Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 31 59.6%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been passed by Treacy this year but that's pretty disengenuous I think to not understand why people criticise North so much here.

Their KPF stocks consist of: Nick Larkey. That's it. No real good prospects either now Comben has established himself as a KPD. It's their single biggest list hole and they're supposed to be a side that have stacked the list with young draft picks who now just need to develop. And they passed on an A grade KPF prospect who fell into their lap.

Despite not having a truly inspiring year, Logan is still kicking 35 goals as a 22 year old KPF and playing a fair bit up the ground (more so than say Jye).

I actually do think it's a generational and trajectory altering drafting error. They've got about 6 mids who are already better than Phillips who aren't that old. Put McDonald at CHF for the next 10 years and they're a much better team this year and for a decade. Now they have to scrabble around to find someone ready made (which as we know either costs a ton or doesn't work) or wait 3-4 years to develop someone.

We are just spoiled having probably the best two under 22 KPFs in the league so we don't really care about Logan McDonald anymore, an odd position to be in at Fremantle.
Sounds like Freo pre Triple J’s

I see Geelong still aren’t playing their home final down in Geelong. Even after the revamp. They really did try to screw us in that qualifying final the AFL didn’t they.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pretty high on the list of blatant, partisan, utterly unfair things the AFL has done to us over the years. Hell it’s probably up there with all clubs, all time corrupt, engineering an outcome. Rates with letting Barry Hall, Cotchin off suspension to play GF or deliberately manipulating the draw/fixture to try& ensure big Vic clubs make finals.

It’s a good one to drop in to banter with Cats fans, that we’re the only team in the competition with a winning record at their deck in finals.

Knew Kennedy would be told to leave Carlton.
Flew up on the day of his first baby’s birth only to be benched, out of 22 putrid players losing 61-0, halfway through the second quarter.
You’d be stupid to stay given that disrespect
We’d be stupid not to look at him IMO. Miles ahead of Banners and JOM.

Hayden Skipworth the new Eagles coach?

Definitely agree on the stupidity of the pick but I reckon you're going to have to admit defeat on the McDonald is still really good in the next few years. Dont remember to many top ones being sent down back due to lack of impact up front. The competitiveness just isnt there.

McDonald was never lacking impact up forward, especially for a fourth year player. He was sent back in what is perhaps one of the dumbest moves Longmire has ever made because Sydney were short on KPDs and didn’t trust their depth. I can’t remember who their opposition was but they basically lost a game because of it.

Anyway the point is only partly how good McDonald is now. It was obvious who the better player was between McDonald and Phillips from day one and remains that way - that’s what really makes the pick really really bad both at the time and in hindsight.

Even if McDonald doesn’t improve at all he still makes most teams in the competition. Phillips is barely getting a game at North playing a position/s where it’s far easier to get a game.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a generational miss IMO considering how obvious it was from the very second North Melbourne used that selection.

At the time Ugle-Hagan, Thilthorpe and McDonald were the best three prospects by a long, long way.

It’s up there with drafting Richard Tambling instead of Lance Franklin except if Franklin was a top 6-7 KPF in the league (still think McDonald will be that) rather than an all time great. It’s a truly terrible selection by a club trying to be too clever for its own good.
I can pick out a heap of draft selections in the last decade or so alone that were worse. Far far worse.
  • macasey over Young/serong
  • Dylan Stephens over young/serong
  • mcCartin over petracca
  • Billings over Bont
  • paddy Dow over LDU
  • Schache instead of Curnow/Mckay
  • north selected Will Walker at 23 in 2017. In the following 10 picks, Tim Kelly, Ryan, Sam Taylor, Daniels, Fritsch, Balta, Tom McCartin were all picked. All much superior to Logan McD. You wanna hang shit on north for a bad draft pick? - there’s one right there.

Also comparing Lance Franklin in the same breath as Logan mcdonald, you know better that that lol

The point is Logan is a league average footballer at best. He’s not generational or a superstar, or even an AA level player. He’s not a huge miss.
Thats the point. Missing out on gun players hurts at draft time in retrospect.
Picking a C grader instead of a D grader doesn’t hurt near as much.

Last edited:
McDonald was never lacking impact up forward, especially for a fourth year player. He was sent back in what is perhaps one of the dumbest moves Longmire has ever made because Sydney were short on KPDs and didn’t trust their depth. I can’t remember who their opposition was but they basically lost a game because of it.
It was their round 20 loss to the Bulldogs. Melican was subbed off injured in the 2nd qtr and McDonald was thrown down back to cover.

It was their round 20 loss to the Bulldogs. Melican was subbed off injured in the 2nd qtr and McDonald was thrown down back to cover.
I think he also started back against the Pies, and swung forward late in the game.

I think he also started back against the Pies, and swung forward late in the game.
Absolutely bonkers that Hamling never got a game in 2024. So many times he could have come in.

Longmire's an idiot. Sydney could have finished on top of the ladder... oh wait.

Anyone know if Hayden Skipworth has ever been sacked from any job before, or if he's about to take on a job that will lead to his first sacking?

Anyway the point is only partly how good McDonald is now. It was obvious who the better player was between McDonald and Phillips from day one and remains that way - that’s what really makes the pick really really bad both at the time and in hindsight.

Even if McDonald doesn’t improve at all he still makes most teams in the competition. Phillips is barely getting a game at North playing a position/s where it’s far easier to get a game.
Plus Phillips is a shorter player. He’s limited to midfield and maybe half back. Shocking selection

I think North Melbourne needed to have some wins off field, so they picked the player who could/would/should impact immediately and get headlines of hope out there over the player who might not debut for years.
Well they can tick that box now.
ee5b73332d6468933ea83797f7bd9206.jpeg

I see Geelong still aren’t playing their home final down in Geelong. Even after the revamp. They really did try to screw us in that qualifying final the AFL didn’t they.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The VFL did, not Geelong.
I think the Golden Greek and his side kick Little Addy Anderson were in charge of that, The GG hated Freo.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Back