NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Kyle Martin is playing his last game for noble this weekend with Luke bull

Or maybe to coach Sorrento
Interesting….Sorrento wouldn’t be my first choice as a first year coach. They eat ‘em alive’ if performance is poor.
Feel sorry for Polholke who got shafted from there.
Would’ve thought Kyle would do an apprenticeship first or coach at a lower level standard first….to test the waters so to speak.

Bulleen Temp have posted a statement indicating they'll be looking to join the league next year.
Fair play to them for giving it a crack, posted a few times on here they struggle to keep players through their u19/junior program. I dunno if the EFNL will win them over, canterbury tried and failed. I feel like their reserves have finished last for 5+ years, seniors saved by covid/restructuring from relegation last few.

On a brighter note it gives division four 8 teams and no bye. And all 8 (including warrandyte) are quite close to each other. Will watch BT's progress with interest.

It's not new club so competition for players already exists.

There is still a point of difference in an amateur club which makes them not so much a direct competitor. The EFNL has a great reputation as a competition which clubs largely enjoy.

I wouldn’t be rapt with another EFNL club being dumped on my doorstep when my area isn’t exactly flush with young footballers.

Getting close to saturation point in the east. There’s been a relentless drive for 10-20 for expansion but at some point the existing clubs - which actually own the league - need to come first.

There is still a point of difference in an amateur club which makes them not so much a direct competitor. The EFNL has a great reputation as a competition which clubs largely enjoy.

I wouldn’t be rapt with another EFNL club being dumped on my doorstep when my area isn’t exactly flush with young footballers.

Getting close to saturation point in the east. There’s been a relentless drive for 10-20 for expansion but at some point the existing clubs - which actually own the league - need to come first.
If you're one of 7 sides in Divvy 4 then I think you would be wrapped to have an extra side or two. Templestowe and Bulleen Templestowe wouldn't be in same division and pretty sure Templestowe would have every confidence in their own systems as a long established Eastern side.

If you're one of 7 sides in Divvy 4 then I think you would be wrapped to have an extra side or two. Templestowe and Bulleen Templestowe wouldn't be in same division and pretty sure Templestowe would have every confidence in their own systems as a long established Eastern side.

Interestingly the only reason there is 7 sides is because Glen Waverley folded when the playing group up and moved to Oakleigh District, another club allowed to transfer into the EFNL.

Monash is another area with low player numbers yet there was the stupid decision to first allow Glen Waverley and then Oakleigh into the comp. In the end one ate and swallowed the other. But I’m sure Mulgrave and Waverley Blues were rapt.

Have to think longer term than just being a couple of divisions apart now.

It’s just all about expansion from HQ and bugger the clubs that actually built the league - and nobody gives a shit unless it’s their club that is directly affected.

Interestingly the only reason there is 7 sides is because Glen Waverley folded when the playing group up and moved to Oakleigh District, another club allowed to transfer into the EFNL.

Monash is another area with low player numbers yet there was the stupid decision to first allow Glen Waverley and then Oakleigh into the comp. In the end one ate and swallowed the other. But I’m sure Mulgrave and Waverley Blues were rapt.

It’s just all about expansion from HQ and bugger the clubs that actually built the league - and nobody gives a shit unless it’s their club that is directly affected.

Ideally there is no bye and needs to be more than 7 teams in divvy 4 section for healthy comp. I think we agree on some points however i don't expect Templestowe would feel threatened. Their competition is more likely to come from Doncaster or Doncaster East.

Ideally there is no bye and needs to be more than 7 teams in divvy 4 section for healthy comp. I think we agree on some points however i don't expect Templestowe would feel threatened. Their competition is more likely to come from Doncaster or Doncaster East.

Be interesting to see what happens in future - personally I don’t expect Berwick or Beaconsfield to stick around given Cranbourne, Narre, Doveton, Hampton Park are now in Southern. Might be in a few years but I expect they’ll drift to a more natural home. That would be 46 clubs so 8 each in D3 and D4.

Norwood are a mess and struggling to put reserves out

Doncaster are faring better but not by much

The bottom three in D4 have been cut adrift

Forest Hill are a watch - junior club has folded and senior club battling higely

Nunawading - how long can that continue?

CNMLOC are said to have lost touch with the school - the merger with which is what saw them established.

Four divisions seems a little more “right” and in a decade we may find it back there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was the EFNL I would be more concerned about retaining sides then aiming for 50 sides.A real concern is the senior sides that do not have juniors and we all know currently they are the bottom 3 in D4.No.1 for all senior clubs and even the AFL is the" growth" of our game in the junior ranks starting at Aus kick especially with the increase in population from overseas, people moving into the eastern suburbs espercially.How do we get these people involved in our game,how does a club start a junior club from scratch,schools would be a starter.How many people especially in the strong senior clubs realise that the most important part of a senior football club is their juniors.On a positive side Bulleen TYemplestowe seem a good fit for D4 because they have a good junior program.

