Simple Jack

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Webber, Ricciardo, NE Patriots
I haven't played footy for about 8 years or so but over summer I've really gotten back into playing a lot of sport with mates. Cricket, football (American), footy, basketball etc.

Now all of these we have just been stuffing around with i.e. nets session, throwing the football to each other, kicking the footy, just taking shots at bball etc but I kind of want to take it to the next level and actually get back into some organised sport.

However when we were playing cricket one day in late Jan the local footy team was starting full on training on the oval next to us. They were all doing what looked like very serious training, with a hell of a lot of running in the boiling heat (35+) in bloody January to which I simply thought '**** that'.

So is there any really low grade of footy that is far less 'endurance' based than the modern game has unfortunately become that maybe starts training a bit later in the year that needs players with absolutely no fitness and rusty skills, or does that not exist?

Btw, I'm 21 and in the South Eastern suburbs of Melbourne.

P.s. I decided to put it here rather than the local footy board because it seemed like it would get a better response here.

I haven't played footy for about 8 years or so but over summer I've really gotten back into playing a lot of sport with mates. Cricket, football (American), footy, basketball etc.

Now all of these we have just been stuffing around with i.e. nets session, throwing the football to each other, kicking the footy, just taking shots at bball etc but I kind of want to take it to the next level and actually get back into some organised sport.

However when we were playing cricket one day in late Jan the local footy team was starting full on training on the oval next to us. They were all doing what looked like very serious training, with a hell of a lot of running in the boiling heat (35+) in bloody January to which I simply thought '**** that'.

So is there any really low grade of footy that is far less 'endurance' based than the modern game has unfortunately become that maybe starts training a bit later in the year that needs players with absolutely no fitness and rusty skills, or does that not exist?

Btw, I'm 21 and in the South Eastern suburbs of Melbourne.

P.s. I decided to put it here rather than the local footy board because it seemed like it would get a better response here.

Geez, that worked well for ya :D.

Don't know much about the SE 'burbs leagues, but if you don't mind travellin', I thin k these boys need all the help they can get.

But the North Sunshine Football Club’s 401-point drubbing at the hands of local rivals the Albanvale Cobras on Saturday may actually prove to be a blessing in disguise.
On the back of their 67.22 (424) to 3.5 (23) loss in Western Region Football League second division on Saturday, AFL legend Matthew Richardson has offered to hold a training session with the Roadrunners, who have not notched up a win in two years

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richo-to-rescue-after-teams-401point-thrashing-20100511-upry.html#ixzz2OAKApIR7

Geez, that worked well for ya :D.

Don't know much about the SE 'burbs leagues, but if you don't mind travellin', I thin k these boys need all the help they can get.

Haha yeah no kidding.

Probably a bit of a trek out that way every weekend, plus any league where a team is getting beaten by 400 odd points is pretty much gonna be a bit too super serious for me.

I'm kind of hoping for a bit of a 'social' type league. (Basically looking for under 12s for adults)

Haha yeah no kidding.

Probably a bit of a trek out that way every weekend, plus any league where a team is getting beaten by 400 odd points is pretty much gonna be a bit too super serious for me.

I'm kind of hoping for a bit of a 'social' type league. (Basically looking for under 12s for adults)

This mebbe more of what you're after

The Reclink Community Cup (at which O’Shannessy won the Steve Connelly medal this year) may be its more famous cousin, but Pub Footy stretches on for a whole season, always held at the Gillon Oval in Brunswick.
“A lot of the pubs interpret the game in their own interesting manner,” muses O’Shannessy. “Some teams run through a banner at half time instead of before the game. There’ll be beers passed around at half time, or if it’s a cold day there’ll be a bottle of Stones getting around. It’s a social league, but very competitive.”

http://www.au.timeout.com/melbourne/sports/events/4363/pub-footy

If you can stand the scenesters

I'd stay well clear of Nth Sunshine (The Roadrunners FFS). Despite that article being nearly 3 years old, things ain't really improved for the 'runners

I reckon the lower section's of the ammo's would be your best bet. Although the travelling might be a bit more than a local league, the grounds are mostly all private school ovals in good nick and there is a shortage of bogans just running around to try and start a blue.

As the poster above mentioned you might want to check out clubbies in the ammo's. I'm new to the league but one of the blokes at training told me they're basically a thirds and only train one night a week. So that might be your go.

I reckon the lower section's of the ammo's would be your best bet. Although the travelling might be a bit more than a local league, the grounds are mostly all private school ovals in good nick and there is a shortage of bogans just running around to try and start a blue.
By ammos you mean VAFA right?

The club I played juniors for plays in the VAFA and also happen to be a 5 minute walk from my place.

You could try clubbies in the VAFA or the SFL, trust me, I've seen games and you don't need to be fit...

Or maybe give AFL 9's a go?
Nah 99% percent of my usefulness to the team would be the physical stuff so doesn't look like 9's would be a winner.

I might try giving the old club a call.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sports Non super serious local footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back