AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

The commentators basically ignored the goalless score line.

Have we kept a team goalless before? Is this a common occurrence in AFLW? Or are all north Melbourne teams considered irrelevant by the media regardless of how we play?
Scoreless in the second half too.

Had to double check that as it was not how I remembered the game.

Says a lot about the commentary.

Our pressure has been elite.

I had to double check the scores several times yesterday due to the fact that the commentators managed to keep saying, almost continuously, how well the dogs were going and the pressure they were putting on our girls (or words to that effect).

Is it perhaps possible that the people in charge of scoreboards these days miss a few of the opposition goals and award them to our girls instead?

Or is it that the commentators are nearly as bad as the umpires these days?

Or am I just simply a one-eyed, biased, silly old fool?

I had to double check the scores several times yesterday due to the fact that the commentators managed to keep saying, almost continuously, how well the dogs were going and the pressure they were putting on our girls (or words to that effect).

Is it perhaps possible that the people in charge of scoreboards these days miss a few of the opposition goals and award them to our girls instead?

1) The scoreboard at the ground died in the second half, so maybe they forgot the score?
2) Yes
3) No comment.

Option 3 Horace and it’s why we love you!

I'm wondering if we should rename our forward line to "If Tahlia doesn't get you, Vikki will instead", after back to back bone crunching tackles, our two girls delivered yesterday in the third quarter.

A joy to behold in my eyes at least, but pity the recipients of these two shinboners operating at their most fearsome best.

I'm wondering if we should rename our forward line to "If Tahlia doesn't get you, Vikki will instead", after back to back bone crunching tackles, our two girls delivered yesterday in the third quarter.

A joy to behold in my eyes at least, but pity the recipients of these two shinboners operating at their most fearsome best.
Yeah they certainly would strike fear into any opposition teams.

The physical side of the team across the board has really stood out. I love Mia King’s work in tight and Rikki for a slight player lays a lot of strong tackles.

The fears that a lot of people had about Hannah Mouncey (or any trans player) being allowed to play at AFLW level due to the difference in size and power are playing out in a perfectly legal and fair way with Vikki and Tahlia simply because of their speed, power, determination, and technique.

Guess we can play in the rain.

Team is really busy laying some inspired with the whole of the side really gelling together.
The usual suspects are doing their thing and the role players have really stepped up.
All 3 Irish girls are playing good footy and Bresh has lifted her output

Team is really busy laying some inspired with the whole of the side really gelling together.
The usual suspects are doing their thing and the role players have really stepped up.

The most absurd bit of commentary was when someone suggested with all this success playing in the rain every game, maybe our weakness is playing in dry weather.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The most absurd bit of commentary was when someone suggested with all this success playing in the rain every game, maybe our weakness is playing in dry weather.
Oh my god, i just about fell out of my seat at that suggestion. Seemed though it was responded too appropriately from memory:

*awkward pause

"no i think their absolute drubbing of brisbane round one would put any of those thoughts away"

The commentators basically ignored the goalless score line.

Have we kept a team goalless before? Is this a common occurrence in AFLW? Or are all north Melbourne teams considered irrelevant by the media regardless of how we play?
The top 10 lowest AFLW scores against North.

SCOREOPPONENTNMFC SCORERNDYEARGROUND
0.1.1SYDNEY SWANS9.13.6762022BPUNT ROAD
0.2.2GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY4.8.3252023ARDEN STREET OVAL
0.4.4WESTERN BULLDOGS8.11.5972024ARDEN STREET OVAL
1.0.6CARLTON BLUES10.6.6622023ARDEN STREET OVAL
1.0.6PORT ADELAIDE6.5.4142024WHITTEN OVAL
1.3.9GEELONG CATS11.5.7112021KARDINIA PARK
1.3.9WESTERN BULLDOGS7.13.55102023WESTERN OVAL
1.3.9MELBOURNE DEMONS7.8.50QF2023PRINCES PARK
1.4.10ST KILDA SAINTS5.6.3622021ARDEN STREET OVAL
1.4.10CARLTON BLUES12.7.7952024PRINCES PARK

l asked Tess about the same thing at the end of the game and she said that "maybe we might forget how to play dry weather football again" to which we both laughed.. :laughv1:

We don't prefer the wet, we like to use handball and chain short passes quickly to generate attacks, it doesn't suit wet conditions. I think if they made that point it would have been okay.

Bresnehan and Craven have been big improvers this season, I think it is easy for players to coast in good teams when the stars are playing well, but we have had a fair games already where the stars have had a very subdued impact and it has been the hard work of the second tier that has lifted and carried the load. This was a bit of a weakness last year and was very evident a few seasons ago where if someone like Garner didn't dominate then we didn't win.

We have a much more even contribution now, Kearney and Shierlaw go out and the side still looks very strong.

I think Libby Birch was a really good pickup, she is a very good defender. I think the club has done a fantastic job in terms of list management, which is a stark contrast to the men's team. We have had a very lean look at picks since we came into the competition and the club has been aggressive with trading to find a good balance to the team and make it stronger. We only have 7 players from the inaugural team, lost a fair few to expansion sides but year after year we have made the side stronger through good list management and good player development.

Some of the ladies that had obvious flaws in their game have improved on them from season to season and that is what you need to improve and put yourself in a position where you can have a crack at the flag. It has been fantastic to be able to watch the evolution and development of the side.

The top 10 lowest AFLW scores against North.

SCOREOPPONENTNMFC SCORERNDYEARGROUND
0.1.1SYDNEY SWANS9.13.6762022BPUNT ROAD
0.2.2GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY4.8.3252023ARDEN STREET OVAL
0.4.4WESTERN BULLDOGS8.11.5972024ARDEN STREET OVAL
1.0.6CARLTON BLUES10.6.6622023ARDEN STREET OVAL
1.0.6PORT ADELAIDE6.5.4142024WHITTEN OVAL
1.3.9GEELONG CATS11.5.7112021KARDINIA PARK
1.3.9WESTERN BULLDOGS7.13.55102023WESTERN OVAL
1.3.9MELBOURNE DEMONS7.8.50QF2023PRINCES PARK
1.4.10ST KILDA SAINTS5.6.3622021ARDEN STREET OVAL
1.4.10CARLTON BLUES12.7.7952024PRINCES PARK

Yeah, but on the day surely the commentary team would have judged the opposition as playing the better game. Pity about the scoreboard really.

Yeah, but on the day surely the commentary team would have judged the opposition as playing the better game. Pity about the scoreboard really.
My memories of the GWS game were the commentators applauding their defense and calling out North's offense.

I watched the replay after getting home via the Town Hall and Drunken Poet. Only had the one pint of Guinness at the Poet which showed great self-control… draft me now 😬

Libby Birch seems to be moving better and played another good, solid game. She’s such a good addition to the backline.

I thought Eliza Shannon did pretty well. Her long kicks to position were pretty good and she was solid defensively. Her post match interview is well worth a look. I liked how she corrected the interviewer after being congratulated for making her North debut in what was her 14th game for the club.

Harf was pretty good in commentary.

The bulldogs should be relieved that we missed 3 or 4 easy set shots on goal.

Another thing that I’ve noticed during this season is that we don’t spoil or shepherd on the goal line. A number of times a shot on goal will just drop short but our tall isn’t on the goal line to help shepherd it through for a goal or to touch it but instead is standing in the middle of the goal square.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back