AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to be clearer - the VFL squad has the overflow senior players in it. Success of that side bodes well for the AFL side.

If the W equivalents are running separate lists then the VFLW success is nice but has no carryover to AFLW besides morale and the club maybe enhancing it's overall intel.

Kinda whack that they don't run VFLW and AFLW concurrently so they can mirror the men's pathway. Maybe there's a good reason.

It's also kinda whack that the AFL, in their infinite wisdom, priced pioneering women's football clubs such as the Melbourne University Mugars out of the VFLW by demanding ridiculously high licence fees. Given that there is very limited carry over value for AFLW teams to have a VFLW team as you say, then the decent and honourable thing would have been for the AFL to keep their greedy bean-counting paws away from the top state level women's football league and encourage AFLW teams to affiliate with heritage teams who have been doing the hard yards long before the AFL paid any attention.

Just to be clearer - the VFL squad has the overflow senior players in it. Success of that side bodes well for the AFL side.

If the W equivalents are running separate lists then the VFLW success is nice but has no carryover to AFLW besides morale and the club maybe enhancing it's overall intel.

Kinda whack that they don't run VFLW and AFLW concurrently so they can mirror the men's pathway. Maybe there's a good reason.
The AFL feels that the AFLW needs its own space away from the men's game to get the necessary media coverage and fan support to build the league and they feel that playing their season between September and December is the best period in the calendar to achieve that. I'm not entirely convinced because when the weather warms up, people traditionally think of and play cricket and the WBBL, which is outperforming the AFLW, is a better product at the moment.

I think the AFL should be following what the NRL did with the NRLW competition, playing the women's concurrently with the men's and having both Grand Finals played on the same day, it has been a real success for the NRLW, but I'm not sure it's entirely feasible having the VFLW, VFL and the AFLW all playing on the same weekend along with all the junior sports. Perhaps they can combine the fixtures and have triple headers like the good old days of the VFL. :)

Last edited:
The AFL feels that the AFLW needs its own space away from the men's game to get the necessary media coverage and fan support to build the league and they feel that playing their season between September and December is the best period in the calendar to achieve that. I'm not entirely convinced because when the weather warms up, people traditionally think of and play cricket and the WBBL, which is outperforming the AFLW, is a better product at the moment.

I think the AFL should be following what the NRL did with the NRLW competition, playing the women's concurrently with the men's and having both Grand Finals played on the same day, it has been a real success for the NRLW, but I'm not sure it's entirely feasible having the VFLW, VFL and the AFLW all playing on the same weekend along with all the junior sports. Perhaps they can combine the fixtures and have triple headers like the good old days of the VFL. :)
Both of those leagues bring in a fraction of the attendance, membership, sponsorship and overall revenue of AFLW. Despite the AFL admin's flaws, we can be glad they won't be looking to emulate those other competitions which are run with even less competence.

The WBBL is being shortened, and still won't have proper television coverage for all its games. NRLW with only 10 teams (none in the country's biggest market) is already rife with Saturday 11am and Sunday 6pm games in winter... Dire stuff.

Both of those leagues bring in a fraction of the attendance, membership, sponsorship and overall revenue of AFLW. Despite the AFL admin's flaws, we can be glad they won't be looking to emulate those other competitions which are run with even less competence.

The WBBL is being shortened, and still won't have proper television coverage for all its games. NRLW with only 10 teams (none in the country's biggest market) is already rife with Saturday 11am and Sunday 6pm games in winter... Dire stuff.

I would have thought AFLW is closing in on being bigger in attendance, membership, sponsorship and overall revenue than most men's professional sports leagues in this country.

Memberships are a relatively new thing in the NRL, I think they only came into the league over the last 15-20 years, so I don't expect them to be as high as the AFL or AFLW numbers, attendances are traditionally lower in the NRL and NRLW, and I don't think the WBBL record attendance numbers, I haven't been able to find any details. I noticed you made no mention of TV ratings where I think the NRLW is comfortably ahead of the AFLW, and I don't know enough about sponsorships and revenue to comment, but I would think that because the NRLW has the State Of Origin (which is now a three game series like the men's) and International Test matches and Cricket has the Women's Internationals and World Cups they don't have to put all their eggs into the one basket, whereas the AFL have only one product in the women's space to sell.

