Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I mentioned on the main board trading threads but could be a three way win/win if eagles trade Oscar Allen to Sydney, Warner to us and a large chunk of our draft haul to the eagles (with maybe some second rounders coming back our way).
Will help us get Warner this year, Sydney have the mids to cover his loss but don’t have an A grade forward, and the Slime…. Well they need all the picks they can get !

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I mentioned on the main board trading threads but could be a three way win/win if eagles trade Oscar Allen to Sydney, Warner to us and a large chunk of our draft haul to the eagles (with maybe some second rounders coming back our way).
Will help us get Warner this year, Sydney have the mids to cover his loss but don’t have an A grade forward, and the Slime…. Well they need all the picks they can get !

The bit where Freo provided Lathlain some sort of assistance is somewhat troubling.

100%

It happened to the Eagles and I'm still filthy about it. The draft is an absolute sham.
Steady on.

It is by any measure a fantastically unfair, unbelievably broken and positively fraudulent result that any right-minded citizen would see as a spit in the face of equalisation and the spirit of the draft.

But it did happen to the Eagles so fair bump, play on. campaigners.

West Coast 2019-2022 National drafts
2019 two late picks at 49 (Jamieson) and 58 (Ben Johnson)

2020 two late picks at 52 (Luke Edwards) and 57 (Winder)

2021 Pick 12 (Sinn) > 2022 Pick 14 (Chesser) & 2022 Pick 29 (Coby Burgiel)
(Also available at pick 12: Hobbs, Wilmot, JVR, Lohman, Johnson)

2022 Pick 3 (Sheezel) > 2022 Pick 9 (Ginbey) & 2022 Pick 14 (Hewett)
We picked up Josh Treacy with pick 743 in 2020.

What ever were they doing over there - pissing their own bathwater into each other's mouths while fondling statues of Woosha? Counting money?

Who will accept the poisoned chalice at West Coast?

No-one new if Ginbey has his way.

“You don’t want a new coach... I think we need a bit of experience there, still,” Ginbey said on SEN.
“Experience is what will help lead our young group.

😬

The tail is wagging the dog.

They should have let Yeo go and gotten a 2nd round as compo. If Waterman is getting massive offers, absolutely let him go. It's the one area they have a couple of ok options. They should have explored extorting someone over Barass but maybe now too late

They keep handing out retirement contracts to their older players. Why do they still have Cripps? It's insane.

I would agree with everyone else saying the drafting and development has been poor anyway but the poor job is being made worse by having nothing to pick with.
I believe that Yeo stayed because his dad was unwell and he put family first. The club probably stood by him as well.

Who will accept the poisoned chalice at West Coast?

No-one new if Ginbey has his way.

“You don’t want a new coach... I think we need a bit of experience there, still,” Ginbey said on SEN.
“Experience is what will help lead our young group.

😬

The tail is wagging the dog.

they might have to ask him to come back :)

I know it’s a running joke, but it’s not a half bad suggestion. Anyone who takes that job will be in for a rough 2-3 years and will likely be booted out before the list is ready to contend for finals. I doubt that the Eagles fans will give anyone that much leeway considering how bad they’ve been for 3 years already and also how they continue to massively over-rate their list.

Anyone with serious aspirations to be a successful long-term coach will surely be giving this one a hard pass.

Have they gotten someone better as their Wallsy equivalent in?

They should have let Yeo go and gotten a 2nd round as compo. If Waterman is getting massive offers, absolutely let him go. It's the one area they have a couple of ok options. They should have explored extorting someone over Barass but maybe now too late

They keep handing out retirement contracts to their older players. Why do they still have Cripps? It's insane.

I would agree with everyone else saying the drafting and development has been poor anyway but the poor job is being made worse by having nothing to pick with.
I get the feeling that Waterman is having an out of the box season. Has only ever been an average player until this season. This quite likely will be another “screwing of a club” situation like Travis Cloke’s father did to Collingwood.
I look forward to watching this play out and having a ROFL moment.

I get the feeling that Waterman is having an out of the box season. Has only ever been an average player until this season. This quite likely will be another “screwing of a club” situation like Travis Cloke’s father did to Collingwood.
I look forward to watching this play out and having a ROFL moment.
Yep,
I agree. WC should definitely trade Waterman for overs based on his output this year. They won’t though, they don’t let anybody go.

Eagles are the richest club in the land and they still can't get Cox to come and help out..
What have they done to themselves.
They have royally ****ed it.
And Teflon has done a Pontius Pilate and flown off with, presumably, a massive golden handshake.
What a joke of a club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eagles are the richest club in the land and they still can't get Cox to come and help out..
What have they done to themselves.
They have royally ****ed it.
More the prestige of Sydney for Cox.
Makes me think that Sydney has an unofficial transition plan for Longmire to retire and Cox to takeover?

Although, Longmire has been a bloody good coach in 2012 Flag, 2013 Prelim, 2014 GF, 2016 GF, 2022 GF. Top of the ladder 2024.

There’s no way he’s leaving anytime soon

There’s no way West Coast does that.
No KPF and even KPD once McGovern goes.

Waterman isn’t long term either

Makes me think that Sydney has an unofficial transition plan for Longmire to retire and Cox to takeover?

Although, Longmire has been a bloody good coach in 2012 Flag, 2013 Prelim, 2014 GF, 2016 GF, 2022 GF. Top of the ladder 2024.

Great coach but 1 premiership and 2 GF beltings out of the 3 GF losses i feel like he has underachieved.

I reckon Sydney should have won 2 flags in the Longmire era if your being realistic.

Great coach but 1 premiership and 2 GF beltings out of the 3 GF losses i feel like he has underachieved.

I reckon Sydney should have won 2 flags in the Longmire era if your being realistic.
Although 2016 premiership was the most putrid corruption in world sport history.

Although 2016 premiership was the most putrid corruption in world sport history.
Hard to disagree but 2 GF no shows out of 4 is a black mark for mine.

Geelong in 2022 & Hawthorn in 2014 had them done and dusted after 5 mins.

We smashed them in 2013 prelim they scored 6 junk time goals as we played for the siren in the last 10 mins it was otherwise a 10 goal thrashing as well.

Not all Longmire's fault but Sydney have had some finals shockers in his tenure.

We smashed them in 2013 prelim they scored 6 junk time goals as we played for the siren in the last 10 mins it was otherwise a 10 goal thrashing as well.

Not all Longmire's fault but Sydney have had some finals shockers in his tenure.
Many Swans fans are very much concerned about a likely GF this year for exactly this reason.

I call it the Buddy Franklin Curse: Ever since that rorting of COLA to attain him they've been utterly terrible or utterly cursed in Grand Finals.

I call it the Buddy Franklin Curse: Ever since that rorting of COLA to attain him they've been utterly terrible or utterly cursed in Grand Finals.
Buddy wanted to come to Sydney no matter the price.

GWS just coming in & the AFL tried to get him there desperately and he/Swans gave them the finger which I found hilarious.

I have heard that although the coach is not out of contract until end of next year, they will not open contract talks with him until next season is active.

So maybe he is going to be moved aside, similar to Malthouse at the Pies

I have heard that although the coach is not out of contract until end of next year, they will not open contract talks with him until next season is active.

So maybe he is going to be moved aside, similar to Malthouse at the Pies
I just have this little feeling in my mind that Sydney won’t make the grand final this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Back