Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably close to their most hated Freo player in history - Fyfe would give him solid competition for some reason nobody would understand. Ballantyne and Crowley too but the reason is actually understandable.

Would be kind of funny watching them all change their minds about him overnight like the bunch of hypocrites we all know they are.
Dale Kickett says hi.

It's a fair complaint. They absolutely refuse to quietly let some guys move on. Everyone talks about and points to North about cutting too deep but their bigger problem was drafting and developing, not cutting / pushing players out IMO.

WC will go nowhere with how compromised the draft is if they continue to do nothing but basically take their natural picks to the draft

You need to “aerate” your list to allow improvement. If you stay with the same bods, they get too comfortable and new ideas or styles are not tried.

Due to player movement at Freo, we’ve learnt about aerating a list.

It's a fair complaint. They absolutely refuse to quietly let some guys move on. Everyone talks about and points to North about cutting too deep but their bigger problem was drafting and developing, not cutting / pushing players out IMO.

WC will go nowhere with how compromised the draft is if they continue to do nothing but basically take their natural picks to the draft

2016: Darcy, Cox and Ryan
2017: Switkowski, Banfield
2018: Schultz
2019: Frederick
2020: Walker, Treacy

Them actually drafting a player that’s better than a future role player after 35 would help them a lot.

Can’t just rely on first rounders - unless you’re Gold Coast or GWS from the early 2010s you simply don’t get enough of them.

Their drafting has been beyond terrible with only top ten picks hitting between the Tim Kelly trade and now and tbh their 2017 Draft and maybe the odd pick here and there are exceptions to ten years of poor drafting.

Last edited:
I was still in primary school when Kickett played for us.

I do remember a few moments of his (mainly him punching Read a few times tbh) but barely remember the reaction from eagles fans tbh.
One of my favourite all time Dockers.

He was a very reliable and courageous player when we were an ordinary team.

He was a very good footballer.

It's a shame that he is remembered for punching that flea after he kept hitting him in his sore back despite warnings, and just exploded.

He was one of our better boxers in the gym and Read pushed his luck too far.

Them actually drafting a player that’s better than a future role player after 35 would help them a lot.

Can’t just rely on first rounders - unless you’re Gold Coast or GWS from the early 2010s you simply don’t get enough of them.

Their drafting has been beyond terrible with only top ten picks hitting between the Tim Kelly trade and now and tbh their 2017 Draft and maybe the odd pick here and there are exceptions to ten years of poor drafting.
I was in disbelief when they passed on Matthew Johnson to select Chesser, was it ?

I was in disbelief when they passed on Matthew Johnson to select Chesser, was it ?

I thought we should’ve gone with Johnson at pick 10 tbh. That was my opinion at the time.

My opinion changed when he was still there at pick 21. I didn’t have Erasmus that far behind at the time - thought it was one or the other and a stroke of luck to get both whilst still getting Amiss.

How the **** did they select Chesser?

I thought we should’ve gone with Johnson at pick 10 tbh. That was my opinion at the time.

My opinion changed when he was still there at pick 21.

How the **** did they select Chesser?
with the trade back they did, this is the list of players they could've secured over Chesser

Sinn, Hobbs (who Cal Twomey thought they were into), Aleer, Wilmot, Tom Brown, Sheldrick, JVR, Lohmann and MJ. I would take all of them without thinking over Chesser. Twomey thought he was going to go 24 in his final mock. Incredible stuff honestly

who do they even have that has trade value at this point? barrass, waterman and allen might just about be it for those that aren't part of the young guys they have.

can't imagine you're getting particularly much for the liam ryans of the world at this point

1721659034818.png

Pittonet is a far better ruckman imo. De Koning has had such an easy run of opponents that it's made him look much better then what he is.
it's the toss up of around the ground work v stoppage work to some extent no? TDK offers far more around the ground etc, but for actual stoppage stuff Pittonet is an actual ruck

with the trade back they did, this is the list of players they could've secured over Chesser

Sinn, Hobbs (who Cal Twomey thought they were into), Aleer, Wilmot, Tom Brown, Sheldrick, JVR, Lohmann and MJ. I would take all of them without thinking over Chesser. Twomey thought he was going to go 24 in his final mock. Incredible stuff honestly

who do they even have that has trade value at this point? barrass, waterman and allen might just about be it for those that aren't part of the young guys they have.

can't imagine you're getting particularly much for the liam ryans of the world at this point

View attachment 2056287
They should have let Yeo go and gotten a 2nd round as compo. If Waterman is getting massive offers, absolutely let him go. It's the one area they have a couple of ok options. They should have explored extorting someone over Barass but maybe now too late

They keep handing out retirement contracts to their older players. Why do they still have Cripps? It's insane.

