Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 31 59.6%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't get wanting Geelong to win, always back the non-Victorian team.
Why would I want to watch another team break their decades long premiership droughts? The one constant in AFL is that Geelong is good. Everyone knows they're good and they will always be good. A premiership for them is boring and expected. Which is the perfect results if my team doesn't win it.

The GF was over after 5 mins.

Everyone switched off. Who wants to watch a mismatch

If the game was alive in the final quarter I imagine I would be high rating.
There've been a few GF thrashings in the past couple decades where people watched to the end. 2022 was outrated by 2019, which was an even worse GF. Geelong and Sydney are boring, regularly seen in GFs and not even an interesting matchup in terms of historical rivalry.

I want an all non-Vic GF. It's been 18 years since the last one!

There've been a few GF thrashings in the past couple decades where people watched to the end. 2022 was outrated by 2019, which was an even worse GF. Geelong and Sydney are boring, regularly seen in GFs and not even an interesting matchup in terms of historical rivalry.

I can confirm I watched the 2015 GF thrashing to the end

Better for us if Geelong play in the GF this year, if it’s a non-vic GF this year you know they’ll do everything possible to ensure a vic team gets in next year, which could be at our expense, better to save the non VIC GF for next year when we’re in it.

Better for us if Geelong play in the GF this year, if it’s a non-vic GF this year you know they’ll do everything possible to ensure a vic team gets in next year, which could be at our expense, better to save the non VIC GF for next year when we’re in it.
There hasn't been a non-Vic GF since 2006 - I don't think they're going to 'save it' for us.

Season 1 Please GIF

Please not Brisbane. Anyone but Brisbane.

I’ll never understand people bagging North out for this.
Sure - Phillips is a miss so far.

But Logan McDonald? The new Todd Marshall?
Hardly one to be crying over missing out on now is he.

Here’s a hypothetical. Would Logan mcdonald make the Fremantle B22 next year? If so who would he replace?

I honestly think he’d be down at Peel alongside Voss in the twos 💁🏻‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here’s a hypothetical. Would Logan mcdonald make the Fremantle B22 next year? If so who would he replace?

He would replace Jackson and Jackson go mid.

Woah, are we just going to ignore Norf going full Lolnorf and giving multiple years to one of the most cooked players in the comp?

Kinda my point. Plenty of things to give north grief over - drafting one C grader over another is certainly not one of them.
Hmm, I think they are crying out for a McDonald type that leads up the ground. Is he A-grade and is it a generational miss? No, but it was dumb not to pick him up over MORE mids. Phillips is a spud

He's been passed by Treacy this year but that's pretty disengenuous I think to not understand why people criticise North so much here.

Their KPF stocks consist of: Nick Larkey. That's it. No real good prospects either now Comben has established himself as a KPD. It's their single biggest list hole and they're supposed to be a side that have stacked the list with young draft picks who now just need to develop. And they passed on an A grade KPF prospect who fell into their lap.

Despite not having a truly inspiring year, Logan is still kicking 35 goals as a 22 year old KPF and playing a fair bit up the ground (more so than say Jye).

I actually do think it's a generational and trajectory altering drafting error. They've got about 6 mids who are already better than Phillips who aren't that old. Put McDonald at CHF for the next 10 years and they're a much better team this year and for a decade. Now they have to scrabble around to find someone ready made (which as we know either costs a ton or doesn't work) or wait 3-4 years to develop someone.

We are just spoiled having probably the best two under 22 KPFs in the league so we don't really care about Logan McDonald anymore, an odd position to be in at Fremantle.

He's been passed by Treacy this year but that's pretty disengenuous I think to not understand why people criticise North so much here.

Their KPF stocks consist of: Nick Larkey. That's it. No real good prospects either now Comben has established himself as a KPD. It's their single biggest list hole and they're supposed to be a side that have stacked the list with young draft picks who now just need to develop. And they passed on an A grade KPF prospect who fell into their lap.

Despite not having a truly inspiring year, Logan is still kicking 35 goals as a 22 year old KPF and playing a fair bit up the ground (more so than say Jye).

I actually do think it's a generational and trajectory altering drafting error. They've got about 6 mids who are already better than Phillips who aren't that old. Put McDonald at CHF for the next 10 years and they're a much better team this year and for a decade. Now they have to scrabble around to find someone ready made (which as we know either costs a ton or doesn't work) or wait 3-4 years to develop someone.

We are just spoiled having probably the best two under 22 KPFs in the league so we don't really care about Logan McDonald anymore, an odd position to be in at Fremantle.
Watch them draft another mid with pick 2, and they’ll explain it with point of difference this one has to their other 6.

Watch them draft another mid with pick 2, and they’ll explain it with point of difference this one has to their other 6.
surely they trade down and just grab Armstrong?

Yes I know they need a buyer and in such an even top 10 for most it’s not worth it but here’s the kicker - if north are truly serious about improving their list and in general you just MAKE IT worthwhile for the team buying

however unlike GC (and more in line with all minnow vic clubs ,north value high draft picks above all , like a panacea )so I can still see them putting their foot down over pick 2 like it’s valued as any other year pick 2

I really get the feeling north have just consigned themselves to stumble their way to success through sheer weight of numbers(high draft picks)
And tbh why wouldn’t they ?with Laura Kane and the AFL ready to wipe their arse the minute they don’t want to do it themselves

According to Ryan Daniels Hayden Skipworth is the new front runner for the WC coaching job. Assistant at Collywobbles

Hmm, I think they are crying out for a McDonald type that leads up the ground. Is he A-grade and is it a generational miss? No, but it was dumb not to pick him up over MORE mids. Phillips is a spud

It’s a generational miss IMO considering how obvious it was from the very second North Melbourne used that selection.

At the time Ugle-Hagan, Thilthorpe and McDonald were the best three prospects by a long, long way.

It’s up there with drafting Richard Tambling instead of Lance Franklin except if Franklin was a top 6-7 KPF in the league (still think McDonald will be that) rather than an all time great. It’s a truly terrible selection by a club trying to be too clever for its own good.

It’s a generational miss IMO considering how obvious it was from the very second North Melbourne used that selection.

At the time Ugle-Hagan, Thilthorpe and McDonald were the best three prospects by a long, long way.

It’s up there with drafting Richard Tambling instead of Lance Franklin except if Franklin was a top 6-7 KPF in the league (still think McDonald will be that) rather than an all time great. It’s a truly terrible selection by a club trying to be too clever for its own good.
Definitely agree on the stupidity of the pick but I reckon you're going to have to admit defeat on the McDonald is still really good in the next few years. Dont remember to many top ones being sent down back due to lack of impact up front. The competitiveness just isnt there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Back