Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 31 59.6%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Toby Greene
Self Defense Fighting GIF

Did you not watch 2016?

It was exciting, genuinely one of the best, if not the best prelim of all time

To be honest I can’t remember the game.

They should be doing well they got Hogan for a packet of chips and have had a million draft concessions and top picks. They should be playing in a GF with this list.

Just as long as Carlton or Hawthorn don’t get there I don’t care who wins.

This game is good though better than the other rot this weekend.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The game has really evolved to having quality small forwards in recent years.
I think we have been caught behind the 8 ball a bit from a list management point of view on this area, despite all the good work Wallsy has done in the list in general.
Any AFL best 22 will have fringe players and lesser players. That’s not in dispute. Historically the way teams did it was to slot in 2 or 3 of your bottom few players on either the half forward flanks or in the forward pockets.
Put all the premium talent in the key positions or on ball.

Increasingly now though all the good teams have a fleet of dangerous small forwards and linkmen around the HFF that are scorers and creators. Proportionally more goals are being scored by these types than the traditional key forwards.

Collingwood (last year), Geelong, GWS, Hawks are all built around top class smalls in the forward half of the ground.

Belatedly, we are coming to the party it appears, but it’s taken longer than it should have.

Going into next season these are our current listed small forwards or half forward flankers.
  • Switkowski, great pressure, generally clean ball handler but poor goalscorer. AFL standard but not elite.
  • Frederick, good goal scorer, average to poor ball handler (fumbles way too much), good speed though. AFL standard but not elite.
  • Banfield, average at best. Will try not be too harsh but he’s not AFL standard in a premiership contender.
  • Walters, was elite once but now not even at AFL standard anymore sadly.
  • Emmett, see Banfield above.
Delean and Simpson are kids that right now, as we sit here are unproven and not yet AFL standard.

So we have just two guys for 4 positions that are AFL standard in 2025, Frederick and Switta, and neither are elite.
Clearly Bolton is one that brings in an extra option that’s elite for these positions.
But that’s not enough I dont think. We need a 4th player here that’s ideally better than Switta or Frederick. Pickett would have been great but Baker could be a good alternative. Jack Martin - unlikely.
Maybe we do need Joe Richards.

This offseason for me is all about ensuring we don’t arrive in a finals campaign next September and have to rely on the likes of Banfield, emmet or Switta to convert the half chances that are at such a premium in big finals.
If that happens, it will end it tears, nothing surer.
To be fair the club was trying to fix our lack of talls in the forward line. We need two new starting 22 small forwards in 2025.

You are the one carrying on like a child

I was acknowledging how well Meek has been playing for Hawks. Darcey is consistently injured. I'm not saying he isn't a quality ruckman. He is also costing Freo a big slice of our cap while playing minimal games. So we aren't getting value for money. He and the club needs to solve this constant issue.

Like I said if you have an issue and need to respond like a child to my comment then you need go grow up.
Steady John you will blow a valve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Back