2nds Northern Blues 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems we're the resident feeder club for ootherness other vfl clubs.....

Would be good if the NB's can get a more senior tall for both ends of the ground.
Sorry to see Anthony leave after only one year as he added a lot of protection for the young backs.

Don't care so much for mids as we'll have the bigger bodies there with Ellard, Armfield and even Whiley at times.

Would be good if the NB's can get a more senior tall for both ends of the ground.
Sorry to see Anthony leave after only one year as he added a lot of protection for the young backs.

Don't care so much for mids as we'll have the bigger bodies there with Ellard, Armfield and even Whiley at times.

Maybe Mitch Gleeson? You're right they look like being short on key position players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the one thing that irritates me and it was particularly damaging this year after Williamstown raided us. We lose talent every year but never replace them with players of equal talent.

Maybe Mitch Gleeson? You're right they look like being short on key position players.

Gleeson, Coulson and Bolger are the only talls we have left and all still have somewhat soft bodies.

Hope we're not leaving it up to "Paulie" Dirago. Plays hard but is only 191cm tall. We need 25 year olds to compete physically.

Gleeson, Coulson and Bolger are the only talls we have left and all still have somewhat soft bodies.

Hope we're not leaving it up to "Paulie" Dirago. Plays hard but is only 191cm tall. We need 25 year olds to compete physically.
Dirago is not the smartest player going around. He would have had Luke Webster tearing his hair out at times with some of the silly things he did on field. I must admit though, I liked his attack on the ball. It is just a shame that he is not that little bit taller.

as mentioned before, pick up Austin now that he has been delisted by the Dogs.

as mentioned before, pick up Austin now that he has been delisted by the Dogs.
We could do worse than Austin. He knows the way around and he is a decent player at that level.
We do need a few more solid bodies and a little leadership. The Preston side of the equation is extremely young, small and underdeveloped physically. Much as I don't like doing it, having an older head or 2 at this level is optimal. We don't have that.

actually whilst i think about it, where is Sam Sheldon? Who do Johnson's boys play for?
Get some of the old Blue's boys down to the club and build a connection between Carlton fan base and the Northern Blues.
Having the sons playing in the NB's would be awesome.

actually whilst i think about it, where is Sam Sheldon? Who do Johnson's boys play for?
Get some of the old Blue's boys down to the club and build a connection between Carlton fan base and the Northern Blues.

Well, we do have Gleeson. :)
All good ideas if the players were willing to come along.

Getting Mark Austin could be good for the NB's also.
Bit disappointed we couldn't somehow get Russell into the club as he's been terrific value for the Footscray side.

Yeah, missed opportunity there. It would create a bond between the old and new if we could.
Start to foster a sense of belonging between the two clubs.
Something for the administrations of both teams to consider.

Yeah, I like the idea that if players didn't carry bad blood and did opt to play VFL, that we may be a suitable home.

Someone like Russell or Scotland (if he was young enough) would have been assets for the Northern Blues and the younger Carlton listed players.

Sam Sheldon may be past VFL standard at this point. He had a very bad injury 2 years back playing in Darwin. I think he gave up 'senior' footy at that point. I think he is playing in the bush, but I may be wrong.
It would be quite reasonable to get the Johnston boys. They were playing for Port Melbourne last I saw.
Scotland has landed a role playing and being assistant coach at Doncaster.
I am not sure what Russell has in mind for 2015. he has been good as a leader for Footscray.

The only problem with any of these lads is that the NBs pay poorly. There is not a huge incentive to play for a team with a large AFL contingent. That is something that can change, but I can't see it happening any time soon. The Preston side of the equation rode far too close to financial extinction a few years back and have a policy not to seek big names or pay big dollars.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Northern Blues 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back