2nds Northern Blues 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Just as a matter of interest mediumsizered, did you see Russell start the game?

I didn't spot him until the second quarter for some reason.
Started on the interchange bench, but did come on into the forward line in the first quarter & injured his shoulder when tackled. That was taped up at quarter time & the runner spent some time testing it with some bumps during the break.

I was furious when the umpire pinged him for running too far. He would have probably covered 10 metres however the umpire assumed because he had got around a few Port players that he had run too far & yet in another passage of play a Port player ran a good 20 metres at the Northern end of the ground without the umpires batting an eyelid.

Would you play him next week MS?

I thing the 3 replacements this week will be really telling, do they go the Gartlett, Lucas and Watson types who are playing for there careers. Do they bring in Cripps and Holman? Personally I would like to see Watson have a go up forward. Would love Cripps and Holman on the G against the Bombers in round 23

I thing the 3 replacements this week will be really telling, do they go the Gartlett, Lucas and Watson types who are playing for there careers. Do they bring in Cripps and Holman? Personally I would like to see Watson have a go up forward. Would love Cripps and Holman on the G against the Bombers in round 23

If Garlett plays, it may be a good omen although it's hard to say whether he's had a change of mind about staying with us.

Cripps should come in, even if only played forward or as a sub.

Take a risk on Holman? Why not, although if we have a better match up for Watson, he's deserved the game.

I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't. There is nothing to be gained by having him run around in the VFL for another week, particularly given the injuries suffered in Friday night's game.

Cheers MS.
He has been so impressive in the games I have seen him play over the past few weeks he really does deserve a call up.
Makes even more sense with Brock going down with injury.

The Grunt Match Report

Two young Carlton midfielders provided further shining lights for the Blues, with Nick Holman and Patrick Cripps named as Northern’s best performers.

In a run-with role with Chris Cain, Holman gathered 14 disposals and kicked a goal, whilst restricting the dangerous Cain to just 12 of his own.

Cripps accrued 25 disposals (17 contested), in a typically dogged performance.

On a personal level, Watson went onto bag another three-goal haul, having made full-forward his own position in recent weeks.

“I’ve really enjoyed playing forward in the last six weeks: it’s something different and a position where I want to play to end the season as well as next year.

“Having spells in the ruck today was also something different, and it’s something I’m working on to add another string to my bow.”

Great attitude to hear from him. He comes across so laconic....I think he has an opportunity here to reinvent himself as a forward.

I reckon three goals in that team against those guys is a decent enough effort. I really think Watson should play this week. Waite is really a lone hand at the moment and Casboult has had a very poor month or so and Watto has been good and fairly consistent, might go better there at AFL level.

You get the feeling Malthouse is taking a dislike to those who can't tackle well or don't chase/tackle with intent. It's definitely a thing which has improved in our senior side. Probably why Lucas and Garlett are on the outer and guys like Ellard have been so popular. Garlett and Lucas would be likely ins this week if it wasn't for the fact that it appears the decision has been made about their futures.

Hope Byrne is alright. Got fairly big hopes for this guy, I reckon he's one who should play this week as we need forwards and he seems like a very classy and versatile player. Cripps and Holman are a couple of players who I'd like to see play but you can't play them all. Both will play games next year I feel. They have been good for first year players, both seem competitors. It would be great to see Cripps in playing along side Judd and Murphy, would be good education for him.

Just feel like they are trying to make some of our younger fellas more versatile, they are playing them in multiple roles and positions, really good for their development. AFL level football is a game where you can really find yourself at either end and both attacking and defending, it's good for these guys to know a bit about all areas of the field.

Good to hear Kreuzer went well and looks fit, it's important to finish the season well going into the next one. Would be great if he got things right and developed a few extra strings to his bow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Blues will play the Hawks on Saturday at Box Hill City Oval at 1.10pm.
The match will be televised live on ABC for Victorian viewers from 1pm.

Northern Blues Selected Squad

B M. Watson
Anthony McInnes

HB Wilkinson Byrne Temay

C Lucas Garlett Russell

HF Bransgrove T. Thomas Armfield

F Kreuzer Reynolds Wilson

R Warnock Cripps Cattapan

I/C from: Jenkins, Haynes, Totevski, M. Gleeson*, Walton, Taglieri, Dirago, Posar, Johnston

leunig+tv+sunset.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Northern Blues 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back