NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeez there is trouble on the horizon for Forest Hill, sadly. Won today but just 3 wins for the year, no Under 19s and the junior club announcing tomorrow is the club’s final game due to lack of numbers.

These big clubs with multiple junior and U19 teams aren’t going to translate to multiple senior teams. The league has to find a way to work that out a little better and give smaller clubs a better chance.

You can’t play against yourself at senior level.

Jeez there is trouble on the horizon for Forest Hill, sadly. Won today but just 3 wins for the year, no Under 19s and the junior club announcing tomorrow is the club’s final game due to lack of numbers.

These big clubs with multiple junior and U19 teams aren’t going to translate to multiple senior teams. The league has to find a way to work that out a little better and give smaller clubs a better chance.

You can’t play against yourself at senior level.

The player points system needs to be reviewed in the lower divisions, where there are smaller clubs. Clubs such as Forest Hill and Nunawading are never going to attract large (or any) numbers of juniors when Vermont and Blackburn have systems in place to guarantee that players will go to those clubs instead.

East Burwood hosted finals in 2022 and the ground was in pretty average condition I think that's why they don't have finals anymore

The last undefeated side was toppled! And a few clubs probably enjoyed their bye with the wet and windy weather yesterday.

• Huge percentage booster for Blackburn against Norwood and on the surface it looks irrelevant, but it gives them a big percentage break on Vermont and South Croydon who are also fighting for the last 2 positions in the top 5.
  • East Ringwood do what they needed to do against Noble Park and tighten their grip on top spot.
  • Park Orchards record a important 9 point win against fellow contender South Belgrave. The win has secured top spot for them with a 3 game break on 2nd and 3rd spots. The loss for South Belgrave leaves them vulnerable to missing the top 3 and double chance, with Beaconsfield lurking just a game behind in 4th spot with a similar percentage.
  • Mitcham roar into 2nd spot on the ladder with an easy win against Wantirna South. They have won 9 of their last 10 games and look set for a great chance at back to back flags.
  • Wantirna South still believes they have a path to avoiding relegation which starts with them defeating North Ringwood at home next week then Mooroolbark away round 17. This plan relies on Doncaster not winning a game, who play 3 of the top 4 in the next 3 games and finish with Mooroolbark. I can see the path, but for a team that has only won 1 game so far for the year, its very unlikely for me and i don't think they will beat North Ringwood next week.
  • Croydon jump to 2nd position with a big win against Ringwood. The last fortnight has been good for Croydon defeating two top 5 teams after a little mid season form slump. For Ringwood every time they have a chance to solidify a top 5 spot they seem to fail.
  • Mulgrave is now 2 games clear in 4th spot and just a small amount of percentage off 3rd spot after a big win against East Burwood. This is usually the type of game Mulgrave lose but they got the job done. With Waverley faltering the double chance is realistic for Mulgrave but they finish with 4 games against other finals contenders.
  • Could Heathmont make a late charge for 5th spot? They are only 1 game behind Ringwood and Templestowe but their percentage is poor and would still need everything to go right. last weeks loss against Lilydale might come back to haunt them.
  • The Donvale streak is over!!! Knox defeated Donvale by 5 points and announced themselves as a genuine contender. There was a bit of a perception they were the nominal 4th team but that has all changed now. They are a big chance to break into the top 3 now and secure the double chance having a better percentage than 3rd placed Coldstream.
  • For Donvale, are they flirting with their own form for no reason? Yesterday they had 2 mid season recruits play their first senior game for the year in Chris Tout and Kristian Zalac and last week another mid season recruit Tommy Tout played his first game for the year also. There is no doubt the 3 are all quality players but it can take time to gel.
  • Oakleigh have finally secured 5th spot (i think) after beating UFTG in a thriller. They are now 2 games clear of 6th spot with only 3 games left to play and no one below them looks capable of catching them. Oakleigh themsleves have Knox and Surrey in the next 2 games but the teams below them also have difficult games. For UFTG its all fallen apart, losing their last 5 games and now Fairpark has jumped over them on the ladder.
  • Chirnside Park have an important win against top 4 side Kilsyth. The win means Chirnside can still finish top 2 with a huge clash against Whitehorse next week to decide who gets the double chance while the loss means Kilsyth will probably finish 4th with games against Scoresby and Whitehorse still to come.
  • Forest Hill record their first win since round 5 defeating Nunawading by 9 points. Their form had been really poor of late and Nunawading were favourites going into the game so well dont to them. For Nunawading its a disapointing loss as they are now back on the bottom of the ladder.

East Burwood hosted finals in 2022 and the ground was in pretty average condition I think that's why they don't have finals anymore
That's BS. The reason is the surface upgrade. Go down after the Junior finals and have a look at the ground. I have already explained why. Go back to post 3813.

