AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

A nice article on Kearney.

Interview 'Shattering': How Grand Final heartbreak is driving the Roos

'Shattering': How Grand Final heartbreak is driving the Roos​

Captain Emma Kearney speaks to NMFC Media ahead of the club's AFLW season opener
By Matt Price - NMFC Media
ME200824MW00061-EK.jpg

"When you've got almost one hand on the cup and then it slips away from you, it's pretty shattering."

As the Kangaroos prepare to launch their 2024 AFLW campaign against Brisbane on Sunday, North Melbourne captain Emma Kearney is discussing December's Grand Final.

Despite losing midfielder Jenna Bruton to a ruptured Achilles in the game's opening minutes, the Roos had led Brisbane at every change. In the third term, Kate Shierlaw's hanger had restored their lead. Alice O'Loughlin's pincer tackle sent them into three-quarter time seven points up and high on confidence.

"We had all the momentum and we felt we had enough of a margin to be able to hold them up," Kearney says.

"But Brisbane are an exceptionally fit side and we were down one of our best contest-to-contest runners in Jenna.

"So we were stretched. For some of our mids and some of our high forwards, their workload was a lot higher than what was probably expected going into the game, and in that last quarter, we just couldn't stop the bleeding."

Brisbane's premiership-winning fourth quarter, led by barely-mobile spearhead Dakota Davidson, who kicked two goals on an injured knee, made for a deflating end to what had been a memorable Kangaroos season.

For Kearney and the team, the hollow feeling was twofold.

"We were all shattered to lose the Grand Final, and we were also disappointed because the season was over," she says.

"We love hanging out as a group, we enjoy training together. We enjoy hanging out on the field, we're seeing each other all the time, and then all of a sudden the season was done."

That tight team bond has been evident for some time at Arden St, and it was particularly on display in North Melbourne's two finals wins.

For all their dominance over other teams, the Kangas entered the 2023 finals having been persistently unable to beat the competition's 'big three'. Alongside their seven wins in the home-and-away season had been a two-point loss to Brisbane and a three-point loss to Adelaide. In a 23-point loss to Melbourne, the Roos were held scoreless for 63 minutes.

Toppling the Demons and Crows in two hoodoo-eviscerating finals, then, not only answered the Roos' critics, but also rewired the team's own expectations.

To Kearney the turnaround was no surprise.

"We started to see a bit of growth in our group during last season, particularly the mental side of things, and being able to regather ourselves when things weren't going our way on the field," she says.

"And so leading into that finals campaign, we got tremendous confidence. Once we got a massive win over Melbourne, we knew going into (the preliminary final against) Adelaide that we could beat them.

"Confidence and belief is massive for our group - just knowing that we are a good side."

In the rooms after the Grand Final defeat, coach Darren Crocker did most of the talking. He spoke about the team's growth, and how they now had the belief to match it with the competition's best.

Afterwards, says Kearney, the players got down to business.

"We've been able to take that belief and that hunger… and then in the off-season, the girls just went to work.

"Maybe in the back of everyone's mind they want to be able to get there again on Grand Final day. But we know that it's no guarantee, and so the girls came back in tremendous condition.

"PBs (personal bests) across the board in both our strength testing and our fitness testing. And hopefully come the pointy end of the season, that's going to put us in a really good position."

The Kangaroos also brought in off-season reinforcements, adding depth that could prove important given the team's already-significant injury list.

Two-time premiership player Libby Birch, traded in from Melbourne, will bring aerial cover and experience in defence when she returns from her MCL injury.

Vikki Wall, who returns after missing last season to pursue an Olympic opportunity with Ireland, will provide an explosive new outlet for the Roos in attack.

Kearney can't wait to see the new arrivals in action (Birch will be "great in defence for us", she says. And of Wall: "We know the excitement she can bring").

But she's also excited about the next generation emerging to support established stars like Jasmine Garner, Ash Riddell and - though she omits her own name - Kearney herself.