Anyway, I wasn't talking about attendance, membership, sponsorship or money, I was explaining why I believe the AFLW and VFLW seasons don't line up and why I think the NRL is doing a little better with their women's competition.

Last edited:
Memberships are a relatively new thing in the NRL, I think they only came into the league over the last 15-20 years, so I don't expect them to be as high as the AFL or AFLW numbers, attendances are traditionally lower in the NRL and NRLW, and I don't think the WBBL record attendance numbers, I haven't been able to find any details. I noticed you made no mention of TV ratings where I think the NRLW is comfortably ahead of the AFLW, and I don't know enough about sponsorships and revenue to comment, but I would think that because the NRLW has the State Of Origin (which is now a three game series like the men's) and International Test matches and Cricket has the Women's Internationals and World Cups they don't have to put all their eggs into the one basket, whereas the AFL have only one product in the women's space to sell.

Anyway, I wasn't talking about attendance, membership, sponsorship or money, I was explaining why I believe the AFLW and VFLW seasons don't line up and why I think the NRL has done well with their women's competition.
The AFLW season is played in its current slot because it's the most financially viable option. Therefore it's not reasonable to exclude attendance, membership, sponsorship and overall revenue from the equation, nor from any assessment of how other leagues are run.

Attendance figures for the WBBL are recorded (less than 80k spectators for the last 56-match regular season, and that's by counting twice for double-headers), but CA chooses not to publish them for individual matches.

TV ratings don't translate into lucrative broadcast deals for women's sport (Ch7 bought the 2023 FIFA Women's WC rights for $5m, even though the whole industry knew it would massively out-rate the 2022 men's WC which SBS bought for $20m). So while it sounds nice for average NRLW ratings to be on par with the AFLW's figures when it was still a 10-team ~40-game competition, it doesn't amount to much in terms of money.

AFLW annual ticket sales have gone from $0 to $6m in the space of a few years, giving the AFL confidence to spend 4x on salaries of what the NRL does for its women's league (revenue for which is growing much slower, partly because the scheduling is so poor).

From a spectators view I really enjoyed the AFLW summer seasons.
Problem being it was never confined to summer, thus the most important part of the season was always impacted by H&A men's matches. Bulldogs GF vs Brisbane in March 2018 drew 7k to Ikon Park (free entry); our GF vs Brisbane in December 2023 sold out all 13k tickets ($20 adults, $10 concession) in a matter of hours. Says a bit.

Even the 2019 GF, which got a full house at AO (albeit free entry), had to share the spotlight with a NM men's match.

The AFLW season is played in its current slot because it's the most financially viable option. Therefore it's not reasonable to exclude attendance, membership, sponsorship and overall revenue from the equation, nor from any assessment of how other leagues are run.

Attendance figures for the WBBL are recorded (less than 80k spectators for the last 56-match regular season, and that's by counting twice for double-headers), but CA chooses not to publish them for individual matches.

TV ratings don't translate into lucrative broadcast deals for women's sport (Ch7 bought the 2023 FIFA Women's WC rights for $5m, even though the whole industry knew it would massively out-rate the 2022 men's WC which SBS bought for $20m). So while it sounds nice for average NRLW ratings to be on par with the AFLW's figures when it was still a 10-team ~40-game competition, it doesn't amount to much in terms of money.

AFLW annual ticket sales have gone from $0 to $6m in the space of a few years, giving the AFL confidence to spend 4x on salaries of what the NRL does for its women's league (revenue for which is growing much slower, partly because the scheduling is so poor).
So, what you are saying is the AFL don't care about the quality of women's game only that it is making money. :(

So, what you are saying is the AFL don't care about the quality of women's game only that it is making money. :(
To a degree (less so "making money" and more "showing signs of encouraging revenue growth"), but at the same time player salaries have sky rocketed which is the surest way to improve the objective quality.

