NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Already plenty of reasons to fear for Nunawading, Norwood now raiding their playing stocks will make things harder.

Norwood in a world of pain from what I have been told. They struggled to fill a reserves team for most of the year and I am told numerous senior players are moving on too. The money has run out and when Pask finished up the rot started to set in with many close to him going including coaching staff. The club is not in a great space unfortunately and getting players from Nunawading certainly is a sign of their current plight.

Kudos to Mitcham yesterday. You are only as good as your foot soldiers and Mitcham has a few platoons.
A big thank you to the Mitcham FNC on a great day.

Side note, can anyone update on the player who broke his leg in the Seniors early in the game?

Note from Croydon FB page:

MESSAGE FROM MARK DOUEAL
Natalie and I would like to thank our trainers Kerrie and Robbo, and Hayley’s friend Kate Brien in the professional care given while waiting for the ambulance to arrive. As concerned parents we are extremely thankful to you three for your care of Kane.
A big shout out to the CFNC community, who have contacted us in regard to Kane’s welfare.
Kane has just had surgery after a horrific 36 hrs.
We are both so appreciative of the support shown by the CFNC. We really appreciate it very much.

Wow. Very interesting strategy.
They’re already announced two Nunawading players including their captain.
Think luke morris and konrad bendrups were vice captain and captain. (at least their shitshow of a team sheet says so) And i've got it on good authority they are looking to return to manningham/old yarra after they went back down a grade.

Big pain if they lose them plus the boys to norwood. Speaking on norwood all i've seen is a bunch of kid resigning posts. At least they have a vision and a way forward now. Could be a double drop on the cards.

Note from Croydon FB page:

MESSAGE FROM MARK DOUEAL
Natalie and I would like to thank our trainers Kerrie and Robbo, and Hayley’s friend Kate Brien in the professional care given while waiting for the ambulance to arrive. As concerned parents we are extremely thankful to you three for your care of Kane.
A big shout out to the CFNC community, who have contacted us in regard to Kane’s welfare.
Kane has just had surgery after a horrific 36 hrs.
We are both so appreciative of the support shown by the CFNC. We really appreciate it very much.
It was horrific and kudos to the Boronia player for alerting the umpire to stop the game. Wish Kane a speedy recovery.

Why leave Mitcham,money is not every thing.We have worked so hard to rebuild our club and to see all the work our volunteers did at the MCG of the East yesterday.Over 100 of them including many young and old from the Mitcham Junior Club including parents of senior players who jumped on board to help us.We had the ground cleaned up within an hour,Whitehorse Council do a great job looking after the ground,some of the best facilities in the eastern suburbs thanks to a lot of hard work by a few behind the scenes by the football and cricket clubs to get the rebuild.For a lot of us we call it our 2nd home and the tiger army is getting bigger and bigger supporter wise.The next step is our biggest,be competitive in Premier get sponsors on board and more people on board the tiger train.

Problem is money is everything to some players. Then you have the clubs that only have that as an incentive to play there. Recent case study Powelltown FNC bought two flags. It’s the blight on football.

Problem is money is everything to some players. Then you have the clubs that only have that as an incentive to play there. Recent case study Powelltown FNC bought two flags. It’s the blight on football.
Money has become a problem since the salary cap was cut in half & had not bought back to the level pre-covid. Yes teams aren't adhering to it, but if the salary cap was $175k for Div 1 (2019 and back) then teams who bided by it were able to pay their players.
And now since everything has increased earning an extra 100-200 a game makes a massive difference

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Money has become a problem since the salary cap was cut in half & had not bought back to the level pre-covid. Yes teams aren't adhering to it, but if the salary cap was $175k for Div 1 (2019 and back) then teams who bided by it were able to pay their players.
And now since everything has increased earning an extra 100-200 a game makes a massive difference

$175k is an AVERAGE of $450 per player per game for a season.

That’s excessive. In fact, it’s ridiculous for second division footballers.

What didn't help was when the VFL dropped the reserves team and continued with seniors only. Flooded local footy with players who demanded high coin by virtue of where they had been. Even if they only played 12 games in the reserves. Some clubs would refuse the demands and players would try elsewhere.

Last edited:
What didn't help was when the VFL dropped the reserves team and continued with seniors only. Flooded local footy with players who demanded high coin by virtue of where they had been. Even if they only played 12 teams in the reserves. Some clubs would refuse the demands and players would try elsewhere.
Agree to this, it also allowed players out of TAC Cup and aged 18-22 played in this comp which enhance their development.

Now we see 18 year old demanding high dollars but aren't worth the $$$

sorry div 2 was 110k - div 1 was $150k - but this still allowed to pay players more... which also meant prem standard players stayed in prem

I reckon there is probably 5-6 Premier clubs who want to see the caps jacked up as much as possible.

For the simple reason that they know the other 40 clubs can’t compete, so it means they only have 5 real opponents, not 48.

I’d bet the rest of the clubs would happily see the cap stay where it is or even drop.

So what are we doing here - listening to the crap from a noisy minority who have pokies and/or sugar daddies, or trying to keep viability across all clubs.

What didn't help was when the VFL dropped the reserves team and continued with seniors only. Flooded local footy with players who demanded high coin by virtue of where they had been. Even if they only played 12 games in the reserves. Some clubs would refuse the demands and players would try elsewhere.

Doesn’t help that the salary caps are treated like toilet paper.

Balwyn hit reply all (rather than reply) on an email to every club, telling the league to put the cap back to $250k.

Vermont have whinged about it thru the media many times. They did again just recently with Craig Gislingham, played in about 15 purchased premierships, having a good whinge about it. I suppose that makes him an expert on it, I’m sure like his club he tells himself how a great culture, hard work and good people achieved all the premierships.

Remove this Banner Ad

NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back