"You always know what you're going to get from your stars in your team like Jammin (Garner) or Ash," Kearney says. "But it's been great to see the growth in our young players like Taylah Gatt, Ruby Tripodi and Tess Craven.

"Craven, for example, has really come into her own in this pre-season. Her confidence has developed.

"The most important thing when you play at the highest level, whatever sport you play, is that you feel like you belong at that level. I reckon if I had asked her, she wouldn't have thought that last year, but I reckon she's starting to feel that now."
W08MeNM23MW00800.jpg

Tess Craven is heading into her fourth AFLW season

Now 34, Kearney has played in all eight AFLW seasons to date. She played in the first ever AFLW premiership with the Western Bulldogs, and in North Melbourne's inaugural team when the Roos entered the comp in 2019. She is the only player to win All Australian selection in every season.

What keeps driving her? She remains passionate about seeing the competition evolve, and about leading the Kangaroos onwards into a fresh campaign - starting with Round 1's tasty Grand Final rematch.

"I get really excited by (AFLW evolving) because the competition is starting to feel more real," she says.

"In the early days it felt almost like it was a tournament - it was over really quickly. But now it feels real, and the connections that I've built with some of these girls are really strong.

"Round 1's always really exciting, and we've got no bigger task than playing Brisbane in Brisbane. It's going to be hot. We know they are a fast contested side, so it's a great challenge for our group to see where we're at.

"Then probably, for me, it's just about seeing the growth in development of our younger players that I've been able to see on the track in pre-season.

"Being able to see them do it in season - that'll certainly put a smile on my face."

Roo's admission after unusual off-season mishap

Roo's admission after unusual off-season mishap​

Jas Ferguson concedes her concerns about an off-season incident almost impacted her more than the injury itself
By Sarah Black - AFL.com.au
jasmine-ferguson-portrait-hero.png

Back in May, on the eve of the AFLW pre-season, North Melbourne defender Jas Ferguson had to make an awkward phone call.

The 24-year-old had spent part of the off-season in her hometown, which included a handful of netball games with her childhood club, Ellinbank, just south of Warragul in Gippsland.

Playing centre (the defender jokes that she's "definitely not a midfielder in football"), Ferguson fractured her right hand during one of the games and had to call the Kangaroos' brains trust to fess up.

She underwent surgery, but thankfully only missed a small portion of off-season training and hasn't missed a pre-season session.

The semi-professional nature of the AFLW means players are given more latitude than their male counterparts to take part in other sports during their off-seasons, with many Irish players returning home for their Gaelic football seasons.

But Ferguson concedes her own concerns about what the incident could mean for the start of the new campaign impacted her almost as much as the injury itself.

"I absolutely loved netball growing up, which is why I think I was still holding onto something I didn't quite want to let go of, but obviously with footy now being a lot more professional, you do have to focus on it," she tells AFL.com.au.

"I was trying to keep the competitive juices flowing in the off-season, and wanted to give back to the local community. My family are heavily involved in the footy-netball club.

"It was a very innocuous incident, my hand just got caught. It could have happened playing footy, even just walking down the street, it was a very little thing.

"In the moment, it was frustration and disappointment in myself, and I felt like I had almost let the team down, to the point where I possibly wasn't quite focusing on what I should have been, in the off-season.

"Speaking to 'Crock' (coach Darren Crocker) and the staff, giving an apology might not have been what I should have been focusing on. I personally think I bounced back pretty quickly."
ImNEka6t.jpg

Jasmine Ferguson kicks the ball during the NAB AFLW Grand Final between North Melbourne and Brisbane on December 3, 2023. Picture: AFL Photos

Having responded well to the setback, Ferguson now has all eyes on Sunday's Grand Final re-match against Brisbane to open the new season.

In last year's decider, North Melbourne looked to be carrying all the momentum into the final term, but Brisbane had other ideas.

