AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Why isn't Dojiok on an AFLW list? She's tall, mobile, is a strong mark and good kick at goal. Surely other clubs are looking at her.

Can we get her into our AFL mens list? She'd fit in great next to Larkey.

I'm really happy for Elisha King, to go through 3 ACL's in three years she must have felt getting back to any level of football would be near impossible, but to make it back to the VFLW and to play a pivotal role in the fourth quarter of the Grand Final must be very gratifying. I'm not sure if she will make it back onto an AFLW list, but I hope she enjoys today, it's great to see her back in Royal Blue and White.

Also, our Captain, Jess Jones played her final game, great to see her go out a winner.

Was so good watching on tv….crowd looked and sounded fantastic.
B*## good day to be a roo supporter.
Congratulations to a magnificent team of brilliant footballers. 💙🤍🍺👏

LISA HARDEMAN MEDAL VOTING​

Jennie Loughnan (AFL Head of State League)
3 - Nyakoat Dojiok (NM)
2 - Audrey Rhodes (NM)
1 - Dom Carbone (WB)

Gemma Bastiani (AFL Media/State of Play host)
3 - Alana Barba (NM)
2 - Maddie Di Cosmo (NM)
1 - Nyakoat Dojiok (NM)

Sean Buncle (Port Melbourne VFLW coach)
3 - Nyakoat Dojiok (NM)
2 - Audrey Rhodes (NM)
1 - Alana Barba (NM)

Kate McCarthy (Channel 7)
3 - Audrey Rhodes (NM)
2 - Nyakoat Dojiok (NM)
1 - Dom Carbone (WB)

Total
9 - Nyakoat Dojiok (NM)
7 - Audrey Rhodes (NM)
4 - Alana Barba (NM)
2 - Dom Carbone (WB)
2 - Maddie Di Cosmo (NM)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burch has done her MCL and will miss the next six weeks. :(

Libby Birch: Injury blow for prized recruit

Libby Birch: Injury blow for prized recruit​

Scans have confirmed a knee injury for Kangaroos defender Libby Birch
By NMFC Media
Just now
DSC00695-1.jpg

Scans have confirmed a left MCL injury for North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos prized trade recruit Libby Birch.
The experienced defender sustained the injury at training on Tuesday morning.
"This is obviously disappointing news for Libby, especially so close to the start of the AFLW season," North Melbourne general manager of women’s football Erin Lorenzini said.
"A two-time All-Australian defender, Libby was an important addition for us during last year’s trade period and has already made an impact both on and off the field over the pre-season.
"She is expected to be sidelined for at least six weeks, but we will have a better understanding of her return to play timeline as we monitor her rehab progress."
Birch, 26, began her AFLW career at the Western Bulldogs, where she played all 22 games across three seasons and won a premiership alongside her now-Roo teammates Emma Kearney, Jenna Bruton and Kim Rennie in 2018.
She joined Melbourne during the 2019 trade period, going on to play a further 55 games and win a second AFLW premiership in 2022 before arriving at Arden Street last December.

Horrible luck, but i suppose it's better than an ACL, do these need surgery or just rest ?

Best wishes to her whatever the outcome

Depends on the severity. It sounds like it's at least grade 2 (partial tear) as a grade 1 MCL (which is more of a sprain) is usually much less than 6 weeks. I think surgery is more likely for grade 3 (full tear) and even then, not all cases are surgical.

The return of Wall's closing in, though her ambition knows no bounds.

VIKKI WALL HAS confirmed that she will return to North Melbourne for the 2024 AFLW season before resuming her Ireland Rugby Sevens career later this year.
“North Melbourne were so good to me. I’m going back now in mid-August, back over to North Melbourne for my second year of contract and then I’ll be back in December to Rugby Sevens.”
“A lot of the [AFLW] girls reached out when the Olympics didn’t go your way so it’s nice to know that I have them back in my corner as well. I’ll hopefully be able to go back and contribute to North Melbourne in a positive way.”

The multi-talented Vikki Wall has confirmed that she will return to Melbourne in the coming weeks to resume her Aussie Rules career, but she has not given up on her time in the Ireland Sevens programme, despite the crushing disappointment of missing out on the Olympics.
“I am still contracted (to the IRFU) but I am actually going to go back to Australia to do season nine and then I will be back in with the Sevens programme in December,” Wall told the Irish Independent.

“I am heading over in mid-August, back to North Melbourne.

“I really, really enjoyed it and obviously I had planned to go back last year before rugby became an option, so I’m really looking forward to getting back to it, to be honest.

“I think when you’re not involved in something it gives you a bit more perspective, and I suppose a bit more appreciation for it.”

