Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 31 59.6%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Meek, D'Ambrosio, Scrimshaw, Amon, Ginnivan, Impey, Frost, Gunston (to get him back), Chol. Apart from Amon and Impey (who they picked up for picks around 30), the rest were pretty much all surplus to needs at their previous club and Hawthorn gave up SFA all for them.
Cashed up and in Victoria does make it significantly easier for them to get those guys.

Ginnivan would’ve been perfect for a swap for Schultz last year. But he would never have even entertained it.

I honestly see more ridicule for Freo from our own fans on here than I ever get from the outside world, so I couldn't care less about that.

I'm over seeing the same boring as f**k matchups every finals series. I just want to see some freshness. Geel vs Syd would be the most depressingly boring option possible.

Sadly, after the last two nights I'm slowly accepting that the AFL is turning into the EPL-lite with the same successful teams every year and the same minnows just making up the numbers.

I agree that Sydney vs Geelong would be a very boring match-up considering how tight and unpredictable this season has been. Two gluttonous teams that do not need anymore success and I wouldn’t be able to fully get behind either. That’s why I’d like Port to somehow get up, would spice things up a bit and it’d be funny to see the reactions if Ken could finally win the big one after always falling short, although after last night it seems very unlikely.

Still don’t want GWS to win the flag before us though.

Cashed up and in Victoria does make it significantly easier for them to get those guys.

Ginnivan would’ve been perfect for a swap for Schultz last year. But he would never have even entertained it.

Yeah this is one area where I think people have unrealistic expectations of the club.

Just because a player is surplus to requirements at their original club doesn't mean they're on the trash heap with no one else wanting them. And who would choose to uproot their life across the country for the same job you can get across the city or at least on the same seaboard?

It's a massive disadvantage we have to live with and always will. And the same goes for attracting quality assistant coaches.

Yeah this is one area where I think people have unrealistic expectations of the club.

Just because a player is surplus to requirements at their original club doesn't mean they're on the trash heap with no one else wanting them. And who would choose to uproot their life across the country for the same job you can get across the city or at least on the same seaboard?

It's a massive disadvantage we have to live with and always will. And the same goes for attracting quality assistant coaches.
There’s just way too many disadvantages we have as a WA team that we have to be that much better to over come them.

There’s just way too many disadvantages we have as a WA team that we have to be that much better to over come them.
It’s not out of reach. We went deep in finals with RTB and made a Prelim with Connolly after a 9 game run.

We need to have integrity at selection and a few key players need to be challenged to rise from mediocrity.

I think we’ll load up (sell the farm) this off season and get that much needed class especially in the front half. We the supporters and the team need to stop thinking small, making excuses about how hard things are and think bigger.

Trading has never served either club well, look at how the Tim Kelly trade basically destroyed West Coast. But they have steered clear of that folly far more than us, and backed in both drafting and home grown talent more than we have.

The few occasions we recognise the nature of our operating environment and recruit accordingly we succeed.

Meanwhile when we try to be like a Vic club we have been done in. I will never forget people asserting that Brad Lloyd recruiting from Victoria gave us an edge - his recruiting was appalling, we basically wasted a decade, but he got to work from home. We should have demanded he work from Perth or **** off.

Too many fat headed over weight brains here making comment, unecessary to say the least, on Sean Darcy.
I wonder if their views on Darcy are in any way a fact that they carry an injury that makes their heads and brains fat.

I agree that Sydney vs Geelong would be a very boring match-up considering how tight and unpredictable this season has been. Two gluttonous teams that do not need anymore success and I wouldn’t be able to fully get behind either. That’s why I’d like Port to somehow get up, would spice things up a bit and it’d be funny to see the reactions if Ken could finally win the big one after always falling short, although after last night it seems very unlikely.

Still don’t want GWS to win the flag before us though.
Sooner see GWS win it than a VFL team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not out of reach. We went deep in finals with RTB and made a Prelim with Connolly after a 9 game run.

We need to have integrity at selection and a few key players need to be challenged to rise from mediocrity.

I think we’ll load up (sell the farm) this off season and get that much needed class especially in the front half. We the supporters and the team need to stop thinking small, making excuses about how hard things are and think bigger.
I don’t think we’re far off. It’s just that we’d already be there by now if we were in the same situation as other teams. Playing 18/23 games at home. Just the physical impact it would have over their careers on some of our guys with an extra day or two of recovery every week instead of flights.

Nailed it here .

Its without doubt the biggest off field direct football related disadvantage bar none yet it infuriates me how little thought is given to it by , well basically everyone including the non eastern state club themselves (so it appears)

At least with the player acquisition part we can sometimes “win” with regards to wa players wanting back

How us and WC don’t have an increase in the soft cap allowance to make up for such obvious disadvantage is bullshit

I mean imagine being WC and having 50 million in the bank but you can’t use it ,in this case just to “even up the playing field “ god forbid it upsets the poor Victorian clubs for the appearance of giving the WA clubs an “unfair “ advantage “

Trading has never served either club well, look at how the Tim Kelly trade basically destroyed West Coast. But they have steered clear of that folly far more than us, and backed in both drafting and home grown talent more than we have.

The few occasions we recognise the nature of our operating environment and recruit accordingly we succeed.

Meanwhile when we try to be like a Vic club we have been done in. I will never forget people asserting that Brad Lloyd recruiting from Victoria gave us an edge - his recruiting was appalling, we basically wasted a decade, but he got to work from home. We should have demanded he work from Perth or **** off.
Isn’t Walls based in Victoria too though

I don’t think we’re far off. It’s just that we’d already be there by now if we were in the same situation as other teams. Playing 18/23 games at home. Just the physical impact it would have over their careers on some of our guys with an extra day or two of recovery every week instead of flights.
And the VFL will do nothing to change that. Not even our WAFC will do anything.

The Yellas upset the VFL by winning flags in 92/94 so the VFL will never relinquish the hold on WA football.
We all know our soul was sold to the VFL by incompetent nincompoops running the WAFL at the time.

Trading has never served either club well, look at how the Tim Kelly trade basically destroyed West Coast.

That's a fun meme but I'm not sure how much stock I place in it.

It was only one year's worth of picks wasn't it? One bad draft shouldn't cripple a club for a decade.

It was more likely them systematically f**king up every draft for 5 years while injuring half their players with incompetent S&C and letting the other half get fat and lazy, all brought on by an overwhelming hubris that they could do no wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Back