North v Melbourne NAB challenge score

Remove this Banner Ad

its all preseason as much as the score doesnt flatter us who knows what gameplans the teams are trying out.

no use getting too critical this early in the yr, lets wait for a few rounds of the real stuff or is that too much too ask

mighty mick said:
its all preseason as much as the score doesnt flatter us who knows what gameplans the teams are trying out.

no use getting too critical this early in the yr, lets wait for a few rounds of the real stuff or is that too much too ask

It just sounds disappointing that we had a full list of senior players getting ready for round1 and they had about 5 senior players out.

Just going on the scoreboard, we 'won' after 1/4 time.

I guess given some slow starts in 2005 and again last week and this, I wonder what is being done to address this.

Tough one for the coaching staff as it may be a mental issue as much as anything

These slow starts aren't sounding great so far, I know it's pre-season but still...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Star said:
I guess given some slow starts in 2005 and again last week and this, I wonder what is being done to address this.
I'm probably jumping the gun here,but I agree 100%.I know it was only a praccy,but thats the third loss in a row,and for a team we are being lead to believe is on the rise,not quite good enough I'm afraid.But then as I said,what do I know.

Neitz fires as Dees down Roos
7:01:16 PM Fri 17 March, 2006
Matt Burgan
Exclusive to afl.com.au
Melbourne skipper David Neitz has jagged five goals to help the Demons hold off a determined Kangaroos outfit by 22 points at Princes Park on Friday afternoon, in the final round of the 2006 NAB Challenge.

The Demons 19.7 (121) defeated the Kangaroos 15.9 (99) to finish their pre-season with three wins and one defeat, while the Roos enter the premiership season with just one victory - over last year's premiers Sydney in the opening round of the NAB Cup.

Although Melbourne led for the entire match, the Demons were seriously challenged by the Kangaroos in the third quarter. The red and blue led by eight goals mid-way through the quarter, but the Roos fought back to trail by less than two goals at the final change.

But the story of the match was the strong return to form from Neitz, who led strongly, marked well and had his kicking boots on against new Kangaroos' full-back Jonathan Hay.

The Melbourne skipper will enter the premiership season full of confidence, after an injury-marred 2005.

Along with Neitz, live-wire forward Aaron Davey (four goals), Byron Pickett (three) and Paul Johnson (two) were also key players in Melbourne's attacking zone. Davey capped off a fine pre-season, finishing the pre-season with 10 goals.

Veteran Daniel Ward, playing his first official pre-season match, was among Melbourne's best, while ruckman Jeff White, hard-at-it running defender Matthew Whelan, the ever-reliable Nathan Brown and emerging youngster Col Sylvia also stood tall.

The only sour point for Melbourne was a leg injury to Clint Bizzell just minutes before the end of the match.

For the Kangaroos, key forward Nathan Thompson was also not to be outdone, also booting five goals - and was arguably his side's best - while Sav Rocca also bobbed up with two majors.

Brady Rawlings continued his excellent pre-season for the Roos, winning the ball about 30 times, while teammates Shannon Grant, Daniel Harris and Jess Sinclair were also prominent for the Roos.

Promoted rookie Josh Gibson continues to look a player - having been a terrific low-budget find - while youngster Jess Smith again showed his class at times. Unfortunately, though, he was taken from the field in the final term in the hands of trainers.

Melbourne went into the match without leaders Russell Robertson, Cameron Bruce and Brad Miller, while regulars Jared Rivers, Brock McLean, Ben Holland and Daniel Bell were also missing.

On the other hand, the Kangaroos were virtually at full strength with skipper Adam Simpson the only major omission.

Melbourne started the match in emphatic style. The Demons booted seven goals to two - including the opening five majors - to gain a 30-point lead at the first change.

Neitz (three goals) and Davey (two goals) shone during this period, while Thompson was the lone goalkicker for the Roos with two majors.

The Kangas fought back early in the second term with a hat-trick of goals, reducing the deficit to just 12 points. But when Davey jagged his third and Adem Yze kicked truly later in the quarter, the Demons took an 18-point lead into the main break.

