NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

ER arrogant.. fancy picking Bennell after 3months out sometimes you get what you deserve in this game woeful selection mistake.

If he’s clearly in the best team and has fully recovered why wouldn’t you play him? You back quality players to readjust to footy quickly.

ER arrogant.. fancy picking Bennell after 3months out sometimes you get what you deserve in this game woeful selection mistake.

Wouldn’t call it arrogant but I first thought it strange, but then realised it made sense to bring him back for the qualifying final rather than needing him next week when it’s do or die.

Plus at least he offered more than Fox, way out of his depth and clearly better suited to the inferior SFL

A few coaches are dropping now.

UFTG - Kris Fletcher (Current Beaconsfield Assistant Coach)
FTG - Pat Garrity (Current Rowville Under 19s Coach)
Lilydale - Duncan Jones (Former Whitehorse Coach)
Add Vermont - Matt Adolph and Mooroolbark- Ben Wheat to the list.

Still a few clubs yet to announce there new coaches.

What a weekend with 2 premierships decided.

- Balwyn knock off East Ringwood by 3 points and advance to the grand final. You'd have to say a pretty big upset based on recent form. It was a very low scoring game in probably the best conditions we have had in weeks on Saturday. Amazingly East Ringwood were able to hold league leading goal kicker Charlie Haley to 0 goals but still lost. Sam Lowsons return from the VFL wasn't enough to get East Ringwood over the line either although he still kicked 4 goals himself. Lowson is the most damaging forward in the division averaging 4 goals a week for his 9 games he has played. East Ringwood will face Rowville in next weeks prelim.

- The wind returned for the elimination final today and Rowville proved much too strong for a disappointing South Croydon winning by 51 points. I expected this game to be much closer but it was all over at half time when Rowville was up by 43 points. South Croydon couldn't take advantage of the wind in the first quarter and were up against it for the rest of the game. Chris Jones went forward is the 3rd to try and spark South but again inaccuracy cost them when they had some momentum. The rain came in the 4th quarter but the game was done.

- In Div 1 Park Orchards survived a late scare over an inaccurate Beaconsfield to win by 8 points and advance to the grand final next week against Mitcham. Beaconsfield had 22 scoring shots to Park orchards 15 but it was one of those days where they were inaccurate kicking 13 behinds compared to Park Orchards being very accurate kicking only 3 behinds. The grand final shapes as another classic next week between the 2 best sides of the division i think.

- In Div 2 Croydon got the early jump on Mulgrave in the prelim and were never headed. Croydon lead by 25 points at quarter time and were basically able to maintain that margin for the game. Mulgrave did get it back to 2 goals late in the 3rd quarter but Croydon then kicked the next 2 goals to kill off any hope of a Mulgrave comeback. Fletcher Roberts did return for Mulgrave kicking 3 goals but as expected there was no Lin Jong for the lions which was a big loss. Jong will probably win the League B&F. For Croydon they now take on Boronia in next weeks grand final and as everyone knows, are the only team to defeat Boronia all season. Boronia are red hot favourites and I'm 99% sure they will win, but that other 1% still exists.

- In Div 3 Surrey Park won an absolute classic against Donvale by 2 points. What a game! Surrey Park kicked the first behind of the game and then did not lead again until the 21 minute mark of the last quarter when Jack Mahon kicked the last goal of the game. Twice Donvale led by 15 points in the last quarter only for Surrey to come back and win on the back of the run their kids gave them all day, they never gave up. Tom Smith won his 2nd BOG in a grand final. You could see the devastation on the whole Donvale club after the game and you have to feel for them for what they have achieved over the last 3 years, 3 grand finals, 2 losses by 2 points but still a premiership in between the losses. But for Surrey Park what a story, all that hard work over more than a decade is all of a sudden paying off in a big way. Back to back premierships is rare in EFNL especially when climbing divisions. They are flying as a club and i think they will do really well in Div 2. For Donvale I'm sure they will be really competitive in Div 3 still but i think there might be a bit of South Belgrave about them, there is only so many times you can go to the well. They might need a bit of a freshen up.

- In Div 4 Scoresby are on the way back to Div 3 after defeating Whitehorse by 81 points. Its a result that didn't really surprise anyone. Adam Amin kicked his 100th goal after the halftime siren which meant there was no delay for the crowd invasion. The game was tight until halfway thru the 2nd quarter but then it became all Scoresby and they kicked the last 12 goals of the game. Its a great result for Scoresby after having multiple relagations in the last decade. Mason Storr originally a Boronia junior, won the best on ground medal. I would saying judging by what i have seen today the standard is fair bit off being competitive in division 3 so there will need to be a mountain of work done over the off season to get to a competitive level. We could see some more Boronia linked players head to Scoresby through Craig Mckenzie especially if Boronia win the flag.