The player points system needs to be reviewed in the lower divisions, where there are smaller clubs. Clubs such as Forest Hill and Nunawading are never going to attract large (or any) numbers of juniors when Vermont and Blackburn have systems in place to guarantee that players will go to those clubs instead.
what are those systems?

Couple from the rumour mill

Noble Park looking at a bit of an exodus of experienced players. Martin and Sketcher leaving, others too

East Burwood coach pretty disillusioned with his group and their lack of commitment, no certainty to go for a second year
It’s all kicking off now. Plenty of coaching jobs going but are there enough qualified coaches to fill them. Off season going to be interesting as always 😊

Noble Park looking at a bit of an exodus of experienced players. Martin and Sketcher leaving, others too

East Burwood coach pretty disillusioned with his group and their lack of commitment, no certainty to go for a second year

Heard today East Burwood are looking to replace their coach.

Those 2 were close to going this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard today East Burwood are looking to replace their coach.
Mitcham re appoints Neil Winterton as coach again for season 2025.Started as a playing coach in 2015,3 premierships,a impressive resume and longest serving coach in their history,club formed 1888.Doncaster not disgraced today and good to catch up with some of the Doni boys again.

Last edited:
I haven't heard anything about the Rams coach going, whether on his own or by the club. Mind you I am on the other side of the planet. They win those close games and it's a different story. "Lack of commitment from players", I concur with that, but alas, you have to rub players' balls with talcum powder so you don't hurt their feelings and have them leave. It's interesting what will transpire in the off-season and in saying that I can't blame the coach but turning over another coach in 12 months isn't a good thing.

Martin is 34 and Sketcher 32, doubt either would be a target for a club like Districts, who are looking to win D1 flags. If they’re cashed up then plenty of younger and fitter blokes to recruit rather than old blokes in their twilight.
Sketcher is originally from Springvale, if they don’t go there might see them at a peninsula club up the road and it would also surprise me if Martin left

I haven't heard anything about the Rams coach going, whether on his own or by the club. Mind you I am on the other side of the planet. They win those close games and it's a different story. "Lack of commitment from players", I concur with that, but alas, you have to rub players' balls with talcum powder so you don't hurt their feelings and have them leave. It's interesting what will transpire in the off-season and in saying that I can't blame the coach but turning over another coach in 12 months isn't a good thing.

Yeah that would be the 4th coach in 4 years if he is replaced which is never a good look. There isn't much patience around clubs currently regarding their coaches. We have seen the same with The Basin this year and Wantirna South last year replacing the coach but not improving at all.

More rain and plenty of mud. The byes and split rounds are all finished.

• South Croydon knock off Rowville in a huge boost for their finals chances. But the next fortnight sees them playing Vermont and Balwyn so it doesn't get any easier.
  • Vermont come from 2 goals down at 3/4 time to run over Doncaster East who have been a lot more competitive in the last 5-6 weeks. They might be a bit of a pest for some teams on the run home.
  • Montrose snap a 3 game losing streak defeating Bayswater. A badly needed win but with other results not going their way it looks like a top 3 position will be extremely difficult from here.
  • Park Orchards defeat Beaconsfield by 1 point in a thriller. The win leaves Park Orchards still 3 games clear on top. For Beaconsfield the loss ends their hopes of a top 3 finish.
  • Boronia get over Croydon by 15 points in a low scoring game. The result probably adds to the intrigue with Croydon being the only side to defeat Boronia this year.
  • Waverley Blues lose to Templestowe by 7 goals. Waverley have lost 5 of their 6 last games. They are in a serious form slump and will probably still make finals with games to come against Lilydale, Croydon and The Basin. But they would want to start by beating Lilydale this week.
  • Mulgrave blow a big chance to move into the top 3 by losing to Heathmont. Heathmont are more than a nuisance right now, if not for poor kicking against Lilydale a few weeks back, would have won 6 games in a row.
  • Coldstream lose to FTG in the mud and may have blown there top 3 chances with Knox now overtaking them with only 2 games remaining. A very tricky game against Fairpark away this week is a must win for Coldstream. For Knox their last 2 are against FTG and Warrandyte so its very unlikely they would drop either.
  • Cant believe I'm saying this again, but FTG could still play finals. They are only 1 game and 8% behind Oakleigh Districts who are 5th. Both teams will probably lose this week to Knox and Surrey Park. The 2 clubs will then face each in the last round. There is a much greater chance of Oakleigh having a larger loss to Surrey as the Surrey Park ground is in great condition. I cant see high scoring at FTG next week with more rain coming in the next few days.
  • Big statement win by Chirnside Park against Whitehorse by 7 goals. The wins means they will finish top 2 unless they drop a game to Nunawading or Forest Hill.
  • CNMLOC get their 3rd win of the year over Forest Hill.

Remove this Banner Ad

NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back