After the Kangaroos' best AFLW season to date, they're out to prove it was no fluke, starting with a trip to Brisbane.
https://www.nmfc.com.au/news/1639967/shattering-how-grand-final-heartbreak-is-driving-the-roos
"Revenge, redemption, you can use all different words, but it's definitely forefront of mind," Ferguson says. "We respect Brisbane and we know they're a fantastic outfit. We can't wait, and what better chance to get than the reigning premiers in round one.

"We'd love to get over the top of them, but we want to keep our form from last season as well. We want to keep showing that we can match it with Brisbane, Melbourne and Adelaide, those typical big three, and we want to show that beating Melbourne and Adelaide in the finals wasn't a fluke.

"We want to show we're now considered one of the top teams and we have a really strong core group and we're ready to go. Hopefully we'll tick that box in round one, but hopefully show in those first couple of rounds when we have a few tough matches (Geelong and Melbourne) that we're here to play and we're taking that step forward."

North Melbourne's backline has been hit by injury over pre-season, with Libby Birch (MCL), Eliza Shannon (ankle), Lulu Pullar (calf) and Nicole Bresnehan (hamstring) all affected.
Bresnehan featured in the Roos' thumping practice match win over Greater Western Sydney, while Birch is pushing hard for Week 1 against the Lions.

"It's something as a program we haven't dealt with much in the past, having injuries, and a few long-termish ones in there. We're excited as a group and we've taken it as an opportunity to show the depth we have in our squad," Ferguson said.

"There have been quite a few girls who have sat on the sidelines the last couple of years, solely because the team is hard to get into. Lucy Burke, Ruby Tripodi, there are girls who haven't quite been given the full opportunity to show their skillset."

Ferguson has been added to the Roos' leadership group this year, working with long-term skipper Emma Kearney, Jasmine Garner, Ash Riddell, Kate Shierlaw, Bella Eddey and Birch.
54Ck4rkP.jpg

Bella Eddey, Jasmine Ferguson and Nicole Bresnehan sing the song after North Melbourne's win over Melbourne in the qualifying final on November 12, 2023. Picture: AFL Photos

"In my first couple of seasons, I didn't have too much confidence in myself or my game. So last season was the first time I felt like I could show the leadership qualities I have, because I finally felt confident in my position in the team and the role I was playing," she said.

"I think being the deepest defender helps me provide leadership to others in the backline and the midfield connection as well. It's a real honour to be voted in.

"I want to shout out Nicole Bresnehan and Emma King, who have come out of the leadership group, but I can't speak any more highly of both of them.

"'Flash' (Bresnehan) is someone where I want to find [her style] within myself – she speaks really well, she knows when the team needs a bit of healthy criticism, or when to pump us up as well. I think the leadership she's provided in recent seasons, and will continue to provide, has been massive, and I hope to replicate that in myself as well."
pC0UBd4d.jpg

Ellie Hampson and Jasmine Ferguson in action during the 2023 NAB AFL Grand Final between North Melbourne and Brisbane on December 3, 2023. Picture: AFL Photos

Known as an incredibly strong and dogged lockdown defender, Ferguson has been working on expanding her game in 2024 and it goes hand-in-hand with her increased confidence.

"I want to keep growing my defensive craft, but also the attacking side of it as well. Early seasons, all I was trying to do was not get beaten, that was all I focused on. I didn't really care if I got the ball, I just wanted to stop my opponent," she said.

"Obviously in football, you need to go both ways, and something for us as a team in general is we need to get more efficient in scoring. We're getting it in there enough, we just need to increase that efficiency, whether that's forward entries or just ball movement in general, we need to get the defenders involved.

"If you've got a strong back half attacking game that really feeds into that front half, it allows you to play with a lot of confidence going inside 50."

Will be a fine way to kick off the season by knocking off the Premier's on their home deck
It's time to end the final hoodoo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Herald Sun's Lauren Wood has released the annual top 50 AFLW players for 2024.

And the good news is Jassie is at #1.

The bad news is I'm not a Herald Sun reader so I only have access to the top 10.