Great summary as always mate. Not sure how much footy you actually watch each weekend, but I really appreciate these posts. How good is local footy?

Weird how things work out. Donvale are such a good team. It's impossible not to feel bad for them, and at the same time I'm absolutely ecstatic

Great summary of the weekend's happenings adock. In regards to your summary about the premiership win by Scoresby, well done to the former Boronia players who played although these guys were permanent Reserves players. I cannot see any players from Boronia who will be heading to Scoresby in the near future despite Craig McKenzie and his former links to the club. All going well Boronia will be in Division 1 in 2025.

I do agree with your thoughts it will be a big step up for Scoresby in 2025. Many of the guys who played in the premiership team have played their best football elsewhere (they are of the older demographic) and the step up will be challenging for them. Despite this, well done to those involved and despite my thoughts, let them worry about this later and enjoy the celebrations. Considering the plight Scoresby has been in for many years, this was a terrific result.

As for Surrey Park, what an amazing effort. A club well and truly on the up after nearly folding on numerous occasions over the last decade. Kudos should go to all involved and the future is very bright for them.

Great Summary. Unreal Div 3 GF. And well done to Surrey Park, not just this year but their last 5 years really. Finally getting those juniors to stick around and filter through. Amazing what happens when strong juniors stick around. They'll go well next year in Div 2. Donvale are stiff. It was almost game over when they went 16 up and almost scored again, it's almost unfair that they aren't allowed up either as they would hold their own. As for a freshen up. I dont understand where that comes from. Their core group is 23-25. James Rausa is only 25. They have been around forever because most of them debuted as 16yr/17yr olds. And their best player on saturday was Djordevic who's only 19. They'll be the team to beat again next year for sure. Murphy will go one more year for that flag. They'll get Billy McCormack back from the SANFL. They'll be right

Most promoted sides look pretty well set

Would expect Mitcham or Park Orchards to be competitive in Premier. Both will certainly be better than Berwick.

Barring a massive upset this week, Boronia will go up and I think will challenge for D1 finals at the very least.

Surrey have a big step to make and will face some challenges. On the whole I expect them to meet them as they look to have a good profile for further growth. But it’ll be a bigger jump than they had this season.

It Scoresby keep their group together then they’ll be okay, but will need to start bringing talented youth through if they want to be a permanent D3 side.

Great Summary. Unreal Div 3 GF. And well done to Surrey Park, not just this year but their last 5 years really. Finally getting those juniors to stick around and filter through. Amazing what happens when strong juniors stick around. They'll go well next year in Div 2. Donvale are stiff. It was almost game over when they went 16 up and almost scored again, it's almost unfair that they aren't allowed up either as they would hold their own. As for a freshen up. I dont understand where that comes from. Their core group is 23-25. James Rausa is only 25. They have been around forever because most of them debuted as 16yr/17yr olds. And their best player on saturday was Djordevic who's only 19. They'll be the team to beat again next year for sure. Murphy will go one more year for that flag. They'll get Billy McCormack back from the SANFL. They'll be right
Agreed mate, especially after a few years ago, when teams who didn't win the flag got promoted and were nowhere near as dominate. (East Burwood & Park Orchards)

As for a freshen up. I dont understand where that comes from. Their core group is 23-25. James Rausa is only 25. They have been around forever because most of them debuted as 16yr/17yr olds. And their best player on saturday was Djordevic who's only 19. They'll be the team to beat again next year for sure. Murphy will go one more year for that flag. They'll get Billy McCormack back from the SANFL. They'll be right

Don't take it the wrong way, I'm no suggesting huge change like sacking the coach or a big change in the playing group.

A freshen up could be a tweak in the game style, a new assistant coach, a couple of different style recruits etc. What i mean is i think most thought it would just happen for South Belgrave this year after last years shock loss but it didn't and they bombed out of finals. The comment is much more about not just thinking it will happen and making sure the hunger is still there.

Don't take it the wrong way, I'm no suggesting huge change like sacking the coach or a big change in the playing group.

A freshen up could be a tweak in the game style, a new assistant coach, a couple of different style recruits etc. What i mean is i think most thought it would just happen for South Belgrave this year after last years shock loss but it didn't and they bombed out of finals. The comment is much more about not just thinking it will happen and making sure the hunger is still there.

South Belgrave strengthened again with recruiting. It’s pretty hard to conclude it’s much else than the coach. A change can take some time but Black doesn’t have the greatest record or reputation. Appointing him just because his son plays there was a bit of a strange one. Not sure why you’d spend squillions on players then not bother looking for the best coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

South Belgrave strengthened again with recruiting. It’s pretty hard to conclude it’s much else than the coach. A change can take some time but Black doesn’t have the greatest record or reputation. Appointing him just because his son plays there was a bit of a strange one. Not sure why you’d spend squillions on players then not bother looking for the best coach.