Does anyone know whether Vicki Wall is training?
Looks like she's going to attend the Olympics (as a spectator) and then make her way over here after that.

Good luck to our girls this afternoon.

PLAYER PROFILES: 2024 rebel VFLW Grand Final

NORTH MELBOURNE​

2. TAHLIA MEIER
VFLW: Career matches/goals 42/10; Season matches/goals 16/8

A speedy midfielder/forward who has enjoyed a fruitful first season at North Melbourne, playing every game after an impressive 29-game stint at the Bulldogs that peaked with a sixth placing in the 2023 Lambert-Pearce Medal. Registered 16 disposals and kicked two goals in the Round 1 win over the Dogs but can impact a game with fewer numbers than that.

4. AUDREY RHODES

VFLW: Career matches/goals 38/17; Season matches/goals 16/6; North Melbourne best and fairest 2023; VFLW Team of the Year 2023
The nuggety midfielder has been a star since joining from VAFA powerhouse Old Xaverians in 2022. The reigning club best and fairest has missed just one game in two seasons, averaging 16 disposals in 2024 while leading the league for tackles with 160, including a remarkable 15 in each final so far. Will be involved in everything within the engine room for the Kangaroos.

5. ELISHA KING
VFLW: Career matches/goals 16/4; Season matches/goals 5/1

AFLW matches/goals: North Melbourne 10/3
Former AFLW Kangaroo who returned late in the season from an ACL injury to provide Brett Gourley’s team with a valuable marking option at both ends of the ground. Has not had a huge impact since returning but is the type of player that can explode if she is not diligently watched.

7. BROOKE SLANEY
VFLW: Career matches/goals 39/5; Season matches/goals 10/0

Medium defender/midfielder who missed the first chunk of the season with a wrist injury. Not a high accumulator, averaging seven disposals per game and registering just one in the second semi-final against Williamstown. The only player in the team who has been with North Melbourne since they entered the VFLW competition in 2021.

8. JENNIFER GUY
VFLW: Career matches/goals 26/4; Season matches/goals 7/2

A midfielder from Launceston in the Tasmanian State League. Returned late in the season from a serious hip injury after an ACL tear caused her to miss all bar three games in 2023. Looks to be fit and firing now and will be a smoky for the Lisa Hardeman Medal if she puts her best foot forward on the day.

9. GEORGIA NICHOLAS
VFLW: Career matches/goals 32/7; Season matches/goals 8/2

Another of the Kangaroos’ Apple Isle cohort out of the Old Scotch Collegians in the Northern Tasmania league, Nicholas is a dangerous forward/midfielder who doesn’t need much of the footy to hurt the opposition. Has goaled in both finals for the Roos and has a mercurial streak to fear.

10. MATILDA ZANDER
VFLW: Career matches/goals 61/26; Season matches/goals 15/4; Collingwood best and fairest 2022; VFLW Team of the Year 2021, 2022

Dual VFLW Team of the Year member and a stalwart of the VFLW after crossing from SANFLW club Norwood post COVID. Has missed only one game in her first season at North after crossing from Collingwood where she won the best and fairest and finished third in the Lambert-Pearce Medal in 2022 before playing in the losing Grand Final last year. One of six North players with VFLW Grand Final experience, which will be crucial.

12. MADDIE DI COSMO
VFLW: Career matches/goals 45/8; Season matches/goals 16/3; Carlton best and fairest 2023; VFLW Team of the Year 2023

A stud ball-winner who crossed to North Melbourne this season as Carlton’s reigning best and fairest. Has averaged 18 disposals and eight tackles while playing every game this season, with a best of 29 in the thumping win over Essendon in the elimination final. One of the Kangaroos’ leading forces in the midfield who might well force her way onto an AFLW list with a big showing in the big game.

16. ZARA FLANIGAN
VFLW: Career matches/goals 27/8; Season matches/goals 16/3

A utility plucked by the Roos out of the Northern Knights in the Coates Talent League, Flanigan has quietly gone about her business in the blue and white this season. Has played every game and almost every position, averaging 8.5 disposals, 3.6 tackles and six hitouts.

