Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 31 59.6%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Acres was good for the Blues tonight, I'm still stunned we let him go and then signed JOM.
Yep was stupid letting Acres go for nada. He isn’t even costing Carlton much by way of salary. I could understand all the others leaving but to this day Acres made zero sense. Just my gut feel but Peter Bell being demoted to some random sort of nothing role I reckon has something to do with that. Tucker was fringe, Meek was fringe and needed opportunity, Logue was a mild stuff up but excess to needs down back and Lobb wanted out.

Acres had bugger all to do with JOM though. He was a last min trade. Traded well after Acres and before JOM was even an option. The only possible relevance to JOM was that last min trade (which I believe was to offset the loss of Mundy) was that we didn’t have sufficient time to trade for Sharp.

JOM is not the reason for our all list management issues 🤦‍♂️.

Meek was fringe and needed opportunity
We ****ed up big time on Meek.

Could have traded out Darcy and got a packet for him with Meek up our sleeve.

Now he's dominating and Darcy can't even get on the park.

Colulda shoulda woulda. The bone-on-bone is being overplayed; it's manageable if he's professional (should be our lowest expectation), and he's a game-changer when he plays. We win that Hawks game with him in, no doubt.

Could still go wrong, but even if he has issues, I'm confident Reidy is good enough against non-A-Grade rucks so that he can be managed well if required.

He's the best tap ruck in the comp and a physical beast (plus can kick a goal), plus when he gets back to marking like we know he can, it adds another dimension to transition. See how he pulls up this year before going full doom and gloom.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The herald sun highest paid players puts Darcy at 700-800k he’s not on 1mil or even 850k, Meek would be on somewhere around $500k given he had numerous suitors when he left, to me the 200-300k more to keep Darcy is justified if he can get back onto the park, and that amount of $$ isn’t the difference between landing Warner and or Pickett this year. Our biggest issue is we didn’t replace Meek with a ready to play journeyman ruck instead we went for two young unproven ones in Reidy and Knobel which given the injuries in the last two years has caused selection problems.

Meek is not dominating. Average in the true sense of the word. Middle of the pack for AFL 1st rucks. I'm happy for him he is doing really well. He's come up into the top tier from a long way back.
There is no need though for people to go round raging and pretending Meek is a like for like replacement for one of the top 2 or 3 rucks in the comp because he's not.

Meek is not dominating. Average in the true sense of the word. Middle of the pack for AFL 1st rucks. I'm happy for him he is doing really well. He's come up into the top tier from a long way back.
There is no need though for people to go round raging and pretending Meek is a like for like replacement for one of the top 2 or 3 rucks in the comp because he's not.
He toyed with English like a school child.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bullshit of using 2 million on 2 rucks is just that, bullshit.

I know through a close schoolmate of Jacko who is a daughter of a good mate that he is on closer to 750k pa over the full contract.

So between them about 1.5, with increases of salary cap, the league average wage by the time their contracts finish will be between 650k so it isn’t as bad as it seems

The bullshit of using 2 million on 2 rucks is just that, bullshit.

I know through a close schoolmate of Jacko who is a daughter of a good mate that he is on closer to 750k pa over the full contract.

So between them about 1.5, with increases of salary cap, the league average wage by the time their contracts finish will be between 650k so it isn’t as bad as it seems
It's not about the money.

It's about Darcy having no knees, being unfit and being unable to get on the park enough.

Surprised that seems up for debate 🤔

Yes we know that but the media go on about 2m which is simple crap
Oh mate, fully agree. Not worried about the cap or what we're paying him.

I just think we have a broken down ruck on a long term contract who can't get on the park, while we let go of a very handy apprentice who's gone on to stamp himself as a premier ruck.

Darcy was a liability this year. Knees don't get better with more and more surgeries.

Sliding doors moment.

EDIT: TLDR....

Meek is the highest rated player on the ground playing finals, Darcy is injured and home season over. Yikes! Sliding doors moment.
💯

Last edited:
Can’t believe there are adults in 2024 who still think Monty Python is funny.
Sad Holy Grail GIF by Monty Python

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Back