I would agree with everyone else saying the drafting and development has been poor anyway but the poor job is being made worse by having nothing to pick with.

They should have let Yeo go and gotten a 2nd round as compo. If Waterman is getting massive offers, absolutely let him go. It's the one area they have a couple of ok options. They should have explored extorting someone over Barass but maybe now too late

They keep handing out retirement contracts to their older players. Why do they still have Cripps? It's insane.

I would agree with everyone else saying the drafting and development has been poor anyway but the poor job is being made worse by having nothing to pick with.
barrass is allegedly getting offers from the dogs again so that option could be back on the cards. agree 100% re yeo.

it's also how long they've kept around some of the guys they drafted in the mid 2010s who are still there - tom cole for instance is possibly the definition of a mediocre footballer. josh rotham still being in and out of the side at 26. similarly i don't get why they brought in jayden hunt

now that they have 'the guy' with Harley, it'd be lunacy to not split their pick for multiple imo and just keep getting throws at the stumps

View attachment 2056287

They need to keep Allen for leadership big time too.

Of their players between 23 and 30 he’s the only one that shows much leadership on field imo. Duggan must off field cos he’s rubbish on field.

I really don’t see leadership anywhere else. Need to keep the 30+ year olds involved short term and find some young leaders very quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was still in primary school when Kickett played for us.

I do remember a few moments of his (mainly him punching Read a few times tbh) but barely remember the reaction from eagles fans tbh.
You were in high school when Kickett went to town on Read. You really should have been paying more attention and locked it away in the memory banks.

They need to keep Allen for leadership big time too.

Of their players between 23 and 30 he’s the only one that shows much leadership on field imo. Duggan must off field cos he’s rubbish on field.

I really don’t see leadership anywhere else. Need to keep the 30+ year olds involved short term and find some young leaders very quickly.
they currently have a 3 man leadership group with those two + barrass - I struggle to see where the next person into that group would be if it's not one of the old guys 'stepping up' again. it's probably hough/ginbey/reid?

It’s not just drafting, their development has gone to shit. They will miss more than they hit till they fix it.

View attachment 2056287
Surely JVR.
Darling and Kennedy retiring soon
Perfect WA goal kicker.
Nope. Chesser? Not even Johnson either.

View attachment 2056287
Old campaigners 🤣

it's the toss up of around the ground work v stoppage work to some extent no? TDK offers far more around the ground etc, but for actual stoppage stuff Pittonet is an actual ruck
In his last 5 games as sole ruck he's played against Soldo, Xerri, Goldstein, Briggs and his brother.

34 hitouts
18 disposals
8 clearances
6 score involvements
4 score launches

Sound like great numbers don't they? That's what the above 5 have averaged against him.

Meanwhile TDK is going at:
24 hitouts
20 disposals
9 clearances
7 score involvements
5 score launches

He's just not that good of a ruckman. Are those 2 extra disposals, 1 extra clearance and score involvement/launch deserving of the hype? No, but he plays for Carlton.

Forget us for a bit.

It’s actually a ****ing joke West Coast can finish last in an 18 team competition and not get their natural second round pick until pick 30. That’s 11 spots later than it should be.

Honestly hope they get it fixed for the 2027 AFL Draft (which will be ****ed by Tasmania anyway). Then it’s fixed for us by the time we’re sh**e again.
100%

It happened to the Eagles and I'm still filthy about it. The draft is an absolute sham.

West Coast 2019-2022 National drafts
2019 two late picks at 49 (Jamieson) and 58 (Ben Johnson)

2020 two late picks at 52 (Luke Edwards) and 57 (Winder)

2021 Pick 12 (Sinn) > 2022 Pick 14 (Chesser) & 2022 Pick 29 (Coby Burgiel)
(Also available at pick 12: Hobbs, Wilmot, JVR, Lohman, Johnson)

2022 Pick 3 (Sheezel) > 2022 Pick 9 (Ginbey) & 2022 Pick 14 (Hewett)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Back