Two clubs went from Ammo’s into NFNL this season and both did well - one in finals and one just missing. So they had a lot to add to their league as BT may do to the EFNL. 8 teams in Div 4 is a good thing. The AFL and local leagues need to get more involved in Auskick, Junior participation and Volunteer help - too much is left to too few in clubland in many cases.

GWH and OD would have both been in the league if not for the actions of a few.

A good Junior Program is a solid start but the issue is the transition from Junior Club Parent / Volunteer to Senior Club Parent / Volunteer. The retention rate once their kids step up to the Senior group seems to be an issue most clubs face.

Wonder what Templestowe will have to say. Not exactly a booming footy area and another EFNL club on their doorstep. Not sure how rapt I’d be at my league’s admin always looking to do this with new clubs. Surely #1 priority is to support existing clubs.
What is the process? do the club presidents vote on each applicant?

like the MPFNL, so all the club presidents all band together drinking their fancy peninsula wine and say no like they do to cranbourne every year? hahaha

Much higher division, can't see them playing each other in a while anyway

Be interesting to see what happens in future - personally I don’t expect Berwick or Beaconsfield to stick around given Cranbourne, Narre, Doveton, Hampton Park are now in Southern. Might be in a few years but I expect they’ll drift to a more natural home. That would be 46 clubs so 8 each in D3 and D4.

Norwood are a mess and struggling to put reserves out

Doncaster are faring better but not by much

The bottom three in D4 have been cut adrift

Forest Hill are a watch - junior club has folded and senior club battling higely

Nunawading - how long can that continue?

CNMLOC are said to have lost touch with the school - the merger with which is what saw them established.

Four divisions seems a little more “right” and in a decade we may find it back there.

Im going into bat for CNMLOC:
That link with mount lilydale was gone after year 1, a mate told me, the only reason ML are still in the club name is because there was a minimum time clause added when they became a club not to change it. Which hurts because they have barely any 1 pointers, no school attendees. Anyone who has played higher than D4 is a 2 pointer

Anyhow they have shown real improvement in the latter stages of year anyway, their reserves playing finals and seniors have a healthy %, they touched up nunawading last round who look just as shambolic as other years after they added Salmantri. Took some of his former club manningham's players on his way out of there, who knows how much longer they will stay being rooted to the bottom of the bottom division.

Forest Hill I don't know too much about. The junior club shutting their doors is not a great sign. Again the local area is being flooded with people who dont give a s*** about football. Tough times for them.

Hidden connotation there Bunk ‘One swallowed the other’ 🤣

Im going into bat for CNMLOC:
That link with mount lilydale was gone after year 1, a mate told me, the only reason ML are still in the club name is because there was a minimum time clause added when they became a club not to change it. Which hurts because they have barely any 1 pointers, no school attendees. Anyone who has played higher than D4 is a 2 pointer

Anyhow they have shown real improvement in the latter stages of year anyway, their reserves playing finals and seniors have a healthy %, they touched up nunawading last round who look just as shambolic as other years after they added Salmantri. Took some of his former club manningham's players on his way out of there, who knows how much longer they will stay being rooted to the bottom of the bottom division.

Forest Hill I don't know too much about. The junior club shutting their doors is not a great sign. Again the local area is being flooded with people who dont give a s*** about football. Tough times for them.
Watched the last half of Nunawading v Croydon North last Saturday,CNMLOC looked good,have pushed some of the top sides over the last few weeks but have I watched the worst of Nunawading last Saturday.Nunawading I also saw a few weeks back and they pushed Chirnside Park and were in front at 3 qt time A positive about Nunawading is even though they are down and out they continue to field 2 senior sides each week.

Watched the last half of Nunawading v Croydon North last Saturday,CNMLOC looked good,have pushed some of the top sides over the last few weeks but have I watched the worst of Nunawading last Saturday.Nunawading I also saw a few weeks back and they pushed Chirnside Park and were in front at 3 qt time A positive about Nunawading is even though they are down and out they continue to field 2 senior sides each week.
Yep, looking at their results it seems they've lost troops as the year has gone on and CNMLOC have gained or regained them. Without a junior connection its that tough. Just saw on CN's website they have got a u9 team up. At least its something. They were probably sold on a school connection that wasn't there in the merge

I know that Blackburn spend a lot of effort recruiting Junior players, but how can you have a large Primary on the other side of your fence and not be able to recruit. Old Orchard, Kerrimuir, Whitehorse, St Philips and Blackburn Primary schools all within 2km of Nunawading and they don't have an U8 or 9 or 10 team for boys or girls. You need to have some vision, start somewhere and persist.

Using Nunawading as an example a big ask to focus on getting a junior club up when I suspect they are struggling to get off field support for their seniors with their lack of success on field for a long period of time.
Until they start and keep persisting then nothing will change. If they keep doing the same as now, then eventually the club will fold. The longer they leave it, the harder it will be. It won't be easy, that's for sure, but they must start acting.

Remove this Banner Ad

NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back