AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

You’re unnecessarily comparing male reactions to female reactions here, N.

It's also a cliche response from people who don't like soccer - look at those ponces rolling around on the grass after getting a kick to the ankle. These people don't get it because they've never had an ankle injury. It ****ing hurts.

By contrast, an ACL doesn't necessarily hurt. As soon as Rikki's injury happened, I figured it wasn't knee but feared it might be a fracture or dislocation. Looks like she got lucky.

I agree to a point. The standard of umpiring in Men's AFL is a big issue. In AFLW it's enormous. I understand that the umpires seem to be youngsters, many of whom are probably being fast tracked through the system. But there are far too many mistakes, many of which indicate a lack of understanding of the rules. Local footy gets better umpires. The elite women's competition in the country deserves better.

We got a few gifts today, and so did the Swans. It had no impact on the game at all.
Agree but it wasn't lopsided. The amount of vitriol on umpiring screwing us on here is ridiculous

Agree but it wasn't lopsided. The amount of vitriol on umpiring screwing us on here is ridiculous
I can only think in-game anxiety plays a role. 90% of the game-day thread is spread between umpire bashing and complaining about the commentators not fawning over us enough. Sarah Ollie spent the whole game saying how brilliant North is. There’s very little actual football critique, which is a shame. There’s plenty of very knowledgeable people on here. The much maligned Nostradamus is one of the few who confines himself to addressing how our team/players are actually performing - agree with him or not.

I can only think in-game anxiety plays a role. 90% of the game-day thread is spread between umpire bashing and complaining about the commentators not fawning over us enough. Sarah Ollie spent the whole game saying how brilliant North is. There’s very little actual football critique, which is a shame. There’s plenty of very knowledgeable people on here. The much maligned Nostradamus is one of the few who confines himself to addressing how our team/players are actually performing - agree with him or not.

Once the game starts, every player on my team is a champion and every player on the opposition is a cheat. If it's a balanced critique you're looking for, try Margaret Pomeranz.

Has a team ever had so many 'lucky' ~10 goal wins in a season?

Every week all we hear in the first half is how much the opposition is taking it up to us and then in the second half, it's the scoreboard isn't a reflection of how close the game has been.
How good were Sydney though? Brilliant.

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

There were specific terrible non-calls but it was the scragging all game long. They barely caught any of it and it allowed Sydney to slow the game down once they realised a free-flowing, high-scoring game was just going to favour us.

It's great to see her doing so well. I too thought it was because she wanted to play forward and the club wanted her down back, but im not an ITK so what would i know.

But regardless, I wish she was still at North but we still have Vikki and Erika.
And Niamh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney deserve credit for their performance in the first quarter, but when we get space they can't keep up with us.
Its only a little bit of space they need too. They were a class above the Swans today. The Swans busted their arses putting pressure on for as long as they could then ran out of steam and we ran away with the game.

You are 100% wrong as Luke72 will attest. Crock told us he was going to play her forward. It was the major change going into that season. Literally days later, and on the deadline, Hawthorn used the expansion list rules to their advantage and offered her considerably more money to play as well as a job outside of football. She left because it made perfect sense to leave. It had nothing to do with forward line or backline.
This is correct. Crock had big plans around Aileen going forward. I think she must’ve been offered significantly more and the visa she is here on didn’t allow her to work outside of footy. As much as I hated it she really had to leave in the circumstances. I genuinely believe she had no intention to until the last moment.

the htb against wall was insane. had absolutely no prior, then MANAGED TO BREAK OUT OF THE TACKLE AND GET THE HANDBALL AWAY... and it's ball. aw good tackle important tackle good to reward the tackler gee they really needed that one. shut the **** up
That was one of the worst decisions of the day. Even my missus was screaming about that one.

I wish there was a way to become impartial for a game, just to see it from that perspective. I feel like the umpires are ****ing us, but I feel like that every week. Is it true, or is it my North bias? I can't really know.
There were bad decisions both ways but we copped more of them I reckon. Only cos we were so dominant, we constantly had the ball or the advantage or were first there and tackled before we had the ball.

I agree to a point. The standard of umpiring in Men's AFL is a big issue. In AFLW it's enormous. I understand that the umpires seem to be youngsters, many of whom are probably being fast tracked through the system. But there are far too many mistakes, many of which indicate a lack of understanding of the rules. Local footy gets better umpires. The elite women's competition in the country deserves better.

We got a few gifts today, and so did the Swans. It had no impact on the game at all.
Not on the result. We might have won by more with competent umps but they weren't really trying to stop us winning or anything. they were just really bad.

The elite women's competition in the country deserves better.

Agree 110%. I just posted almost exactly the same thing.

Kate Shierlaw was pushed squarely in the back about 15 times. The Swans forwards were a few times as well.

It hurt us alot more cos we brought the ball in to her advantage alot more.

Its not biased, just very bad.

I just want to say the AFLW players are so good. Not only did they look after my youngest two at a mens game, taking them round introducing them to all the AFLW players during the game and generally going out of their way to be supportive and nice, after every game they just go above and beyond with their engagement with the supporters.

Most of them are girls under 10 too at least half of the people after the game were very young - auskick age girls. So they doing an amazing job in growing the women's game.

They don't just sign stuff, they take the time to talk to the kids and engage them with what they're into as well as just footy.

I'm sure winning makes it easy but I still can't speak highly enough of the effort they put in.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back