AFLW Top 50: Lauren Wood names the best players in the game ahead of season 2024

AFLW Top 50: Lauren Wood names the best players in the game ahead of season 2024​

The AFLW Top 50 is here – ahead of the new season, we rank the competition’s best players. Is Collingwood’s Bri Davey unlucky? And what more does a star Roo have to do? See the full list.
Lauren WoodLauren Wood
@LaurenHeraldSun
less than 2 min read
August 29, 2024 - 2:14PM
News Sport Network
https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/a.../c26868a70b8c4fa53bcbf94ede8cbb83#share-tools

What more does Jasmine Garner have to do?

The North Melbourne superstar has six All-Australian jumpers, four club best-and-fairest awards and some suggest she’s the best player the competition has seen in its short history.

But the true all-rounder is yet to be rewarded with a league best and fairest medal.

Baffling. She’s No. 1.

What it does prove, though, is the depth of talent in the AFLW has never been so good.

Every year, new stars emerge as the next generation of talent looks to take over the competition heading into its ninth season.
North Melbourne Jasmine Garner is Lauren Wood’s No. 1 player in the AFLW. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

North Melbourne Jasmine Garner is Lauren Wood’s No. 1 player in the AFLW. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images
Monique Conti was named the league’s best and fairest last year, and the Tigers gun sits at No. 4 in the Top 50 players for 2024.
Two-premiership Lion Ally Anderson, the league medallist the previous season, is one spot ahead.
But where does Bri Davey sit among the game’s best?

The captain courageous at Collingwood has endured her fair share of injury woes in recent years after sharing the award with Docker star Kiara Bowers in 2021.

A foundation star of the game, Davey does plenty of the hard stuff in the middle – but there’s no place for her in the top 40.

Another clean run and that might all change.

THE TOP 10

1. Jasmine Garner (North Melbourne)
2. Ebony Marinoff (Adelaide)
3. Ally Anderson (Brisbane)
4. Monique Conti (Richmond)
5. Chloe Molloy (Sydney)
6. Kate Hore (Melbourne)
7. Ash Riddell (North Melbourne)
8. Bonnie Toogood (Essendon)
9. Anne Hatchard (Adelaide)
10. Laura Gardiner (Sydney)

STIFF TO MISS

Tilly Lucas-Rodd (Hawthorn)
Aine Tighe (Fremantle)
Emma Swanson (West Coast)
Georgia Patrikios (St Kilda)
Georgia Nanscawen (Essendon)

Incredible determination from Libby to recover so quickly!
I didn’t know before that she is a physio, so that would help too.

Jenna not quite ready yet, which is a shame.

Plenty back, though. Some handy players will miss out on making our R1 team.

Ms Wood's top 50 appeared in the Daily Telegraph (Sydney) paper as well and there were a few other North girls that made that the top 50.

21. Jasmine Ferguson
32. Tahlia Randall
33. Mia King
36. Emma Kearney

Ms Wood's top 50 appeared in the Daily Telegraph (Sydney) paper as well and there were a few other North girls that made that the top 50.

21. Jasmine Ferguson
32. Tahlia Randall
33. Mia King
36. Emma Kearney
I know she’s slowed down a bit but that is under selling Kearney’s influence in my opinion. I reckon she’s still our second most important player. She’s always the one to go harder when things are going against us.

I know she’s slowed down a bit but that is under selling Kearney’s influence in my opinion. I reckon she’s still our second most important player. She’s always the one to go harder when things are going against us.
It’s kind of like the Mike Sheehan one, not sure whether it’s past performance or what they expect this season. Emma was rated above 36th to be in the AA team again at the end of last year. I’d have her a bit higher and squeeze Jenna in - speaking of players who go hard when they need to lift - but I appreciate it’s a tough job.

Apparently there are a lot of midfielder's that just missed AA selection that are better than her. Like Jasmine Ferguson. 😊

It must be a tough job and pretty thankless, but it does create some discussion which is the aim heading into the new season.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back