A nice little story on Nicole Bresnehan

From the pool to Arden Street: How Roo overcame her fears

From the pool to Arden Street: How Roo overcame her fears​

Initially hesitant to try her hand at football after stepping away from swimming, Nicole Bresnehan became hooked after her first footy training session
By Gemma Bastiani
2 hrs ago
n9hz2hjB.jpg

Nicole Bresnehan during North Melbourne's 2023 team photo day at Arden Street. Picture: AFL Photos

NICOLE Bresnehan's AFLW journey has been a unique one.
North Melbourne's vice-captain, who has played 49 career games including last year's Grand Final, didn't pick up a footy until she was 19 years old, and only found out she had been drafted after congratulatory messages started rolling in.
"It's actually quite funny when I look back and think that was my draft experience," Bresnehan said on The Heart of It podcast.
"I remember watching (the draft) at work, and there were a few other things going on, so I wasn't watching it completely, pick for pick. But then I got this message on my phone that said, 'Congratulations' and I thought shit, what's happened here?"
The truth was, Bresnehan wasn't even planning on nominating for that 2018 draft. But a simple comment from an opposition coach, Craig Grace, in the lead up to the Tasmania State League Women's (TSLW) Grand Final that same year planted the seed.
"We had a presser at Blundstone (Arena) … I just remember standing there having a chat with him as well and that's when he said, 'Are you going to put your name in?'" Bresnehan said.
It was a turning point, despite Bresnehan still being very early in her footy life.

Growing up as a swimmer, her competitive nature was satisfied in the individual sport. With butterfly her speciality, she spent time travelling the country as part of Tasmania's state squad.
Close in age to Olympic gold medallist Ariarne Titmus, she often found herself going head-to-head with the champion as a junior.
"I don't know whether I should call that as a claim to fame," Bresnehan laughed.
"She's an incredible athlete, and incredible person to watch, and just hearing her story as well. I mean, growing up (in the) small town of Launceston and where she is today is just so incredible.
"Having someone like her, racing against her at the time, she wasn't a crazy big name so to see everything she's put in from then until now. She hasn't got there on sheer talent; she got her own determination and work ethic and that's pretty incredible to see."
9JTIm5BS.jpg

Nicole Bresnehan and Jack Riewoldt with Brooke Barwick (17, Tassie Devils) and Elliot Lethborg (11, North Hobart) during the AFL Tasmanian team announcement on May 3, 2023. Picture: AFL Photos

In her late teens, swimming stopped hitting the spot for Bresnehan, which meant a brief step away from all sport. That was until a friend asked her to come down to Clarence for some training sessions.
"My first initial reaction was 'Hell no'," Bresnehan said of being invited to train.
"I don't know how to play, and that was really scary for me. I think as an athlete or someone that is competitive, you don't really like failure or not being the best at something … I knew I'd be going into that environment, and I definitely wouldn't know really what to do and that scared me."
wAJEewoR.jpg

Nicole Bresnehan warms up ahead of round four, 2023. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images

Eventually, she agreed to give it a crack, and that first experience of tackling had her hooked. And while there aren't a whole lot of transferrable skills between swimming and footy, Bresnehan's endurance stood out, and remains a key brand of her game today.
That was 2016, and with AFLW launching the following year there was finally a big goal to strive for in footy. It didn't take long for Bresnehan to go from learning the game in her late teens, to striving to be drafted.
Extra skills sessions with her dad were key to her development.
"Dad was always a yes. Every time I asked to go for a kick, I don't think he's ever said no. He could be sick, not feeling like it, raining, he always said yes," Bresnehan said.
All that work was rewarded in October of 2018 when North Melbourne drafted her with pick No.63.
KfqzTmUm.jpg

Nicole Bresnehan in action during the match between North Melbourne and Brisbane at UTAS Stadium in round four, 2023. Picture: Getty Images

She has since become an important part of the ever-challenging Roos side, while also working for AFL Tasmania in the talent pathways program ahead of her home state's entry to the AFL in 2028.
"Being involved in the junior pathway in the state, seeing what (getting a team) means to those young boys and girls is just amazing," Bresnehan said.
"We've seen levels of participation numbers skyrocket since the announcement of the team … I think we can already see what it's done for the state."

I do hope she remains a one club player. :)

Does anyone recommend any AFLW podcasts that cover the actual football? My go to - This AFL Life - stopped a couple of years ago. I miss it and am looking for something similar. Don't mind a little bit of personality stuff, but looking for the hard nosed analysis. Nothing from afl.com.au, am looking for something more independent. Thanks!

The return of Wall's closing in, though her ambition knows no bounds.

She'll be coming from a long way back and will have to really fight for a spot in the team this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back