17. JESS JONES (c)
VFLW: Career matches/goals 41/1; Season matches/goals 15/0

The co-captain had to shoulder the load in the ruck in the past couple of seasons but has settled into the backline this year with the arrivals of Kate Reynolds and fellow co-captain Sarah King. That’s where Jones will get the job of stopping either of the Bulldogs’ main attacking threats Mia-Rae Clifford or Mary Sandral. Was on Carlton’s AFLW list in season seven but didn’t play a game. Has indicated this could be her final VFLW game before retirement.

19. ELISABETH JACKSON
VFLW: Career matches/goals 51/5; Season matches/goals 16/0

One of many who flew the coop from Collingwood in the off-season and landed at Arden Street. Easy to spot on the wing with her shock of red hair, Jackson has averaged 13 disposals while playing every game for the Roos this season. One of the Magpies’ best in the decider last year but returns to the big game for the Shinboners with unfinished business. Was runner-up to Zander in Collingwood’s 2022 best and fairest.

21. EMILY PATERNO
VFLW: Career matches/goals 65/39; Season matches/goals 16/12

The high-flying forward returned to North in 2023 after spending 2022 with Hillside in the Essendon District league. Has kicked five goals in the two meetings with the Bulldogs, including three in the Round 14 loss, but is yet to fire a shot in the finals. No doubt one of the players that has kept Bulldogs coach Rhys Cahir up at night this week.

22. MARA McSWEENEY
VFLW: Career matches/goals 33/0; Season matches/goals 15/0

Unheralded defender who has been handed some tough jobs down back for the Roos this season. Played seven games for the Western Bulldogs in 2022 before heading to Arden Street, having originally been recruited from the mighty West Brunswick in the VAFA.

24. AMANDA LING
VFLW: Career matches/goals 37/2; Season matches/goals 14/1
AFLW matches/goals: Western Bulldogs 2/0

Former Western Bulldogs AFLW player who joined the Roos in 2024 after playing every game for the Dogs at VFLW level in 2023. Has been playing in the backline this season and will likely go to one of the Bulldogs’ small forwards, likely Tallia Pulcino. Was best on ground in the Oakleigh Chargers’ premiership in 2022, so does bring big game pedigree.

26. ALANA BARBA

VFLW: Career matches/goals 51/20; Season matches/goals 16/8; Essendon Premiership 2022, Lisa Hardeman medallist; VFLW Team of the Year 2021
AFLW matches/goals: Gold Coast 2/0; Essendon 10/0
A freak of a midfielder who has proven again this season that she is AFLW standard, averaging 18 disposals and seven tackles in all 16 games for the Roos. Was best on ground in Essendon’s breakthrough VFLW premiership in 2022 and it’s not hyperbole to say if she repeats that then North Melbourne will win. Kicked one of the all-time great VFLW goals in the semi-final against Williamstown to stamp North’s spot in the decider.

27. PAIGE RYAN
VFLW: Career matches/goals 12/1; Season matches/goals 7/0

North Melbourne’s only teenager is set to line-up in the Grand Final having played an important role this season as a winger/high half-forward. The decider will be her eighth game of season after earning a debut in 2023 for the Western Bulldogs. A premiership player in the Coates Talent League with the Western Jets.

30. NIC HALES
VFLW: Career matches/goals 93/3; Season matches/goals 15/0; Collingwood Premiership 2019

Super experienced half-back flanker who has missed just one game in her first season at Arden St after joining from Collingwood. Set to line up in her third VFLW Grand Final after tasting both extremes of the emotional spectrum with Collingwood in 2019 (win) and 2023 (loss). One of the best ball users in the team.

34. RENEE TIERNEY
VFLW: Career matches/goals 37/29; Season matches/goals 16/8; Essendon Premiership 2022; VFLW Team of the Year 2022
AFLW matches/goals: Essendon 4/1

A former Essendon AFLW player who has changed her role under Brett Gourley from a marking forward to ball-winning mid, averaging 16.5 disposals. A premiership teammate of Alana Barba at Essendon in 2022 and also played in two Grand Finals in the Coates Talent League with the Geelong Falcons, one as a 15-year-old. Multi-faceted game-breaker who will have her say at some stage.

