Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 31 59.6%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Port's pressure has been immense and they've come to play. It's depressing though that this Hawks team has stood up well and look like they'll be a strong team going forward.

I'm very much on the death-ride though still. C'mon Meek and others.

Port's pressure has been immense and they've come to play. It's depressing though that this Hawks team has stood up well and look like they'll be a strong team going forward.

I'm very much on the death-ride though still. C'mon Meek and others.
Could argue that not standing up is exactly what's keeping Hawthorn in this game.

Yes because he does it in isolation.

When you have 6+ blokes running around playing for frees like that it's impossible to ignore.

Hawks have Watson, Ginnivan, Moore, McDonald, Newcombe, Worpel and Breust at minimum who do it regularly.

We have Walters, Switkowski (once in a blue moon) and just about no-one else.
Switta actually has perfected it. Subtle enough that it hasn't become a thing like Walters and if he plays for it he almost always gets it paid.

Common sense would tell you that when an entire team keeps drawing high free kicks/dangerous tackles in their forward 50 then it's actually not normal and they are all playing for the frees, hence you should be letting more of them go. For some reason the umpires are ****ing brain dead and can't figure it out.

Even in the Hawks game vs us their first 5 or so goals came from free kicks that they played for.

We can play for them all we want but they don't even pay the ones that are there most of the time. Different teams and different players get different treatment.

Sure, why not?
No Way Cat GIF

Switta actually has perfected it. Subtle enough that it hasn't become a thing like Walters and if he plays for it he almost always gets it paid.

Common sense would tell you that when an entire team keeps drawing high free kicks/dangerous tackles in their forward 50 then it's actually not normal and they are all playing for the frees, hence you should be letting more of them go. For some reason the umpires are ****ing brain dead and can't figure it out.

Even in the Hawks game vs us their first 5 or so goals came from free kicks that they played for.

We can play for them all we want but they don't even pay the ones that are there most of the time. Different teams and different players get different treatment.
I'd still like to see us try. What have we got to lose? 90% of the time you play for a free in the tackle and the worst outcome is a ball up.

I can not wait for the umpires to do to the whole Hawks forwardline what they did to Ginnivan a few years ago, even if it is next year.

Vision of Moore needs to be clipped and sent them. ****ing campaigner the way he pushes off to get that sling tackle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or that extra second it takes you to play for the free lets the other team walk the ball out of there.
Yep. Like Watson lying on hi ass like an idiot.

What are you Jack Darling.
I'm just sick of us not being good enough and not exhausting all options to be good enough.

I detest it but it's part of the game. I've wanted it to change since bloke's like Ashton Hams made short but fleeting AFL careers out of it and nothing has changed.

We need to make get on the same page as our opponents or we are always playing disadvantaged.

Or that extra second it takes you to play for the free lets the other team walk the ball out of there.
So I see one example of it not working and 3 examples of the Hawks getting direct goals from it.

Anyway it's clear I have a difference of opinion to some on here about it so I'll leave it at that.

I actually didn’t mind Selwood and co. They took on the tackle and had the strength to lift it high.

This throwing the head into the tackle rubbish is in direct opposition to what the afl are trying to achieve about protecting the head.

I can not wait for the umpires to do to the whole Hawks forwardline what they did to Ginnivan a few years ago, even if it is next year.

Vision of Moore needs to be clipped and sent them. ****ing campaigner the way he pushes off to get that sling tackle.
you're going to be waiting a while

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Back