Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 32 57.1%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 19 33.9%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 5 8.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Impressive effort for Brisbane to make the GF from outside the top 4 as a non-Victorian team.

I believe it’s only been done once before, in 2019 by GWS.

Like 2019 though, I think Sydney shit this premiership in. I just don’t think you can win 3 consecutive away games against top sides to win a flag. Hence I always thought non-Vic sides cannot win the flag outside of 4th. Fascinating to see if I’m proven wrong though.

Impressive effort for Brisbane to make the GF from outside the top 4 as a non-Victorian team.

I believe it’s only been done once before, in 2019 by GWS.

Like 2019 though, I think Sydney shit this premiership in. I just don’t think you can win 3 consecutive away games against top sides to win a flag. Hence I always thought non-Vic sides cannot win the flag outside of 4th. Fascinating to see if I’m proven wrong though.

Adelaide in 1998 won a premiership from 5th but they also had the different finals system of 1st vs 8th, 2nd vs 7th...so they lost in the first week to 4th place Melbourne but weren't in the lowest 2 teams eliminated and then went on to win the next 3 vs the teams that finished 1,2,3 at the end of the home and away season. All 4 games were played away from Adelaide.

Last edited:
Brisbane should be better prepared mentally than Sydney. A tight grand final last year, plus this tight prelim should keep them in good stead. Meanwhile the swans haven't played at the MCG since April.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Back