Oppo Camp Non Giants AFL discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearly they are. Taranto is wanting the players to stay, he doesn't want another meaningless year/s in his career.
I don't blame him for leaving, he gave his best for 6 years. Things didn't look good in 2022 at GWS.
He might yet win a flag there, and not miss out here.
Just not in 2024 to 2026.
He only missed finals twice with us.

They did the hard yards in building GWS as a club ... now they're going to do it all over again rebuilding Richmond.
TBF, by the time they got here we were a pretty good club and regular finalists.
Only really had 1 bad year.

He had 5 good years with Giants, in contention for the premiership and finals ( only just missed out in 2020).
The wasted years are 2022, 2024, very likely 2025,2026, maybe 2027.
You hate to see it. *

* Actual amount of hate may be negative and better described as joy.

A quick guide on who we want to win for the other games this weekend.

Swans v Collingwood: Probably Swans to rule out any chance of the Magpies making the 8, however a Swans loss could provide the possibility of us leap-frogging them if they continue their poor run of form.

North v Eagles: Doesn't matter.

Fremantle v Geelong: Geelong, they will almost certainly finish in the top 8 with an easy last couple of rounds. Whereas a Fremantle loss could see the wheels start to come off ahead of our game next week and could even see them drop out of the finals entirely.

Essendon v Gold Coast: A Gold Coast win would knock the bombers out of contention.

Melbourne v Port: Melbourne.

Carlton v Hawthorn: Carlton. Despite our win last week, Hawthorn remain the biggest threat of knocking us out of the 8. Their last 2 rounds are pretty much free points. If they beat Carlton this week and win their last 2, they will definitely knock us out if we lose our last 3 games. And could still knock us out on percentage if we only win 1.

Richmond v St Kilda: Doesn't matter.

Adelaide v Bulldogs: Adelaide.

Last edited:

Swans v Collingwood: Probably Swans to rule out any chance of the Magpies making the 8, however a Swans loss could provide the possibility of us leap-frogging them if they continue their poor run of form.

Fremantle v Geelong: Geelong, they will almost certainly finish in the top 8 with an easy last couple of rounds. Whereas a Fremantle loss could see the wheels start to come off ahead of our game next week and could even see them drop out of the finals entirely.

Essendon v Gold Coast: A Gold Coast win would knock the bombers out of contention.

Carlton v Hawthorn: Carlton. Despite our win last week, Hawthorn remain the biggest threat of knocking us out of the 8. Their last 2 rounds are pretty much free points. If they beat Carlton this week and win their last 2, they will definitely knock us out if we lose our last 3 games. And could still knock us out on percentage if we only win 1.

I think who we want to win this weekend, depends on whether we think Giants are top 4 bound?

If so (and full disclosure, I think we are contending for top 4), I think the only change to your preferred winners list is that we want the winners to be Collingwood, Fremantle (as I think Geelong will get to 16 wins if they beat Freo) and Hawthorn (although Carlton even with a win against Hawks will only get to 15 wins, which may not be enough for a top 4 spot given their %).

I think who we want to win this weekend, depends on whether we think Giants are top 4 bound?

If so (and full disclosure, I think we are contending for top 4), I think the only change to your preferred winners list is that we want the winners to be Collingwood, Fremantle (as I think Geelong will get to 16 wins if they beat Freo) and Hawthorn (although Carlton even with a win against Hawks will only get to 15 wins, which may not be enough for a top 4 spot given their %).
Good point. I guess the lens I'm looking through is ensuring us a place in finals. Which I'm still not sure we'll see given how hard our run home is.

Swans v Collingwood and Fremantle v Geelong can really go either way, but I'll sleep a lot better once the Hawks have been out. Definitely going for Carlton in that one.

JKW

Just
Keep
Winning

Goodbye Collingwood.
Welcome Isaac Heeney in the last quarter. Not sure who wore his jersey for the last month or so.

I could see Curnow doing the villainous vultured Coleman thing with a bag or two given their soft draw home. Hopefully the Eagles & Saints go full grinch and thwart a steal of Hogan’s rightful Coleman. If Hogan can kick on against tougher oppo that would be emphatic.
Hope you are right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny all the frustrations coming from the Pies coach and fans regarding the Swans game umpiring. I say have you watched the 4th qtr of last year's Prelim!!??

But they do have a point, Swans had a lot go their way, especially the 50m penalty not given

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app
They had a much worse one not given in the North game.

Funny all the frustrations coming from the Pies coach and fans regarding the Swans game umpiring. I say have you watched the 4th qtr of last year's Prelim!!??

But they do have a point, Swans had a lot go their way, especially the 50m penalty not given

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pies usual hypocrisy aside, there is an underlying point that VFL HQ simply refuses to acknowledge.

That is, the AFL is the only pro sport in the world where the umpires relish deciding games with 50/50 decisions and their decisions go unquestioned by the League.

The multiple umpires amplifies the problem as the controling umpire can believe there’s no free, yet a distant umpire can still intervene on a dubious whim.

This leaves the game very, very vulnerable to match fixing and makes a centralised VFL umpiring department a complete joke.

The reason it doesn’t change is that the VFL clubs know for a fact that, on average over a season, it always favours their teams.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Giants AFL discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back