AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Evening on a rainy Wednesday is such a dumb time for a game.

AFL is absolutely doing AFLW no favours as they try and grow this league.
Actions outrank the words eh?

They can spout all the supportive comments and feel good campaigns they like.

But the disdain shown towards the AFLW fixture each year reveals their true feelings.

That's before even thinking about the inequities which make the AFL fixture look like it was written up in Geneva.

Tonight could be an interesting game to watch for any adjustments to the style of play. Going in with one less tall makes sense given the rain plus it allows us to rest a 35 yr old key forward. Resting Bruton also makes a lot of sense given the injury that she has just returned from.

As for the 'North don't play well in the wet' thing it seems to be a tag that has been hastily attached, which is fairly standard practice for the modern footy media. When we played Geelong one of the main things I noticed being there was the amount of pressure that Geelong applied. They did a great job of pressuring both the player with the ball as well as the likely next link in the chain. If anything I felt that we were fortunate to be 18 pts ahead at half time. But if you just looked at the scoreboard you might think we played well in the 1st half and then played badly in the 2nd when it was wet. Our skills were a bit off for most of the game, not just when it rained. But, we did persist with short passes and risky kicks into the corridor when we could of gone more direct using our tall targets and then tried to lock the ball in our forward line using O'Loughlin, Bruton, Wall and Eddey etc.

If it is wet tonight you think it would suit players like Wall, Martin, Eddie and O'Loughlin. I've been really impressed with O'Loughlin this year. Feels like she really took a step forward during last years finals series and has just continued on with that level of performance this season.

If anyone has seen Shierlaw attempt to kick the ball off the ground then we have possibly been robbed of some funny moments (think Bambi on the ice).

Last edited:
Tonight could be an interesting game to watch for any adjustments to the style of play. Going in with one less tall makes sense given the rain plus it allows us to rest a 35 yr old key forward. Resting Bruton also makes a lot of sense given the injury that she has just returned from.
As for the 'North don't play well in the wet' thing it seems to be a tag that has been hastily attached, which is fairly standard practice for the modern footy media. When we played Geelong one of the main things I noticed being there was the amount of pressure that Geelong applied. They did a great job of pressuring both the player with the ball as well as the likely next link in the chain. If anything I felt that we were fortunate to be 18 pts ahead at half time. But if you just looked at the scoreboard you might think we played well in the 1st half and then played badly in the 2nd when it was wet. Our skills were a bit off for most of the game, not just when it rained. But, we did persist with short passes and risky kicks into the corridor when we could of gone more direct using our tall targets and then tried to lock the ball in our forward line using O'Loughlin, Bruton, Wall and Eddey etc.
If it is wet tonight you think it would suit players like Wall, Martin, Eddie and O'Loughlin. I've been really impressed with O'Loughlin this year. Feels like she really took a step forward during last years finals series and has just continued on with that level of performance this season.
If anyone has seen Shierlaw attempt to kick the ball off the ground then we have possibly been robbed of some funny moments (think Bambi on the ice).
Agree. Big surprise there was an overreaction last week - in the second half the conditions were so horrible it was very hard to score, which is why only one fluke goal was kicked in the whole half. Commentators made it sound like North were completely outplayed because it rained.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back