Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 33 57.9%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 5 8.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If Logan McDonald misses through injury, which tall forward playing in their ressies gets the gig?
If only they had a kpp with gf experience
:)

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Would be equal parts hilarious and frustrating if he plays one game for the swans and it’s a grand final.

Ffs

Would be equal parts hilarious and frustrating if he plays one game for the swans and it’s a grand final.

Ffs
He’s done it for the Dogs already so doesn’t really sting. Would just be flipping hilarious imo.

Wonder which players would take that. Play ressies the entire year but play the gf vs be a regular all year to get your team to the position.

I’d put that down to natural team development, like Young moving from the backline to midfield for us. Haven’t checked all the ins and outs from Sydney’s 2022 GF team to this one, but the biggest one is out: Cooked Buddy, In: AA Ruck Grundy

Each to their own, but Heeney is an absolute monster now and he certainly wasn't that in 2022.

While their midfield has also exploded into a goal kicking powerhouse of a unit, Grundy is a core part of their chemistry.

Will eat my words though if Darcy Fort comes out with a medal next week and start believing rucks are pretty pointless in most games.
Absolutely the ruck needs to be viewed in terms of the midfield unit as a whole.

Ruck taps are one of the trickiest contested possessions to harness, so any meaning distilled from those stats is very loose.

The reason rucks really come into their own at finals time is because of their capacity to shape momentum. Many a final has been defined, or turned, by a powerful ruck bullocking through tight contests and stoppages.

Jackson's role in Melbourne's GF is one of the most recent and stand out examples of momentum coming out of the ruck. Clark Keating another more historical example.

Absolutely the ruck needs to be viewed in terms of the midfield unit as a whole.

Ruck taps are one of the trickiest contested possessions to harness, so any meaning distilled from those stats is very loose.

The reason rucks really come into their own at finals time is because of their capacity to shape momentum. Many a final has been defined, or turned, by a powerful ruck bullocking through tight contests and stoppages.

Jackson's role in Melbourne's GF is one of the most recent and stand out examples of momentum coming out of the ruck. Clark Keating another more historical example.
So, Brisbane are getting Clark Keating out of cryogenics?

Each to their own, but Heeney is an absolute monster now and he certainly wasn't that in 2022.
I agree, however this discussion started with someone saying you don’t need to spend big on rucks and sited Grundy vs Foote as this weeks match up as being evidence. I would argue that the biggest difference to the swans line up this year is the addition of a former AA level Ruckman.

So, Brisbane are getting Clark Keating out of cryogenics?
How long do you reckon they'd hesitate at that option if it was a possibility? A full millisecond or a half?

re-animator horror GIF by Shudder

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a peep at the Port board recently and saw a post there as follows

"Since 2015 Port are 1-21 in away games against top 4 sides. Average losing margin of 41points.

0-4 during the Hinkley era in preliminary finals.

As a club Port are 0-4 in away preliminary finals. Have lost 2 home preliminary finals"

I didn't check those figures however if they are correct then little wonder the Port faithful are becoming restless.

It's difficult to see Hinkley lasting too much longer as coach of Port.

I agree, however this discussion started with someone saying you don’t need to spend big on rucks and sited Grundy vs Foote as this weeks match up as being evidence. I would argue that the biggest difference to the swans line up this year is the addition of a former AA level Ruckman.

Swans didn't pay big to get Grundy and apparently aren't paying him much in salary either. Unbelievable that Melbourne would just GIFT a finals rival the piece they needed most.

My gut feel is that outside players tend to ride hype in the leadup to the count but then are ignored by the umpires when the actual votes come out. So if I were looking for a bet it would be that Gulden doesn't poll as well as the AFL predictor suggests.

Very good player, but umpires love a clearance.

I just saw the odds and I’m shocked. Shouldn’t he be a sneaky chance to actually win it? He’s polled high in coaches votes in all of our wins, and most of our losses were close which keeps him in the hunt for votes.
Fell off a bit tbh. Will probably be leading at some point early on but won’t poll too much towards the end

I'd like to see Heeney poll most votes. Best player this year in my opinion.
I'm not overly fussed who wins, as I don't think it will be Serong. Treacy deserves to poll at least a few votes

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Back