Injuries play a big part in sustained success, maybe having some key players unable to play finals had a bit of an impact too? Being the hunted in a division where everyone knows your strengths & weaknesses also contributes, when you are promoted you go into a new division, as a bit of an unknown, you go up with opposition expecting you to be mid to lower on the ladder & probably aren’t hunting you like those who you beat in the previous seasons, and these new sides haven’t had a chance to work you out like sides you have already played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stiff is an understatement.

I'm blown away to find out that Rausa is 25. He's going to have a trophy case of his own when he retires, full of league & club B&Fs.

Will Otten go again? He was best on I thought, and Djordevic fantastic too

Yeah wtf? I thought he was close to 30 if not over 30
Lol. I hope they show him this. He's looked like he's 40 since he was 18. He debuted as a 16yr old in 2015 along with McCormack and Wignell. Their core group of mates and their younger brothers are the mainstays of the Donvale team. I think you'll find only guys 27yrs old is Holland Otten Murphy Mill Haig. The rest are 25 and under. Same with their reserves. Most were under 19s from last year/year before. I think Duncan is only 22 or 23. He won their senior Bnf when he was 17. Even he's been around for ages.

If Murphy goes again Max will go again. Matt Leardi has already committed because he's stuck on 198 games. Would've retired this year if it wasn't for his ACL

Lol. I hope they show him this. He's looked like he's 40 since he was 18. He debuted as a 16yr old in 2015 along with McCormack and Wignell. Their core group of mates and their younger brothers are the mainstays of the Donvale team. I think you'll find only guys 27yrs old is Holland Otten Murphy Mill Haig. The rest are 25 and under. Same with their reserves. Most were under 19s from last year/year before. I think Duncan is only 22 or 23. He won their senior Bnf when he was 17. Even he's been around for ages.

If Murphy goes again Max will go again. Matt Leardi has already committed because he's stuck on 198 games. Would've retired this year if it wasn't for his ACL
Donvale need to recruit some keys to fill the holes of Haig, Mill, Murphy & Otten.
Otten had a great game but to be serious can you keep relying on 30+ year olds to continue to dominate

New Coaching Appointments

Vermont - Matt Adolph
Berwick - Andrew Williams
Bayswater -
Mooroolbark - Ben Wheat
North Ringwood - Matt Price
East Burwood -
Lilydale - Duncan Jones
The Basin - Joel Perry
Coldstream - Matt Johnson
Fairpark -
FTG - Pat Garrity
UFTG - Kris Fletcher
Chirnside Park - Justin Ficorilli
Forest Hill -
Kilsyth -

Bret Lavars - Seemed to be linked to everyone early on but hasnt been appointed anywhere as yet.
Jason Wade - Missed out on the FTG job, heard he was now linked to East Burwood job.
Fairpark - Im told were all in on Duncan Jones who chose Lilydale instead.
Forest Hill - Chasing Steve Pimm who coached Vermont reserves this year, but thats a tough gig to take on.
Marc Hardy - Was contacted by a few clubs but was still quite burnt by his treatment at Bayswater this year and it didnt progress.
Bayswater - Heard they were a little surprised at the lack of quality applicants. Could an internal playing coach be the answer there?

Jason Wade of The Basin

From their Facebook last year -

We are thrilled to announce Jason Wade has re-signed to coach our senior men again in 2024!

Wadey has been phenomenonal in year 1 of his coaching journey, guiding the boys through a difficult transition period, bringing a level of calmness and stability to our young group.

His ability to teach and develop the list has been first class, and the rate of improvement across the board has us nicely placed to attack 2024 with plenty of momentum. Our round 18 win against Knox was a great example of everything coming together, a sign of what's to come for next year and beyond!

Sacked after 4 games in 2024

Club goes winless for the season and gets relegated

Don’t know anything about The Basin but the club doesn’t exactly scream stability and intelligence.

"Jason Wade - Missed out on the FTG job, heard he was now linked to East Burwood job.", Yeah Nah.

I wouldn't be discounting Wade as a coach purely because he went for another job. He really is highly rated by many. Or because its a lower division. For a coach the FTG job is much more attractive than the East Burwood job currently.

He could actually be the firm hand East Burwood needs as a club.

I wouldn't be discounting Wade as a coach purely because he went for another job. He really is highly rated by many. Or because its a lower division. For a coach the FTG job is much more attractive than the East Burwood job currently.

He could actually be the firm hand East Burwood needs as a club.
All fair points and who knows it could happen. My view is there are better out there and who can bring a lot more and in saying that it's not up to me.

All fair points and who knows it could happen. My view is there are better out there and who can bring a lot more and in saying that it's not up to me.
If you were an existing senior coach or have aspirations to be one. You’d think twice before signing on at the Rams considering the turnover in the last 4 years.
Saying that you’ll have a good young squad who could jump up pretty quickly with the right structures.

Remove this Banner Ad

NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back