Brown (15 disposals), Ward (14) and Bizzell (14) were the major ball-winners for the Demons in the first half, while B.Rawlings (16 possessions) led the way for the Kangaroos.

The match looked set to be over mid-way through the third term after Melbourne slammed five in a row, running away to a 48-point lead.

Neitz booted his fourth and Pickett added a couple and a thrashing dished out to the Kangaroos looked on the cards, until the Roos began a super revival.

The Kangas booted six goals to zip in less than 15 minutes to enter the final stanza trailing by just 10 points.

Although a fascinating final term loomed, Melbourne booted five goals to three in the final term to win comfortably.

KANGAROOS: 2.2 6.4 12.7 15.9 (99)
MELBOURNE: 7.2 9.4 14.5 19.7 (121)
GOALS - Kangaroos: Thompson 5, Rocca 2, Archer, Green, Harding, Harris, Co.Jones, LeCras, Petrie, Sansbury
Melbourne: Neitz 5, Davey 4, Pickett 3, P.Johnson 2, Sylvia 2, Green, McDonald, Yze
BEST - Kangaroos: Thompson, B.Rawlings, Grant, Harris, Sinclair, Gibson
Melbourne: Neitz, Davey, Ward, White, Whelan, Brown, Sylvia
INJURIES - Kangaroos: Smith (ankle), Archer (concussion)
Melbourne: Wheatley (finger), Bizzell (leg)
REPORTS - Nil
UMPIRES - Donlan, Head, M.Nicholls, Wenn
CROWD - about 1500 at Princes Park

I think the author likes the word 'jag'

Good news about Gibson, looks a certainty now for Round 1. Hopefully JWS and Arch are ok.

Positives to take from this are a turnover of 3 or 4 positions from the outset. Lets hope the boys have had their 'down' time and lift when it matters most.

negatives=Aaron Davey (four goals), Byron Pickett (three)

positives =thommo5, gibson.

arch concussed:(

do not like this come from behind attitude, looks as if nothing has been learnt from last yr

i know its only pre season but are u abit worried that you guys lost when you only Simpson out from you full strength side?

raikkonen64 said:
i know its only pre season but are u abit worried that you guys lost when you only Simpson out from you full strength side?

Wasnt at the game so didnt know what Laidley did or what he wanted to get out of the game. Also you gotta remember that this is still preseason and although it should be a lead up to rnd 1 there may not have been the intensity there from the boys today.

What I am worried about though is Neitz kicking 5 on Hay....dunno what happened there but it looks like we've gotta improve if we're to beat Port in a couple of weeks...

raikkonen64 said:

Not really, if you look at practice games there is not the amount of defensive intensity as there is during H&A games. It is why teams that like the fast running football do well in the pre-season, ie Carlton last year because there was no real defensive pressure.

While our team is at near full strength most of our senior players have had a delayed pre-season so they will probably be a tad sluggish early in the year but have more run in the legs late in the year so early in the season we need the younger players to take more of the burden.

Less than 4 goals is not a massive margin, especially given the lethargic start. What would be of concern is the slow starts to games, it was a problem last year and I think the club would want to address that.

I think we would have had a better result if we played more of the younger kids because they have had a longer pre-season, but the senior players didn't play much in the earlier games and it was just time for them to get into the swing of things.

If we have a very poor result in round 1 then I would be concerned.

I was there and will post a report on another thread, but this AFL.com.au
reports are useless.
A very dissapointing and lazy effort by our blokes by most part with a few exceptions.
The worst game I've seen Rawlings play for some time.

mark73 said:
I'm probably jumping the gun here,but I agree 100%.I know it was only a praccy,but thats the third loss in a row,and for a team we are being lead to believe is on the rise,not quite good enough I'm afraid.But then as I said,what do I know.

Sydney lost all there pre season games last year and went on to win the flag , means nothing , Laidley has come out and said pre season that we hit the start of the season running , but run out of legs come September , so this season is going to be different , and we may experiance a slow start to the home and away season , but i think we will peak at the right time of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

North v Melbourne NAB challenge score

Remove this Banner Ad

Back