38. MARY DAW
VFLW: Career matches/goals 5/0; Season matches/goals 5/0

The sister of former North Melbourne and Melbourne player Majak Daw, Mary forced her way into the team in Round 12 and has kept her spot, impressing with her composure and class in the backline. Has a premiership medal for Point Cook in the Western league in 2022 and there will no doubt be many friends and relatives in attendance on Sunday hoping she can do the same in the state league.

40. NYAKOAT DOJIOK
VFLW: Career matches/goals 40/53; Season matches/goals 15/28; VFLW Team of the Year 2023

The electric one they call “Nike” finished third in the Rohenna Young Medal for the league’s leading goalkicker, booting 22 goals in 13 games. Failed to have an impact in the Grand Final last year for Collingwood, something she likely mulled over during the off-season and again this week. Kicked three goals from 20 disposals in North’s round 14 loss to the Dogs and if Caitlin Pickett or Tamsin Crook can’t shut her down, the Bulldogs will be in a world of hurt.

44. KATE REYNOLDS
VFLW: Career matches/goals 11/0; Season matches/goals 11/0
AFLW matches/goals: Sydney 2/0

Reynolds has had a great start to life as a VFLW footballer since being delisted by AFLW team Sydney, averaging 38 hitouts in 11 games. Served a four-match suspension following the Round 1 clash between these teams and didn’t play in Round 14, so she will be desperate to stamp her authority on the Grand Final. Her clash against Bulldog young gun Keeley Hardingham shapes as the vital match-up of the game. Coming off a season-high 53 hitouts against Williamstown in the second semi-final.

EMERGENCIES

1. FELICITY THEODORE
VFLW: Career matches/goals: 27/9; Season matches/goals 4/1

Lost her spot this season after Round 5 and a stint in concussion protocols at Hillside just before the finals hampered her efforts to break back into the team. Could bob up for a goal at an important time if she gets the chance.

13. SARAH HOSKING
VFLW: Career matches/goals 29/3; Season matches/goals 9/2

A midfielder who played all bar one game for the Magpies last year but was quiet in the Grand Final, amassing just five disposals. Averaged 6.3 disposals and four tackles in nine games this season but hasn’t featured since the Round 11 win over Darebin.

18. TRICIA COWAN
VFLW: Career matches/goals 37/3; Season matches/goals 8/0

Yet another former Magpie who crossed to North this season after playing in Collingwood’s losing Grand Final. Midfielder from the Oakleigh Chargers via Blackburn who hasn’t pulled on the guernsey since the round 13 win over Box Hill Hawks. Missed time dealing with concussion issues this season.

20. KIARA DELIA
VFLW: Career matches/goals 17/1; Season matches/goals 3/0

The Calder Cannons and Greenvale product impressed with her determination and marking ability. Hasn’t played since the Round 10 win against Collingwood, struggling to get past Dojiok and Paterno in the pecking order.

23. ANNABEL SCOTT
VFLW: Career matches/goals 71/12; Season matches/goals 5/0

Another former Bulldog who has played some great footy for North in her three seasons at Arden Street, finishing top three in the best and fairest in 2022 and 2023. Was unluckily dropped after the Round 14 loss to the Bulldogs and the fact she’s in the emergencies speaks to the depth at North Melbourne this season.

28. MARGUERITE PURCELL
VFLW: Career matches/goals 18/1; Season matches/goals 2/0

And another former Western Bulldog VFLW player, Purcell has played just two games this season and hasn’t appeared since the loss to Williamstown in Round 8.

46. SARAH KING (C)
VFLW: Career matches/goals 71/8; Season matches/goals 7/0

The inspirational ruck jumped from Victoria Park to Arden St this season and was immediately awarded with the co-captaincy, speaking volumes of her leadership and character. Was omitted after the Round 14 loss to the Dogs and hasn’t been able to force her way back in, which is a shame for one of the great VFLW rucks of the post-COVID era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back