Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 23 74.2%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What I am really enjoying at the moment is all of these coaches and players they've got they're eyes on (and I'm sure they believe these coaches and players will happily come and join them) turning their back on them.

It's as if the Tim Kelly move has woken the whole league up to how much of a basket case the club is, that they can't just plug and play a new coach and a star recruit and instantly turn everything around.

They will eventually figure out that success isn't just a given right and that they have to work at it to make it happen just like we and so many other clubs have had to do over the last 30 years, that it isn't as easy as it has been. But I don't think they'll figure that out for at least another 3 years.

The Eagles may have had more success over that last 30 plus years with a pretty easy path, but our struggle has made us stronger and our failures have made us wiser. We've done all the hard yards and earned our future successes (and we are about to have a lot of them in the next 10 years), they are about to go through what we have been through the last 29 years, hit's and misses, struggles and failures to launch.

I know what position I'd rather be in at this point in time.
Only annoying thing is basically every generation of Eagles have won premierships.

Mid 90s, Mid 2000s & Mid-late 2010s.

Only annoying thing is basically every generation of Eagles have won premierships.

Mid 90s, Mid 2000s & Mid-late 2010s.
Yup, that's why we need to have some sustained, successful years. So they really don't have a leg to stand on when they are trying to compare their successes to ours.

A back to back premiership would go a long way shutting them down. A 3peat would be a nail in the coffin.

I work with Eagles supporters and TBF some of them are able to have a laugh at their own expense and at the situation they currently find themselves in. I like talking to these guys, they're fun.

But it's the, as you say, deluded ones that bother the snot outta me. I can't tell if they're blind, ignorant or just have no idea how modern football works.
I have family that are 'die hard' Eagles fans. They would always wear the merch' to BBQs. and talk a lot of sh!t. But ever since the Eagles have been crap, it's 'yeah I'm just too busy to watch football' or 'I don't really like footy as much because the AFL has ruined it...'

The Eagles previous success has made their fans soft.

Where as we, Dockers fans, have an inherent toughness and resilience forged in the eternal pits of failure. Haha.

I have family that are 'die hard' Eagles fans. They would always wear the merch' to BBQs. and talk a lot of sh!t. But ever since the Eagles have been crap, it's 'yeah I'm just too busy to watch football' or 'I don't really like footy as much because the AFL has ruined it...'

Where as we, Dockers fans, have an inherent toughness and resilience forged in the eternal pits of failure. Haha.
This is my exact line of thought as well.

It is US who have earned the right be arrogant and chirpy, they've EARNED nothing and had everything handed to them since their inception. Nothing but entitlement.

Yup, that's why we need to have some sustained, successful years. So they really don't have a leg to stand on when they are trying to compare their successes to ours.

A back to back premiership would go a long way shutting them down. A 3peat would be a nail in the coffin.
Love your line of thinking.

AAAANNNDDD , I always find, well most times we can talk football in general.
I have always said that have a circle of footy fan, 7/8 10. with out a Yellas fan and there will be a good discussion about all and all clubs.
Add a Yellas fan and within minutes the talk will be about how goood they are, about how all 22/3 players are the best in the league.And after five minutes he/she will be left alone talkig to themself.All without noticing that all other have gone elsewhere.

Last edited:

Even one premiership will take a lot of the sting out of their usual gloat and forgive a lot of sins, provided we get it before they do.

This stuff cracks me up, and frustrates me no end.

I work with Eagles supporters and TBF some of them are able to have a laugh at their own expense and at the situation they currently find themselves in. I like talking to these guys, they're fun.

But it's the, as you say, deluded ones that bother the snot outta me. I can't tell if they're blind, ignorant or just have no idea how modern football works. These, are the people who believe that just because the team has been able to turn around reasonable quickly before they should just be able to do it again as if it just happens by itself.

And I'm convinced that they are dumbfounded by the fact that they got the number 1 pick in the draft last year and still aren't winning games as if that was the missing piece of the puzzle the last couple of years.
It is quite hilarious. They think they will turn it around soon but ignore North who have 10+ high draft picks and performing about WC’s level without the old stars.

WC’s senior stars will all be retired by the time they have 10+ high draft picks running around so they will still be North level or WC level.

The caveat is they still need to be able to develop players. Chesser was the start of the rebuild and an absolute failure already. Nothing is magically going to change & basket case assistance will be their only way to become semi competitive again.

It is quite hilarious. They think they will turn it around soon but ignore North who have 10+ high draft picks and performing about WC’s level without the old stars.

WC’s senior stars will all be retired by the time they have 10+ high draft picks running around so they will still be North level or WC level.

The caveat is they still need to be able to develop players. Chesser was the start of the rebuild and an absolute failure already. Nothing is magically going to change & basket case assistance will be their only way to become semi competitive again.
I also heard they just gave Liam Duggan another three year contract.
It is unbelievable.

The next 10 years.....

Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on Purple.

Fred you would start an argument in an empty room!

AAAANNNDDD , I always find, well most times we can talk football in general.
I have always said that have a circle of footy fan, 7/8 10. with out a Yellas fan and there will be a good discussion about all and all clubs.
Add a Yellas fan and withing minutes the talk will be about how goood they are about how all 22/3 players are the best in the league.And after five minutes he/she will be left alone talkig to themself.All without noticing that all other have gone elsewhere.
Yep. We had a new bloke at work, "who do you go for?" North was his answer. I tell him I'm Freo then HE starts bagging eagles fans saying they don't/can't talk about footy. They only talk about the eagles. Good bloke. Got on well with him.

They have a very good spine, so I’m told.

You can’t go forward, until you accept where you actually are.

They have a very good spine, so I’m told.

You can’t go forward, until you accept where you actually are.
Really?
FB - Barrass 28 & looks disinterested
HB - McGovern 32 & nearly cooked
Ruck - No
Centre - Kelly or HR - Old or Too Young
CHF - Waterman 26 1/2 a season going ok with no other key forward. One hit wonder atm at his age.
FF - Allen - 25. Good prospect but injured, a lot.

Their spine is still better than the rest of the team but everything needs replacing before they will challenge. Allen will be 30 before their midfield is sorted at the current rate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Back