Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 26 61.9%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Might be an unpopular opinion but I have zero interest in scraping into 8th place and just making up the numbers. For a WA team it's top four or bust if we actually want to do something in the finals. We don't have the luxury of finishing outside the top four and still potentially playing all our games in September at home without travel like the VIC clubs do.

If we don't finish top four we don't deserve it. Even after last weeks shitty loss we control our own destiny if we win all 3 games.
Making finals on a regular basis makes money for the club.
To want to miss on finlas because we aren't going to win the flag is self interst.Reeks of selfishness.
The club will be over the moon just making the eight.
Lookk at Geelong , aalways iin th eight. You ever hear them complain about not winning the falg!!!
All these prominent clubs will say, making the eight is vital if you do it on a cocsitant basis.

I’m in no way an itk but I have a hunch Barrass has played his last game for the slime. He wants out, he doesn’t gaf anymore, and they’re moving on.

Jaysus, there are a lot of quite probable scenarios over the next three weeks where we end up 9th and Hawthorn 8th. We def want Carlton to beat them this weekend.

Those scenarios involve us going 1-2. If that happens we are cooked anyway and don't belong in the finals.

If Carlton beat Hawthorn and go 3-0, then we will likely miss out on a home final if we do indeed go 2-1. I've got us finishing 7th and playing away to Geelong in 6th if all the favourites win and Carlton beat Hawthorn. And Carlton will be top 4 (puke).

If Carlton lose to Hawthorn, then we would be in line (again based on favourites winning all the games) for a home final against the Blues.

Obviously there can (and probably will) be upsets to mess this all up, but it's not clearcut that we want Carlton to win.

I said 8th which would mean playing away every week of the finals which means at best we get to week 2. Of course I want to make the finals but finishing 7th-14th for us is no mans land. No real chance of winning it and no top end picks either.

I said 8th which would mean playing away every week of the finals which means at best we get to week 2. Of course I want to make the finals but finishing 7th-14th for us is no mans land. No real chance of winning it and no top end picks either.
At this point, a final or two is worth more than a pick 4-5 places higher. And I am someone that likes trade/draft more than most.

Plus, never been a better year to make a prelim from 7th or 8th.

At this point, a final or two is worth more than a pick 4-5 places higher. And I am someone that likes trade/draft more than most.

Plus, never been a better year to make a prelim from 7th or 8th.
Love it to happen but based on the last two away games do you really believe this group can travel 2 weeks in a row and win both games against good sides? We need the double chance or at worst a home final in week one.

Love it to happen but based on the last two away games do you really believe this group can travel 2 weeks in a row and win both games against good sides? We need the double chance or at worst a home final in week one.
Can? Yes.

Will? Probably not.

We're absolutely good enough based on gameplan and personnel. That's why we've won or been in front during Q4 in all but 3 games this year (1st derby, Swans @ home, Dogs away). The fact that we lost a good portion of them is why you wouldn't back us. We're missing some intangibles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can? Yes.

Will? Probably not.

We're absolutely good enough based on gameplan and personnel. That's why we've won or been in front during Q4 in all but 3 games this year (1st derby, Swans @ home, Dogs away). The fact that we lost a good portion of them is why you wouldn't back us. We're missing some intangibles.
Our best is great but still too big of a gap between our best and worst.

Our best is great but still too big of a gap between our best and worst.
Not really. We've only played our worst twice all year (derby + Dogs) and while it was bad, it's pretty rare. We've been more consistent than most this year. Probably everyone bar the Hawks and Lions actually.

Our problem is blowing leads in Q4 and close games in general. Like I said, its the intangible stuff you get from experience. Which is why even playing a losing close final is probably worth plenty for development.

But who knows? Maybe we've learnt from all those butchered chances this year already. Hence why we'd be some chance of a prelim, even from 8th.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Back