Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 31 59.6%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

2020, covid hub set the scene. Players and club cried like spoilt brats. Demanded they only be away for six weeks, because some players were married withkids!!!WTF!
Player trained and played accordingly. Traing went down the gurgler. Player lost fitness, became over weight, injuries happened.
And nothing since 2020 has changed.

2020, covid hub set the scene. Players and club cried like spoilt brats. Demanded they only be away for six weeks, because some players were married withkids!!!WTF!
Player trained and played accordingly. Traing went down the gurgler. Player lost fitness, became over weight, injuries happened.
And nothing since 2020 has changed.
Time to go to AA.

It’s not out of reach. We went deep in finals with RTB and made a Prelim with Connolly after a 9 game run.

We need to have integrity at selection and a few key players need to be challenged to rise from mediocrity.

I think we’ll load up (sell the farm) this off season and get that much needed class especially in the front half. We the supporters and the team need to stop thinking small, making excuses about how hard things are and think bigger.
I get that there is still a fair degree of hate/scorn towards Ross The Boss, but I'm just not sure that folks realise what a unique effort he delivered in turning us (as an interstate expansion club) into a five year finals club. I fear it will be at least a few more decades before we get the same run of back to back prelims (let alone a grand final) that Ross delivered. Yet folks still mock and disparage him and anyone who dares support him, and salivate over the likes of Justin Longmuir, Fagan, Hinkley and Voss.

I get that there is still a fair degree of hate/scorn towards Ross The Boss, but I'm just not sure that folks realise what a unique effort he delivered in turning us (as an interstate expansion club) into a five year finals club. I fear it will be at least a few more decades before we get the same run of back to back prelims (let alone a grand final) that Ross delivered. Yet folks still mock and disparage him and anyone who dares support him, and salivate over the likes of Justin Longmuir, Fagan, Hinkley and Voss.
Ross was good. Great even. We just kept him too long.
Same with JL. But we have only been good for a month at a time. 😲

I get that there is still a fair degree of hate/scorn towards Ross The Boss, but I'm just not sure that folks realise what a unique effort he delivered in turning us (as an interstate expansion club) into a five year finals club. I fear it will be at least a few more decades before we get the same run of back to back prelims (let alone a grand final) that Ross delivered.

Even Ross couldn't deliver back-to-back prelims I'm afraid.

But I agree with your overall point. It does pain me when people try to disparage Lyon's legacy. It might not have ended well, but I'll always be grateful for the brief period he made us relevant and somewhat feared.

Even Ross couldn't deliver back-to-back prelims I'm afraid.

But I agree with your overall point. It does pain me when people try to disparage Lyon's legacy. It might not have ended well, but I'll always be grateful for the brief period he made us relevant and somewhat feared.
Sorry I didn't explain it well enough - I meant we finished top 4 in 2013, 2014 and 2015, my bad in explaining it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right. All aboard the Sydney train 🚆

I guess Geelong can too, as long as they pump the swans so hard that they look to rebuild. 🙃

Port. Please do it for kern next week. Daddy donuts loves you.

That's a fun meme but I'm not sure how much stock I place in it.

It was only one year's worth of picks wasn't it? One bad draft shouldn't cripple a club for a decade.

It was more likely them systematically f**king up every draft for 5 years while injuring half their players with incompetent S&C and letting the other half get fat and lazy, all brought on by an overwhelming hubris that they could do no wrong.
It was two years worth of 1st & 2nd rounders plus the 5-6 years of shit drafts prior where they only found role players besides a few in 2017.

The coffin was already in the ground, Tim Kelly trade was the dirt on top so there was no coming back. Still not rock bottom, will be fascinating if Richmond can go past them in 2-3 years.

That's a fun meme but I'm not sure how much stock I place in it.

It was only one year's worth of picks wasn't it? One bad draft shouldn't cripple a club for a decade.

It was more likely them systematically f**king up every draft for 5 years while injuring half their players with incompetent S&C and letting the other half get fat and lazy, all brought on by an overwhelming hubris that they could do no wrong.

Yeah it’s a misread of the situation.

Us adding Bolton and Warner, two young to mid age players in areas of need (hard running goal kicking mid/forwards, to a very young list is a bit different to them adding Kelly to an aging list just about cooked

Last edited:
Too many fat headed over weight brains here making comment, unecessary to say the least, on Sean Darcy.
I wonder if their views on Darcy are in any way a fact that they carry an injury that makes their heads and brains fat.

Meek s turning out to be a terrific ruck and good on him. You don't need to act like a jerk over an observation that posters make regarding both him and Darcy. Grow up.

I'm loving the prospect of Port getting straight-setted and since I feel nothing for any of the teams outside of that, I can just enjoy the games.
I honestly can’t pick between any of them other than Carlton
So all I do at the start of each game is work out which players or coaches I dislike the most
Lobb and Weightman lost last night but it was a tough call between them and Sicily / Watson

Damn that little ducker !

I honestly can’t pick between any of them other than Carlton
So all I do at the start of each game is work out which players or coaches I dislike the most
Lobb and Weightman lost last night but it was a tough call between them and Sicily / Watson

Damn that little ducker !
I don't even care if its Carlton.

I just want 7 good games.

I know it's incredibly frustrating sitting out this weekend but this board is becoming a bit unreadable atm.

We all love it and follow it closely but at the end of the day it's just watching a game being played by strangers.
I need to force myself not to click on the bolded link for once and stay out of this thread in particular. It's nauseating

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Back