but reflect on the fact that we were stitched up in Gather Round by an umpire who was subsequently disciplined by getting dropped for 4 weeks.
I’ve gotten over that, I still think that it’s the Essendon and the first WCE game that ****ed us up the most.

This was interesting. Totally fair.

This is really interesting. It is quite long to make its points but there is a lot of data. It analyses a number of things including the 6 double ups and what occurs in other comps like NBA, premier league etc. One point is Collingwood plays Essendon and Carlton twice every year. This gives these teams a financial advantage and has given Collingwood an on field advantage over the last 10 years or more while Essendon and Carlton have been weak teams.

It looks at the marquee fixtures such as Anzac Day, Anzac eve and king’s birthday. It questions why these fixtures are locked in and gives examples from the past where games such as St Kilda and Collingwood in a marquee time slot have seen big crowds. It argues that Essendon v Collingwood in a decent time slot will draw a big crowd and a marquee time slot with 1 big club and 1 small will draw a big crowd, giving better crowds overall. I have felt for some time that the AFL approach leads to the big teams getting bigger and the small teams getting smaller and this analysis reinforces my view.

It also analyses things like byes, breaks between matches and travel, things closer to home for us. Unsurprisingly the WA teams did poorly on breaks between matches this year, with us commonly playing teams who had a longer break than us.

Although I don’t agree with all the points made it does suggest some actions that could improve the overall equity of the fixture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing that we could miss out on finals with 13.5 wins, all because the bottom three sides have won 10/69 (14.5%)

We will miss finals and have been two wins from finishing 2nd. Astounding outcomes.
3 points from finishing second. 1 against Collingwood, 2 against Essendon.

Our season boils down to 1 point from playing finals. 2 points from a home final, 3 points from top 2.

How completely ****ed up is that??

1 point from playing finals. A single point. 1.

**** yes I’m being dramatic. But the drama is in the truth.

Our season boils down to 1 point from playing finals. 2 points from a home final, 3 points from top 2.

It's why I'm not going to buy into the doom and gloom coming if/when we don't play finals

Crazy how these teams that are playing for their season actually look desperate. We've had none of that in the past few weeks.

Brayshaw described the pressure in the Geelong game in the last quarter as some of the most intense he’s experienced.

It’s a nonsense to suggest we were somehow coasting. An older, stronger side brought experience, intensity and pressure & we weren’t quite good enough. It really is that simple.

Brayshaw described the pressure in the Geelong game in the last quarter as some of the most intense he’s experienced.

It’s a nonsense to suggest we were somehow coasting. An older, stronger side brought experience, intensity and pressure & we weren’t quite good enough. It really is that simple.
The problem in that game wasn't the last quarter, it was the first. After the week before when Essendon put on five goals in a row in the last, we came out and let Geelong put four on us before we woke up.

If that bottle thrown at the umpire came from the official Carlton cheersquad then I think it's only fair that the AFL punish Carlton with an automatic loss today.
Ill Allow It GIF

tumblr_525c0934f901a9c1afc1d53d39e04777_8263a83b_400.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Back