AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

They’ve spent the entire half ramming home the fact it’s going to be an issue for us to play wet weather footy… as we move in to spring. This entire commentary team couldn’t make it any more obvious they don’t want us winning the flag
yep you would think by their commentary that finals are now played in winter

think someone needs to remind them finals are in summer and that we pumped the lions side that apparently can play messy lol

we were in cruise control after doing the hard work before the rain and we come off with no injuries

the undefeated season continues

They’ve spent the entire half ramming home the fact it’s going to be an issue for us to play wet weather footy… as we move in to spring. This entire commentary team couldn’t make it any more obvious they don’t want us winning the flag

I don't think they care if we win, they just think it is a hot take. Despite being shizenhousen in the second half, we only conceded one goal and that goal was because Kearney missed a 20m short pass by 10m.

So sick of these commentators, constantly talking down North, we’ve done what we needed to do under sh1t conditions and we move on.

Also (and not specifically referring to tonight considering conditions), but what has happened to Emma King? She has been invisible this season…

Disappointing the second half was so fumbly, but the commentators were making it sound like a win for Port. Winning the second half by a goal when you are down by six goals is not a triumph.

North beat the tackle record for AFLW, by a lot, would have been worth mentioning.
Probably more important they reiterate Port outscored us 6-1 in the second half despite also being demolished in forward half possessions and time in forward half, as well as flooding their players back to create a rolling maul.

Looking forward to seeing how that Port game style, relying entirely on torrential cyclonic conditions, holds up in finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think they care if we win, they just think it is a hot take. Despite being shizenhousen in the second half, we only conceded one goal and that goal was because Kearney missed a 20m short pass by 10m.
Believe me there are a lot involved in the womens game who don’t want us winning. There’s a lot of jealousy about how well we done poaching and keeping our talent.

Commentary team checklist:

1. Talk at length about Emma King without realising that the camera was focused on Kim Rennie for a bloody age
2. Mistake O’Shea for Gatt
3. Spend a decent amount of time trying to get O’Loughlin suspended without once mentioning that the umpires judged it a legal tackle and paid the free to Alice accordingly.
4. Talk up Port to the extent that you might be forgiven for forgetting that they had just the 1 scoring shot.

By the sounds of it I didn't miss much with the commentary on mute. Did the damage early and put our feet up. Great stuff girls!

Unfortunately, there was some truth to the commentary, we look like a third-rate team who can be beaten by a bottom four team like Port when the ball gets a little water on it.

Also, the Umpires were handing out free kicks like they were candy in the first half, and in some instances for the most benign infringement, but in the second half they all but threw the whistle away and let players hold on, drop the ball when tackled or tackling high, it was closer to a rugby match than an AFLW match and that should be on the umpires for not officiating properly.

Last edited:
Commentary team checklist:

1. Talk at length about Emma King without realising that the camera was focused on Kim Rennie for a bloody age
2. Mistake O’Shea for Gatt
3. Spend a decent amount of time trying to get O’Loughlin suspended without once mentioning that the umpires judged it a legal tackle and paid the free to Alice accordingly.
4. Talk up Port to the extent that you might be forgiven for forgetting that they had just the 1 scoring shot.
Yep let females commentate but only if they’re worthy.
It was boys club 101 - year when I play with Emma king at the pies and I also played With oday
Poort must of thumped us by that spew feast

Meanwhile a more sensible summary from Marnie Vinall at the Age:

Kangaroos win (comfortably)
North Melbourne have reaffirmed their status as the team to beat this season with a 36-point thrashing of Port Adelaide at Whitten Oval in wet conditions on Friday night.

While a dominant display and finishing scoreline, they weren’t able to keep up their scoreboard pressure when the downpour came hard.

On the flip side, they’d be reason for concern at the Power, who’ve managed just the one win this season out of four matches. That victory was in round two against the winless Western Bulldogs by 40 points.

Against the Kangaroos, they scored just the one goal, through Julia Teakle in the third quarter.

I also liked "Jenna Bruton played a lot of her footy with the Bulldogs"... yeah, a massive 8 games.

On the plus side, Chyloe is such an airhead that she failed to conjure the name Emma Kearney (or Libby Birch, Kim Rennie, etc.) when trying to reel off other players who couldn't wait to leave that shit heap of a club.

I think the frustration at the commentary also stems from the fact that we endure turgid negativity from the commentary watching our AFLM team. We have an AFLW team that is successful and a contender & all we hear is how well the opposition is playing regardless of the scoreboard telling a different story.

Their narrative does not match our mood & it detracts from the enjoyment of watching the game.

I think the frustration at the commentary also stems from the fact that we endure turgid negativity from the commentary watching our AFLM team. We have an AFLW team that is successful and a contender & all we hear is how well the opposition is playing regardless of the scoreboard telling a different story.

Their narrative does not match our mood & it detracts from the enjoyment of watching the game.
It's not an isolated incident either.
We have been rogering teams by 30+ in the past and you'd still think we hadn't scored a goal based on the commentary

And btw, it was one member of the commentary team drumming their hot take into everybody else's head.

Chyloe: "North in the wet are a concern" (because it was bone dry in the 1st half, remember...)
Ruby: "They will eventually work it out"
Chyloe: "So you agree, it's a real concern for this so-called premership contender????"
Ruby: "...no, they'll adapt when they really need to"
Chyloe: "BUT BRISBANE"

Like, ok, you've never heard of the saying "cue in the rack". But we heard you the first 800 times.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back