North supporter toughest times

Remove this Banner Ad

My lowest point was round 11, 1972. I rode a motor bike to Waverley with high hopes; it was the last game of the first round and North were winless but were up against Geelong who were also winless at that stage. My hopes were dashed when North lost by 9 points. We did win one game later in the season, against South Melbourne. Of course everything changed the next year with the arrival of Ron Barassi. Hopefully we can climb the ladder just as quickly in the next couple of years
And there was no equalisation. Poor clubs stayed poor. Rich clubs paid players outside contracts. It’s better now. But many teams still makes it tough. We have shot ours selves in the foot plenty recently. But it will be very sweet when it comes. As it will.

I was a NM supporter all my life until the AFL bought the Gold Coast Suns. And I have to admit, this is the toughest period I can recall. It actually rivals the 1990's when I was a keen Washington Generals fan. I'd go to game after game, back us at the line week after week, only to have my heart torn out by idiotic decision making & basic skill errors. To this day, there are some games that I wonder whether the Generals players were being paid off by an Indian bookie. I did speak to Laura Kane about it when she was at NM & showed her footage of the suspect incidents, but she was comfortable with what she saw & ticked off on it.

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone can tell me how many games NM have won in Melb since 2020?
I feel like I’ve seen us win just 2 games in the flesh in the last 4 years???? Surely that’s a typo.
Including 2020, St. Kilda (no crowd), Carlton (no crowd), West Coast, Richmond, West Coast again. I think that's all?

Rd 11, 2019 at G-Town.

Geelong 9.15.69
North Melbourne 1.8.14

That was a pretty crap occasion.

Likewise when Port beat us in that last game of the H&A season, when they were crap, to ruin our year in one fell swoop.

My lowest point was round 11, 1972. I rode a motor bike to Waverley with high hopes; it was the last game of the first round and North were winless but were up against Geelong who were also winless at that stage. My hopes were dashed when North lost by 9 points. We did win one game later in the season, against South Melbourne. Of course everything changed the next year with the arrival of Ron Barassi. Hopefully we can climb the ladder just as quickly in the next couple of years
1972 was the season when North won the spoon with 1 win and 21 defeats.

Amazing that with in 2 full seaons North made a grand final in 1974. Then won the flag the next season.

I am curious on How many North Melbourne fans on here followed North before the 1970s?

I am Born in 1987 so before the Horrible 2020-24 period. Norths worst seasons in my life time were 2017 when North got 6 wins and 16 losses and 2006 when North got 7 wins and 15 losses and made finals in 2007.

Amazing that with in 2 full seaons North made a grand final in 1974. Then won the flag the next season.

I am curious on How many North Melbourne fans on here followed North before the 1970s?

I am Born in 1987 so before the Horrible 2020-24 period. Norths worst seasons in my life time were 2017 when North got 6 wins and 16 losses and 2006 when North got 7 wins and 15 losses and made finals in 2007.
Not me but I've been told that the one or two wins each season were celebrated like flags.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I go back to the 50's. My heroes then were Aylett, Dugdale, Dwyer and Teasdale

I actually hated the 80s because we had a good team but really acheived nothing with it, it was also at a time when i was pretty heavily invested. fortinately it was sandwiched between the 70s and 90s when we were successfull. The ohs under laids i found it boring to watch us, the teens were ok after getting some off field stability up untill 2016 when the wheels fell off, but i think were got the strongest foundation to build on now since 2000.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a couple of pre 70s oldies on here Hojuman is one, gokangas is another. Others too.

There's a couple of pre 70s oldies on here Hojuman is one, gokangas is another. Others too.
Nate met my father in law on Sunday. He's been going to North games since the 50s and has been a member since 1960. He had a regular spot near the dog track at Arden St and a bunch of blokes from his era used to meet up there at matches - who knows, maybe even Hojuman and his father were in that mob. I went there for a few seasons before we relocated to the G for home games. Those older blokes went through some lean times but now I think of it, I realise it's a quarter of a century since our last flag.

Including 2020, St. Kilda (no crowd), Carlton (no crowd), West Coast, Richmond, West Coast again. I think that's all?

Unreal - I think I was a 2/3 of them. The Richmond one was the best imo

Tough shit - I was born in 1996! I've been alive for 2 premierships, remember neither of them, and have had a lifetime of mediocrity from the Roos :(

Onfield wise other than the last 5 years

Losing to the reigning wooden spooners in 2000 while wearing Orange

Certain games in 2001, (kicking 3.18 up in Sydney) seeing a declining power get thrashed regularly hurt a lot when you are used to winning as a kid.

That 3 month period in 2009 where we didn't win a single game from round 4 to 17 (only one draw) and were scoring only about 55 points on average was pretty tough. You can be crap, but when you're crap and also can't see any goals it's worse. Laidley pull the pin and walked away. We finished the year alright though.

2013 Losing about 10 games under 10 points or whatever it was despite having a % of 120. Talk about blue balls.

Round 22 2008 with top 4 on the line. Probably the most inexcusable one of the lot.

Been going since l was 3, 1963. I lived 250 metres from Arden st. Bertie22 may have us all covered though l reckon.

Nate met my father in law on Sunday. He's been going to North games since the 50s and has been a member since 1960. He had a regular spot near the dog track at Arden St and a bunch of blokes from his era used to meet up there at matches - who knows, maybe even Hojuman and his father were in that mob. I went there for a few seasons before we relocated to the G for home games. Those older blokes went through some lean times but now I think of it, I realise it's a quarter of a century since our last flag.
Its getting on for half my lifetime.

Scary.

So you were young enough to remember the 1950 VFL grand final when Wally Carter was the head coach?
I am not quite that old. I do remember Wally Carter returning as coach in 1958 when we were beaten by Collingwood in the preliminary final. As with another final 40 years later, we threw it away with bad kicking, being 2.10 at half time

I’m confused? Freomaniac??

Thinking about the game I feel like as a supporter base we’ve been through it all….

Carey saga
Almost relocation
Being 9-0 one year and almost missing finals
WCE prelim debacle
2018/19 to now…..loss after loss after coach after coach
Ongoing speculation about our future
Smashings
Not being able to maintain a lead mutliple times this year / yesterday….gut wrenching
Try living through the '60's. You young blokes have had it easy!

Remove this Banner Ad

North supporter toughest times

Remove this Banner Ad

Back